Over heated.

hershey

PR Elite
This battery powered bike is not on fire. Just over heated. So how are battery powered motocross bikes going to do in extreme mud conditions or perhaps on one of the those 95° Ohio summer days?

Look at mx bikes in 1925. They sucked, look at 4 strikes in the early 90s, they sucked. Electric bikes are already pretty darn good and only getting better. Like it or not, they are going to take over as soon as the bugs are worked out. Batteries are really the only major hurdle left. Personally I think they also need a clutch lever and a plc control to make it feel like a clutch is working and a foot gear shift for the mode select.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Motocross Action magazine did a bike review on KTM's electric bike in their December issue.
They stated overheating was an issue for the manufacturers. Article said the Freeride E-XC was originally intended to be air cooled but ended up having to add the radiators and liquid cooling.
In their MAIL ENTRIES, MXA had answered criticism toward the magazine for not giving the Varg a ride review, and their reply was that the manufactures had technical issues, and none of the manufacturers will give them a bike for an extended time frame to run it through the full treatment that regular bikes face.

Last edited:

John250

PR Founding Father
Exactly. Give MXA a bike. Let them race it a couple classes every weekend for 6 months, and lets get the real story on them. I am just guessing, it will not be a pretty story.

Funny we really haven't seen a extended ride test on the Ebike 50s. If so, I missed it. Anyone seen one?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Not to jump on this bandwagon, but when we raced at 62, we pitted next to about the only outlet in the place and they we had 3 e bikes crammed in next to us so they could charge between motos. Actually tripped the breaker one time. Is what it is. Like it was said, it'll get better. the Model T had it's issues...