KTM 50 Advice

You know what you’re 100% right. 60:1 is pretty lean. I was thinking the other way. So many things to think about haha. I’m prob over thinking it. I’ll just run it and change the oil. Start basic.

The less you tinker, the less headaches you will have.
YES! I learned that the hard way.... ;)

Of course, to be fair, I started with a 2009 KTM 50 Jr. As good of shape it was in, I tinkered. If I would have just bought a new carb, I would have saved thousands...well, hundreds. Guess I was counting my labor hours... ;)

Let my little guy ride it yesterday. First time on and he did good. Backyard is a little muddy but he turned the bike and got on the gas. He had the fear but once that wore off he goes “it’s fast, I like it”. Excited to see him progress on it and how that will transfer over to the PW. We will finish out the year on the PW since he’s 6. Then start adding the GasGas throughout the year. Thanks for the tips guys. Don’t be surprised when I inbox you with more questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.MOV
    7.1 MB
I’m excited to get into this thing and play with it. Just want to start out on the right foot. I’ve got enough invested that I don’t want to screw it up off the rip.
Is it worth it to just buy the VP premixed fuel? Something like T2? I see an 50:1 premixed VP. Manual says 60:1 which seems like a lot. Is it ok to lean it out a little?
Run 93 pump gas froma good station and mix it 60:1. Don't change that, it won't run correctly. Race fuel is a waste of money on a stock bike, it actually burns cooler to allow for more timing without detonation so it will actually make less power with a stock set up.

Change the oil EVERY SINGLE RIDE. Use the cheapest dextron automatic trans fluid you can find.

Clean the flywheel and stator often and make sure it's dry before you put the cover back on.

Check the torque on the 4 bolts that hold the intake to the case. If you ever have running issues that will be the cause. I ended up using sealant on that gasket and never had an issue again.

Adjust your clutch properly. If your kid is not aggressive, adjust it to the lowest setting. I think 6 clicks but I'm not sure. As he gets more aggressive change it. Letting it slip too much is the number one cause of failure and heat build up that roaches a stator.

That's all I can remember now. Lol

Run 93 pump gas froma good station and mix it 60:1. Don't change that, it won't run correctly. Race fuel is a waste of money on a stock bike, it actually burns cooler to allow for more timing without detonation so it will actually make less power with a stock set up.

Change the oil EVERY SINGLE RIDE. Use the cheapest dextron automatic trans fluid you can find.

Clean the flywheel and stator often and make sure it's dry before you put the cover back on.

Check the torque on the 4 bolts that hold the intake to the case. If you ever have running issues that will be the cause. I ended up using sealant on that gasket and never had an issue again.

Adjust your clutch properly. If your kid is not aggressive, adjust it to the lowest setting. I think 6 clicks but I'm not sure. As he gets more aggressive change it. Letting it slip too much is the number one cause of failure and heat build up that roaches a stator.

That's all I can remember now. Lol
I appreciate all the information!

Today was our first real day of him trying to ride it. Went to a big field by my house and let him get used to the throttle. He started out with a lot of chicken wing. So much wing we could have fed the whole county. The he started to get it. He’s real worried about popping a wheelie but we just wanted him to get used to how the throttle felt.

After about 15 minutes he was doing good and called it a day. We will hope for our yard to dry out a little bit and get him back on it. Total run time since new about 12 minutes lol. Gonna let him get half way through the gas tank and then change the oil.

As for clutch adjusting give me a little more info on that? I saw something in the manual but don’t really understand.

I appreciate all the information!

Today was our first real day of him trying to ride it. Went to a big field by my house and let him get used to the throttle. He started out with a lot of chicken wing. So much wing we could have fed the whole county. The he started to get it. He’s real worried about popping a wheelie but we just wanted him to get used to how the throttle felt.

After about 15 minutes he was doing good and called it a day. We will hope for our yard to dry out a little bit and get him back on it. Total run time since new about 12 minutes lol. Gonna let him get half way through the gas tank and then change the oil.

As for clutch adjusting give me a little more info on that? I saw something in the manual but don’t really understand.
Yeah...the dreaded chicken wing... :) The IRP clutch helps with that a little in the way it engages, but mostly as you are doing, it just takes time to get used to it it seems. On a Cobra there is no adjustment with the stock clutch so it's an all or nothing type of dealio...

Adjusting the clutch is pretty easy. 8mm t-handle is all you need. I didn't have the stock clutch all that long as we went to the IRP Triple Grip Clutch. It's a superior clutch, but not necessary. Has a more consistent and manual clutch engagement. Before I bought one, I called https://intuitiveracing.racing/ and talked at length before buying. My stock clutch was worn out and this more so seemed like the best replacement. Your situation may not warrant this cost. Just an option.

You can Google on the adjustment. I'll let the others comment more on the proper adjustment in their experience, but do be sure to adjust all adjustments to the same setting. Seems like a no brainer I know, but just in case.... As Hershey says above, be careful with the slip in the clutch. It causes heat and premature wear. The more slip you adjust to, just be more mindful on the tranny oil. More slip (and chicken wing) will obviously had the potential to burn it up quicker and gum up plates with fiber residue, etc. due to poor maintenance. The adjustment is definitely a benefit to the KTM, etc. stock set up in the beginning, but can be a detriment if you do not adjust it right.

There are 3 allen bolts inside on the clutch. Turning them in or out determines the stall speed of the clutch( rpm it engages at ). Starting out your want it to engage as soon as possible. It makes it far easier to ride. As your son progresses you can add to the rpm it engages at. The more aggressive he becomes with the throttle, the less slip you'll have at the higher rpm engagement.

Like Scood said, youtube it! But honestly start at the lowest rpm setting you can.

Back