VMD 2023

NQ1965

PR Elite
2023 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days .....July 21, 22, 23

Well, the "Biden Build Back Broker" economic policy strikes again.
Weekend (Frid, Sat, & Sun) General Admiss ticket price jumped from $45 each to $65 each.

Can't say that I'm surprised or didn't expect it.
From their web page:

2023 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days - AMA Member Tickets​

July 21-23, 2023

• AMA members can purchase discounted tickets to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days for a limited time. The 2023 event will be held July 21-23 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio. AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days is a fundraiser for the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.

The AMA member discount offer ends on June 30, 2023. Buy your discounted tickets soon to save money on the biggest vintage motorcycling experience in America!
    Electronic tickets will be emailed to attendees two to three weeks prior to the event.

I am planning to make one day for sure, maybe camp if I can squeeze that in. I hear about how much fun this event is every year from people that go.

And I got a new pitbike, I hear that is the way of transport here?

*Edit* - I see the camping prices are pretty high up there. Do they fill up and should I purchase now?

Last edited:
if you sign up to race, you can camp for free, at least thats how i understood it, and have done it the 2 times i went lol

it is a good time, whether its just checking out all of the cool s**t, people watching, or drinking a lot of beers at night.

yes pit bike is critical. you can ride around throughout the day and also hit some trails on it during the day as well.

and night. bring a light for it (required) to get around at night.

if you sign up to race, you can camp for free, at least thats how i understood it, and have done it the 2 times i went lol

it is a good time, whether its just checking out all of the cool s**t, people watching, or drinking a lot of beers at night.

yes pit bike is critical. you can ride around throughout the day and also hit some trails on it during the day as well.

and night. bring a light for it (required) to get around at night.
You got to get up there on Thursday if you want any of the non-pay moto area camping space or pits. By Friday morning you're lucky to find a place just to park a pickup truck.

i never went any sooner than friday and there was always plenty of parking for my truck and camper. I dont want to be near the mx track, pits too wild over there. im cool w/ keeping my stuff away from that chaos and far enough away i need a pit bike to get TO the chaos haha

You got to get up there on Thursday if you want any of the non-pay moto area camping space or pits. By Friday morning you're lucky to find a place just to park a pickup truck.
I'm still deciding what day I'm showing. My wife is racing with me this year. I skipped last year because I didn't care to go myself and I broke both bikes gearboxes at WV.

Can you save me a spot Saturday if I come? Maybe where we were parked to years ago?

If not buddy, I really do understand

Can you save me a spot Saturday if I come? Maybe where we were parked to years ago?
If not buddy, I really do understand
I'll certainly try. Last year when we got there Friday morning, there wasn't a space to be had in the pits (gravel or grass area), and we ended up squeezing in closer to the Porta-Johns than we cared to be. Finally by Sunday morning we were able to get to a much better spot.

i never went any sooner than friday and there was always plenty of parking for my truck and camper. I dont want to be near the mx track, pits too wild over there. im cool w/ keeping my stuff away from that chaos and far enough away i need a pit bike to get TO the chaos haha

Yea, up over the hill, there is abundant free camping space. We got forced up there on Friday like three years ago. Not ideal if you're racing, but certainly better than fighting for room with rude jerks.

Last edited:
I am planning to make one day for sure, maybe camp if I can squeeze that in. I hear about how much fun this event is every year from people that go.

And I got a new pitbike, I hear that is the way of transport here?

*Edit* - I see the camping prices are pretty high up there. Do they fill up and should I purchase now?
Yes, you need to go. I'm sure I was one of the people telling you how much fun it is. Like Crute said, get a light. I ordered a mtb handlebar light from Amazon for my ttr, worked great. I can give you the full VMD rundown at Grears on Sunday.

Well Mid-Ohio has managed to screw up the entry ticket side of the event by going with E-tickets, requiring you to use your "electronic wallet", whatever the hell that is?
We haven't received the email link to take electronic delivery, and according to our latest email, many others haven't either.

We'll arrive in the morning and all that we have is our purchase receipt email showing that I bought them.

They are also using scoring transponders this year. Hopefully this will resolve the inevitable race result screw ups that we seem to have nearly every year.

Well AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days has once again came and went.
It all passed much faster for us than usual. Just too much compressed into short time. We made the best of it, but we really didn't get to slow down to enjoy it like we would. Never even made it up to the swap meet.
Racing was a blast and loved the track this year. Would've been nice to have more time to hang out with everybody.
The bulk of the pic's this year were all pretty much centered on the races, which there's soooo much more worthwhile to capture with the camera.

This year we pitted on the east side of the track just down from the spectator's observation mound. Much better than fighting for a parking hole in the gravel pit.
IMG_4467.jpg

Friday Hare Scramble race: I held back from gunning for the holeshot this year. Main objective was put in a solid ride/race, and finish with all 5 laps, in one piece.

IMG_4486.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

The woods seemed different this year. There were sections with very dense overhead tree cover, and the woods were actually dark in areas. Kind of like entering a race in the enchanted forrest.
IMG_4529.jpg

Having not been in the woods riding since July 2022, I was OK with a 6th place finish. Most of all I think I had the most fun racing the course they laid out. It was a blast, and I didn't want it to end. Could've went for another hour.

IMG_5416.jpg

Vintage 250 class (open age).

IMG_4622.jpg

There were 26 race entries for the Vintage 250 class, and I pulled a 10th in moto-1. Unfortunately, I missed moto-2 due to the race order changes.
IMG_4668.jpg

Vintage 50+ B/C was a blast as always.
IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

We had an older couple parked next to us, and really enjoyed their company. He has a one-owner beautifully restored 1973 Husky CR400 for sale.
IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

Familiar scene. Me and Woody battled just like this back in 2019 at Camp Cattail.
IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

Then this guy and I battled for two or three laps. I missed a shift in a corner and lost the lead on the last lap.
IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

Sunday... EVO-3 - 50+ A/B..... always fast!
IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

Dust became a major issue, despite repeated waterings.
IMG_5058.jpg

Race #14.....senior 40+......... Not a lot of us in the class, but they were all there to race.

IMG_5067.jpg

I jumped long on the finish line double and was pushing hard out of the bermed corner. No traction to be had.

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

This guy #566 rode my tail for 2+ laps in my 2nd 50+ moto. Got to meet him afterward. Had a blast!

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

Having a Goodyear Blimp visit was cool.

IMG_5451.jpg

Getting to meet your competitors that you race against is half the fun of the sport. Rob Striegel #566.

IMG_5464.jpg

Although making it to the podium would've been icing on the cake, I am super stoked to of pulled a 4th place and then a 3rd place finish in the 50+ class. Raced my ass off to get there.

IMG_5465.jpg

Last edited:
Back