Love it or hate it?

Toddco327

PR Addict
I guess I’d equate SX to watching gladiators. No matter what battle you watch something bad is going to happen to somebody during every round.

After yesterday and watching more riders hit the dirt, it’s obvious that SX is just dangerous. Yes we are in a dangerous sport but the elevated risk of SX to motocross is just to hard to deny.

At what point do riders say enough and form a union. At what point do riders say to tame down and slow down the tracks. At what point does Feld, Monster, AMA say we have a problem. People go to the races to see top talent. When 75% of the top talent is gone you’re left with an average product. And we all know that SX is just a business no matter who is on the track.

When the Hill brothers are competing for a podium you know the field is thin. No offense, I love their style but that’s the best our sport has to offer?

Just food for thought but yikes, soon enough we might not have any gladiators left.

Omg!!! The track was to difficult, the dirt was to hard packed, the sun was out and it rained the day before. The track was pretty basic. Nothing to technical. But omg couple of factory guys got hurt, let’s make it easier. Or like you will say, safer!! Please don’t refer to them as gladiators!!! Go back and research what a gladiator was!!! That’s like the equivalent of a football player saying we are going to war out there on the field!!! It’s for entertainment purposes only! Just like other sports!! Bunch of snowflakes!!!

Love it....

Don't get me wrong, I hate the injuries and I don't believe anyone is a snowflake, but it's the balance between pushing it too far and staying within oneself. Even then there is a risk things go sideways, but not near as much. When you have a kid like Deegan tearing things up to an extent at 17 although he's had his get off's, makes one think it is possible. Heck, even Roczen said he had to back it down during the race as he didn't want to end up like he had in the past. That's a great skill to have right there in keeping him safe.

If you are talking about Webb getting hurt, that had nothing to do with the track really. It was a matter of circumstance and very unforntunate. Wrong place, wrong time. Although not a fan of Webb so much, I didn't want to see that. Major bummer for him.

Idk. The carnage is part of the adrenaline rush. Risk vs. Reward for me, that is why I love the sport. As much as people toot the bandwagon of a rider union, imo that won't help anything. I'd gladly take a few laps around a SX track down 2 laps down from the leader for a 2,000 dollar paycheck.

Is the risk worth the reward? I get the rush and excitement but there has to be a line. I loved watching UFC when it started 30yrs ago and seeing a dude pop another dudes eye out. But there is a fine line we walk. Changes are made to improve the product and still keep the excitement.

Webbs injury could have been much much worse and wasn’t track related. Or is it? Just saying if you want to keep good workers working you have to keep them healthy and safe. The trill of excitement is only accompanied by the agony of defeat when there is someone to defeat, but I guess being loaded up into a golf cart is a defeat of sorts.

Is the risk worth the reward? I get the rush and excitement but there has to be a line. I loved watching UFC when it started 30yrs ago and seeing a dude pop another dudes eye out. But there is a fine line we walk. Changes are made to improve the product and still keep the excitement.

Webbs injury could have been much much worse and wasn’t track related. Or is it? Just saying if you want to keep good workers working you have to keep them healthy and safe. The trill of excitement is only accompanied by the agony of defeat when there is someone to defeat, but I guess being loaded up into a golf cart is a defeat of sorts.
Seriously??? Webb was a simple crash because he didn't navigate the track properly. AC9 running into his head had nothing to do with the track.

Take away the chance of injury and you remove the reason people ride or watch the sport. Everyone's level of the limit is different, that's why beginners get the same rush that the top level riders do! But if you make SX "safe" you're going to remove the rush for the top guys, then what?

The reason the injuries are up isn't the tracks, look at old school sx, those things were far more dangerous. Nothing was built even, level or smooth. Of today's riders had that, none of them would be left. Riders are out because we have far more riders push the limits of the machine than in the past. Look at lap times, the top 10 sometimes are only 1 sec off one another in qualifying.

Watch golf if you want safe, leave the fun stuff alone.

I don't disagree with anything posted so far, but I just watched "Hitting the Apex" last night. It was made back in 2015 I believe, but I really enjoyed it. Wow, those MotoGP guys are f'ing nuts! I've actually got a new found respect for them.

I don't think it's the tracks. It's the bikes are so good, the riders are so good, they go super fast. Add speed and then the jumps in, and I've said it a 100 times. The human body can only take so much impact and it breaks. That's reality. I also think some riders rode through injuries much more than they do today for sure. Brian Deegan made a video and said there was absolutely no place on a supercross track for a dragons back. Said it was dangerous. Yes, Barcia wrecked off it. But guess what? These guys all have a choice to slow down a little.

It's a fine line, but if you make the tracks easier for them, it will be boring follow the leader.

I do think motocross is more exciting to me. I like watching them go fast outdoors. I absolutely hate when the tracks are like a slot car course though. To me the racing sucks when it is like that, and makes it even more dangerous.

There are probably 10 legit 450 riders on the sidelines though. I agree, there are some guys making mains that could not get out of a LCQ two months ago.

I guess I’d equate SX to watching gladiators. No matter what battle you watch something bad is going to happen to somebody during every round.

After yesterday and watching more riders hit the dirt, it’s obvious that SX is just dangerous. Yes we are in a dangerous sport but the elevated risk of SX to motocross is just to hard to deny.

