New for 2023 Chest and Back Protection

Tom

PR Elite

Chest and Back Protection Will Be Required For All Youth Classes in AMA Competition in 2023​

by Slaw DogJanuary 23, 2023, 10:28 am

Whoa, the American Motorcyclist Association has announced a massive change to the 2023 AMA Racing Rules for the upcoming season.
We got a tip regarding the change and checked the rulebook, which you can find here, and boom there it was.
Going forward, chest AND back protection will be required for ALL competitors in Youth Classes in AMA competition. It is highly recommended that it be worn by all competitors.

I don’t think this is a bad thing at all. I guess I don’t know of many kids who don’t run some sort of “chest protector”. Just add it to having to wear a helmet and boots. No big deal.

I don’t think this is a bad thing at all. I guess I don’t know of many kids who don’t run some sort of “chest protector”. Just add it to having to wear a helmet and boots. No big deal.
It's a big deal. Most people do it but for some reason people are starting to have the same attitude you have. At what point is freedom of choice not an issue anymore? What people aren't seeing is the bar keeps getting raised, freedom of choice has a meaning, this isn't it.

It's a big deal. Most people do it but for some reason people are starting to have the same attitude you have. At what point is freedom of choice not an issue anymore? What people aren't seeing is the bar keeps getting raised, freedom of choice has a meaning, this isn't it.
I see where you’re coming from. But there is a difference between over reach and common sense safety.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know all the rules for what gear must and must not be on a rider. A BMX helmet is still a helmet. But is it the best option for the task at hand. The answer is NO. So wearing something that we know 100% helps the rider during a crash seems logical. Now if you want to debate the effectiveness of a safety product like a neck brace. That’s a different topic. I get fighting the fight for over reach but I don’t think this is the hill to die on. But at some point we will be talking about the fact there are to many rules.

It's a big deal.
ISN'T a big deal. Quit making mountains out of mole hills Hershey...

You know it's more so to protect the stupid. Well, their offspring. Which translates to ruffling the feathers of the some that have common sense and gets some of them to stoop to the stupid level and start whining. They're not making each competitor wear a Tutu or a specific brand of gear, just something simple that may prevent injury. I say "may" because "most" of us know that there isn't a piece of equipment that protects the rider from themselves 100%.

Before reading any responses, I knew this was going to end up being a "You can't force me to wear that. It's my right not to..." :(

I get it, but at some point you have to let parents, parent and make decisions for their own off spring.
Right, you get it and what you say is somewhat true and the way I feel. At least us of decent mind want to believe it is possible to be true, but have you seen some of the parents? Heck, the kid barely has clothes on let alone the gear to keep them safe...

It's not really for the parents that still have at least half the sense left that God gave them, it's for those that choose not to use it. Definitely impedes on the rest of us in terms of personal space and decision making, but is "life" in work, play, Ain't one person on here that can tell me a "rule" was put in place not for the decisions they made, but for those that defy common sense and/or lack the ability to execute it. As most of us know, you just can't fix stupid.

No sweat off my back as I already have Spencer wear one. Seems like common sense to me. May not be for others and that is fine, but data somewhere says the pain of wearing them outweigh the pain from the result of an injury it could have prevented... Like I said, this one makes sense to me. Just sucks it has to be a "rule" before it makes any sort of sense to some...

ISN'T a big deal. Quit making mountains out of mole hills Hershey...

You know it's more so to protect the stupid. Well, their offspring. Which translates to ruffling the feathers of the some that have common sense and gets some of them to stoop to the stupid level and start whining. They're not making each competitor wear a Tutu or a specific brand of gear, just something simple that may prevent injury. I say "may" because "most" of us know that there isn't a piece of equipment that protects the rider from themselves 100%.

Before reading any responses, I knew this was going to end up being a "You can't force me to wear that. It's my right not to..." :(

Right, you get it and what you say is somewhat true and the way I feel. At least us of decent mind want to believe it is possible to be true, but have you seen some of the parents? Heck, the kid barely has clothes on let alone the gear to keep them safe...

It's not really for the parents that still have at least half the sense left that God gave them, it's for those that choose not to use it. Definitely impedes on the rest of us in terms of personal space and decision making, but is "life" in work, play, Ain't one person on here that can tell me a "rule" was put in place not for the decisions they made, but for those that defy common sense and/or lack the ability to execute it. As most of us know, you just can't fix stupid.

No sweat off my back as I already have Spencer wear one. Seems like common sense to me. May not be for others and that is fine, but data somewhere says the pain of wearing them outweigh the pain from the result of an injury it could have prevented... Like I said, this one makes sense to me. Just sucks it has to be a "rule" before it makes any sort of sense to some...
Sorry scoob, it is already a mountain. No go pros already, why? 1 person possibly got hurt? And if it's such a safety issue, why not require everyone to wear them like helmets? Most pros don't wear them, why? Most pros wear helmets, why?

