2023 MERP Grand-Prix Series

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Our transponders are sport tag which is the same company GNCC uses but not the same ones that motocross events use.
Could this sports tag keep track of people racing motocross because in woods and gncc they have to slow down. Would it work still if you passed with speed?

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Could this sports tag keep track of people racing motocross because in woods and gncc they have to slow down. Would it work still if you passed with speed?
You can go through as fast as you want as I understand it.

We slow riders down through our scoring to hand score helmet stickers for backup.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
You can go through as fast as you want as I understand it.

We slow riders down through our scoring to hand score helmet stickers for backup.
Okay so if these sports tags would work for racing but probably more inexpensive then buying a transponder why don’t tracks go to these to make scoring easier. Nothing is easier scoring than transponders but transponders are expensive and weekend warriors obviously don’t wanna pay that. Are these tags cheaper ?

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Okay so if these sports tags would work for racing but probably more inexpensive then buying a transponder why don’t tracks go to these to make scoring easier. Nothing is easier scoring than transponders but transponders are expensive and weekend warriors obviously don’t wanna pay that. Are these tags cheaper ?
693863F2-D94C-4F54-A2FC-7B21BF5E3C01.jpeg

Sport tag is the company name and this is their transponder. Pricing is about the exact same as my laps transponders I think.

Software, Hardware and the transponders themselves are an expensive start up and there’s a lot of headache that comes with troubleshooting the system. From the tracks I’ve talked to they don’t to pay to have the headache. Ladies with pens and paper is easier on their eyes.

Vet261

PR Addict
Sport tags are less expensive because you don't have to purchase a subscription with them.

The one time purchase price of the unit is about the same. ($90 for sporttag, $105'ish for Mylaps with one year subscription). However you then have to renew your MyLaps every year. Jeez I think I've had my transponder for over 10 years now.

Obviously another difference is you have to charge the My Laps.

When I just recently raced the Wild Boar GNCC I came really close to accidentally owning my Sport tag....was on the way out and suddenly realized I didn't turn it back in.

MX099

PR Addict
Sport tags are less expensive because you don't have to purchase a subscription with them.

The one time purchase price of the unit is about the same. ($90 for sporttag, $105'ish for Mylaps with one year subscription). However you then have to renew your MyLaps every year. Jeez I think I've had my transponder for over 10 years now.

Obviously another difference is you have to charge the My Laps.

When I just recently raced the Wild Boar GNCC I came really close to accidentally owning my Sport tag....was on the way out and suddenly realized I didn't turn it back in.
The Sports Tag has a 3 year life span.
I saw you ran the AM. Was that your first GNCC?

Vet261

PR Addict
I get this irresistible urge to switch to GNCC then I see what last weekend was like in Georgia…..hahaha.
We actually had a semi-plan put together in case I wanted to hit GA on way home from FL. Then I saw weather forecast and was like yeah forget all that.

I think the biggest thing about actually going to and racing a GNCC is realizing how big of prima-donna pussies we are in MX. We prance around waiting for our 4 lap moto thinking it's tough. Oh wait, LL Regionals are 7 laps now -- we must be iron men! LOL I raced two events in FL and put 6.1 hrs on my bike.

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
We actually had a semi-plan put together in case I wanted to hit GA on way home from FL. Then I saw weather forecast and was like yeah forget all that.

I think the biggest thing about actually going to and racing a GNCC is realizing how big of prima-donna pussies we are in MX. We prance around waiting for our 4 lap moto thinking it's tough. Oh wait, LL Regionals are 7 laps now -- we must be iron men! LOL I raced two events in FL and put 6.1 hrs on my bike.
Lol...exactly. Since I started my racing career doing Hare scrambles I have thought that forever. I see these mx races cancelled all the time and have to laugh, they NEVER canceled hare scrambles and rarely mx back in the 80s and 90s.

I remember more mud races than I want to, but even though they were horrible they were still really fun. Probably not so much now that I'm old, fat and slow.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict

Yeah GNCC dudes are absolute savages. Never complain about the course - thrash their machines every race and they are happy to do it!

They’re fit, impressive bike skills. I have a lot of respect for off road guys.

My first GNCC everyone was so nice and helpful. Much different vibe than motocross.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
I mean, I get it, we are "spoiled" in MX with groomed tracks, not liking a little mud, etc. Kinda like the Granville of the towns in my area. But...it's what we like. Besides, the waiting around only gets old when you're old...er. Spencer has a blast playing in the dirt in between motos...lol.

Kinda going with what Hershey said, at my age at least, I think GNCC might kick my arse...if I tried to go "fast" (a relative term in this context). I know a couple 3 years back we went to one of the Tomahawk Trail loops in the northern part of the lower peninsula in Michigan (a lot of good trails up there). Mind you, this after severe straight line winds and storm came through a couple days prior... I never been on the ground more in my life. Even had a head over hills to flat on my back experience when I thought I could treat a downed tree like a small whoop...lol. I had a good time and survived, but wasn't asking to go back soon...lol.