At what point do riders say enough and form a union. At what point do riders say to tame down and slow down the tracks. At what point does Feld, Monster, AMA say we have a problem. People go to the races to see top talent. When 75% of the top talent is gone you’re left with an average product. And we all know that SX is just a business no matter who is on the track.

When the Hill brothers are competing for a podium you know the field is thin. No offense, I love their style but that’s the best our sport has to offer?

Just food for thought but yikes, soon enough we might not have any gladiators left.
At what point?

Never.

Riders stand up for themselves less than nurses do. Theyll always race for nothing. And I’ll watch em.

I don't think it's the tracks. It's the bikes are so good, the riders are so good, they go super fast. Add speed and then the jumps in, and I've said it a 100 times. The human body can only take so much impact and it breaks. That's reality. I also think some riders rode through injuries much more than they do today for sure. Brian Deegan made a video and said there was absolutely no place on a supercross track for a dragons back. Said it was dangerous. Yes, Barcia wrecked off it. But guess what? These guys all have a choice to slow down a little.

It's a fine line, but if you make the tracks easier for them, it will be boring follow the leader.

I do think motocross is more exciting to me. I like watching them go fast outdoors. I absolutely hate when the tracks are like a slot car course though. To me the racing sucks when it is like that, and makes it even more dangerous.

There are probably 10 legit 450 riders on the sidelines though. I agree, there are some guys making mains that could not get out of a LCQ two months ago.
Wow...a John259 post that makes sense and isn't full of hate !

These guys have no off season to heal and relax. Supercross starts in October and ends in may. Then two weeks later it’s outdoors. Now add three more races in September after outdoors. Then training again in October for sx.

Well another week and more people out. I stand by my original post. Yes the Eli situation is a freak accident… but is it? Are these tracks too technical with no room for error? How many factory level riders were injured in MX last year?

Look at the results. How many factory riders were in the top 10? How many top factory riders are now out of SX and MX for an extended period of time?

Feld and the AMA need to look at the product they are putting out and look quickly. Utah, I’m sure isn’t happy with the outcome for their end of the year race. How many people won’t go to watch the final race? Why would you book a hotel and travel to salt lake to watch Kenny and Chase race. The other 12 riders you’d love to see won’t be there. Just like going to the Super Bowl and they are starting the back up QB, RB, and WR. It’s just fluff at that point and both the fans and riders aren’t getting what they want.

The riders are going to go where they money is. If SX or WSX is the place to be and pays the most that’s where they will go. But at some point the risk of SX won’t be worth the reward. And until someone makes a move this will be the normal for our sport. Hopefully there is a way to bring some sort of safety and still put out an exciting show.

I hate to see any injuries at all.. but its a dangerous sport and S**t happens.. the one positive is this lets guys who would not normally make main events get in...

10 of the top 15 guys are out. No way I would be spending money to go to Utah. Chase wins and whomever else lucks into a podium.

FB_IMG_1683683468417.jpg

Well another week and more people out. I stand by my original post. Yes the Eli situation is a freak accident… but is it? Are these tracks too technical with no room for error? How many factory level riders were injured in MX last year?

Look at the results. How many factory riders were in the top 10? How many top factory riders are now out of SX and MX for an extended period of time?

Feld and the AMA need to look at the product they are putting out and look quickly. Utah, I’m sure isn’t happy with the outcome for their end of the year race. How many people won’t go to watch the final race? Why would you book a hotel and travel to salt lake to watch Kenny and Chase race. The other 12 riders you’d love to see won’t be there. Just like going to the Super Bowl and they are starting the back up QB, RB, and WR. It’s just fluff at that point and both the fans and riders aren’t getting what they want.

The riders are going to go where they money is. If SX or WSX is the place to be and pays the most that’s where they will go. But at some point the risk of SX won’t be worth the reward. And until someone makes a move this will be the normal for our sport. Hopefully there is a way to bring some sort of safety and still put out an exciting show.
Obviously you never watched late 70s and 80s sx. Go watch one or two and get back to us about tracks. Lol

3, we are down to 3 factory riders in the 450 class. I’ll say it again and again. When you put your top product in a position where there is a high probability of failure, you’re top product won’t produce the results you are looking for.

Feld and MX Sports controls the sport and what they put on field. My guess is 95% of all the injuries this season are track related and not dirty racing related. Why is it to much to ask for proper track prep? Why does it have to get so rough? Is it ego? Is it time? Is it cost?

Let’s say it’s time “we are on a schedule”. Is 1hr of a full track prep going to hurt your product more because of the additional time or will it help with safety? Ruts between jumps 4th gear wide open isn’t safe. I don’t care if they are professionals. Obviously they are dropping like flys so there has to be a breaking point. Disc and prep the track before moto 1. Disc and prep between moto 1 and 2. I can’t imagine 1hr will be the end of the sport and spectators. Because the amount of people you lose from extra time will be gained by people participating in your sport. Do I spend 100+ dollars to drive to high point to watch Jett ride around? Ehhhh maybe. Or I could stay home watch the race later and ride myself for half the cost.

It’s time to wake up. Put your ego away and just take some safety measures.

Back