The AMA isn't here to parent children, they are here to organize racing. Besides, 99% of kids out there racing already wear them, so why bother making it a rule? I believe you're an idiot for not using them but I'm also more for freedom of choice. People like you and Todd are why our rights are slowly being stripped away.

Next they are going to require kidney belts.

Sorry scoob, it is already a mountain. No go pros already, why? 1 person possibly got hurt? And if it's such a safety issue, why not require everyone to wear them like helmets? Most pros don't wear them, why? Most pros wear helmets, why?

The AMA isn't here to parent children, they are here to organize racing. Besides, 99% of kids out there racing already wear them, so why bother making it a rule? I believe you're an idiot for not using them but I'm also more for freedom of choice. People like you and Todd are why our rights are slowly being stripped away.

Next they are going to require kidney belts.
Now you are just being silly. Expected. This rule is not for you or me. It's for the idiot's you talk about above. That's kind of this issue here Hershey. Idiots. Is why there is a rule in the first place. Is why someone more intelligent has to take the fall and let it go. I am not saying it doesn't suck to be an extent as if I fell like being an idiot one day, hell, I can't even do that... Dammit... ;)

Now you are just being silly. Expected. This rule is not for you or me. It's for the idiot's you talk about above. That's kind of this issue here Hershey. Idiots. Is why there is a rule in the first place. Is why someone more intelligent has to take the fall and let it go. I am not saying it doesn't suck to be an extent as if I fell like being an idiot one day, hell, I can't even do that... Dammit... ;)
All I'm saying is that one day we won't be able to make a choice about anything we do any more of things keep going this way. Each little thing is no big deal until you realize you've lost everything.

All I'm saying is that one day we won't be able to make a choice about anything we do any more of things keep going this way. Each little thing is no big deal until you realize you've lost everything.
I get it bro, but in my eye, we're on the same side, just at the extremes. You're worried about our freedom and I'm thinking we have plenty that allows idiots be idiots way too much. I feel a little pull back on protecting us and those peeps from themselves is warranted. You realize how much work those peeps cause us with their idiotic behavior?

You look at it, although you agree with the action, as a blatant breach of freedom. I get it. You're storming the the capital and I am just watching from afar hoping you don't get into too much trouble...lol. All good man. :)

Funny how these topics drum up some conversation not so much related... ;)

1000002898.jpg

So youth riders must wear front and back protection now. Wonder why if the AMA thinks this is such a needed rule, why they don't make it for everyone?

Matthew had front and back protection on and still broke his back. I had front and back pretention on, I still broke 4 ribs. Just saying.

If the AMA want to start a rule I can agree with, make all riders use transponders in ama competition. There is a rule change i can support.

Matthew had front and back protection on and still broke his back. I had front and back pretention on, I still broke 4 ribs. Just saying.

If the AMA want to start a rule I can agree with, make all riders use transponders in ama competition. There is a rule change i can support.
What good does using a transponder do if there is nothing to transpond what the transponder is transponding at the track?...

Here is my two cents as an official, like most of you said 99% of youth wear front and back protectors. The sport is no different than any other sport implementing new rules. Motorcycle races are the only sport where you are not protected by some sort of cage or enclosure, so riders are prone to injuries as the result of not having the additional protection. I remember when the Hanns device was forced by NHRA and NASCAR, most racers agreed and some didn’t, but the sanction bodies made it a rule, you either wore them or raced elsewhere. I get the AMA youth classes rules for the new back and chest protector. Today’s kids are training a lot more, thus jumping larger jumps and going much faster today. Their bones are not as strong as a 13 year old or older kid, thus being more risk of back injury, broken rib or a punctured lung. I see both sides, but at the end when a child is down and has a back injury or broken rib and is screaming in pain due to not wearing the proper equipment the parents are questioning themselves mentally as to why they saved 75.00 by not letting their child wear chest and back protectors . This is while they are taking a ride to the hospital.
Just my two cents

Last edited:
Here is my two cents as an official, like most of you said 99% of youth wear front and back protectors. The sport is no different than any other sport implementing new rules. Motorcycle races are the only sport where you are not protected by some sort of cage or enclosure, so riders are prone to injuries as the result of not having the additional protection. I remember when the Hanns device was forced by NHRA and NASCAR, most racers agreed and some didn’t, but the sanction bodies made it a rule, you either wore them or raced elsewhere. I get the AMA youth classes rules for the new back and chest protector. Today’s kids are training a lot more, thus jumping larger jumps and going much faster today. Their bones are not as strong as a 13 year old or older kid, thus being more risk of back injury, broken rib or a punctured lung. I see both sides, but at the end when a child is down and has a back injury or broken rib and is screaming in pain due to not wearing the proper equipment the parents are questioning themselves mentally as to why they saved 75.00 by not letting their child wear chest and back protectors . This is while they are taking a ride to the hospital.
Just my two cents
Well said

Just my two cents
I agree 100% but I still say that is a choice.

Back