Me being a fan of air time, well, sometimes not enough to fit my fancy in the off road trail world at times. I am only kinds fast in a straight line...lol. That's not to say them dudes aren't bad arse. Amazing how they treat obstacles like flat ground. Fun to watch. That's also not to say I would never eva eva do a GNCC, just that they would more than likely be far and in between event. GPs are more my style in that arena. Not knowing the crowd, I would think it would be more of the good old boys compared to the more stuck up folks in MX. I'd guess GNCC folk would be fun to hang around...

Just my two cents and perception in not really knowing. Most I know is the Blackwater 100 river crossing and if my memory treats me right, that's not even a thing any more.... And in checking the vid out below...I guess this is a Harescramble? Yeah, I do not know the difference between a Harescramble and a GNCC. They are the same to me...

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Yeah GNCC dudes are absolute savages. Never complain about the course - thrash their machines every race and they are happy to do it!

They’re fit, impressive bike skills. I have a lot of respect for off road guys.

My first GNCC everyone was so nice and helpful. Much different vibe than motocross.
Only reason I don’t wanna race a GNCC on my own bike. It destroys the bikes. Even when it’s not muddy it destroys the bikes. Like who wants to go blow a minimum 10k and trash it in one race. If I ever thought about riding one I would either do it not on my own bike or on a two stroke just cause their cheaper to rebuild

MX099

PR Addict
Only reason I don’t wanna race a GNCC on my own bike. It destroys the bikes. Even when it’s not muddy it destroys the bikes. Like who wants to go blow a minimum 10k and trash it in one race. If I ever thought about riding one I would either do it not on my own bike or on a two stroke just cause their cheaper to rebuild
About 1500-2000 people a race weekend. Much better turnout than MX.

hershey

PR Elite
The amount of money you spend fixing your bike from riding it 3 hours would suck though.
It's not as bad as you make it out to be. Yeah it's not showroom new anymore but it's not trashed by any stretch. Sure a heavy mud race will trash it but so would a real mud race in mx. It's just that today's mx riders have this same mentality and stay home now.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Only reason I don’t wanna race a GNCC on my own bike. It destroys the bikes. Even when it’s not muddy it destroys the bikes. Like who wants to go blow a minimum 10k and trash it in one race. If I ever thought about riding one I would either do it not on my own bike or on a two stroke just cause their cheaper to rebuild I think the better their riding-racing skills develop the less wear and tear on their machines it is.
Provided the tracks aren't all mud-fest's, I'm thinking that the better a riders' skills develop, the easier it is on the machines. Also had to be easier when new bikes could be bought for $6000.

I have a friend and old co-worker whose son raced several GNCC seasons on KTM200's. He actually got good enough that he was getting sponsorship help.
His dad and a neighbor handled all of the wrenching and bike prep so that he was able to just focus on school and riding. They would have all of the expected wear and tear, wheels/tires, smashed pipes, etc. but I was very impressed how the bikes held up overall to the hours and race pace. He now races full time Pro-UTV.

Last edited:

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
3 hours is hard on a bike. The engine gets so hot and it’s not like you can put more coolant in it mid Moto. Also when it’s muddy these dudes blow bikes up because the water is so bad they just suck it in. Unless it’s a two stroke I wouldn’t wanna do it. Two strokes are cheaper to rebuild. I also don’t think I would even bother with any graphics except numbers because your going to destroy the plastics from trees and branches

MX099

PR Addict
3 hours is hard on a bike. The engine gets so hot and it’s not like you can put more coolant in it mid Moto. Also when it’s muddy these dudes blow bikes up because the water is so bad they just suck it in. Unless it’s a two stroke I wouldn’t wanna do it. Two strokes are cheaper to rebuild. I also don’t think I would even bother with any graphics except numbers because your going to destroy the plastics from trees and branches
Matt you being a taller rider you would catch on and do well in GNCC.
I ran a full GNCC schedule in the 50+ class am bikes (2hr) on a YZ450FX. You make changes to your bike to handle the conditions. You run better coolants, radiator fans and flywheel weights to calm the motors down. Because you run a more woods specific tire compound you don’t go through any more tires than you would racing MX. Other than scratching up the plastics, ( if you change it to white and use plenty of SC1 you would never notice), I didn’t spend any more money on bike maintenance than a MX season. Also GNCC is no Hairscramble. It’s not bar wide and less single track. They build the courses with 4 foot wide dozers.
I don’t know anyone who has raced a GNCC and said I’ll never do that again.

Last edited: