Campers

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
So I’ve been looking around for a while now thinking about getting a camper for the track. Something small under 21ft and not against possible getting a hybrid style. Just wondering what you guys think about your campers and if it’s worth it or not

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Definitely worth it to me. Just nice waking up in the morning at the track vs. having to come in early in the morn. Also for multi day events, can't be beat without having to pack up, haul out, worry about bikes at hotel, and hauling back in and finding another spot in the next morn.

Your next challenge might be cost and what sort of unit you want with what amenities. Some really good quality units out there. Too rich for my blood unfortunately. Stick built units are cheap and light and will take you far if you take care of it/keep the water out, but you get what you pay for in quality and craftsmanship (i.e. nail gun, glue gun, screw gun).

Toy hauler for sure of some sort if that's not what you were thinking already. All sorts of options. I opt for the garage in back, living area up front separated by a bathroom, but you're not getting that in an under 21ft set up I do not believe.

Best of luck man. Maybe we'll see you at the track sometime this summer after baseball is over in June/July. :)

MX10

Noob
I have a Forest River Salem FSX 181rt toy hauler, 22 feet total length, it's light and does the job. Might be a good option for you.

Meister

PR Founding Father
I own my favorite light weight camper. Perfect for moto. Plenty of garage for 3-4 bikes. King size bed. Half ton towable.

Keystone Outback 240urs. Mine happens to be for sale. Lol. Going to try the van hotel route if it sells. If not, van and toy hauler route it is lol.. it weighs under 5k and my f150 pulls it very well. A van will pull it fine too.

I don't like ones that the garage space is main living space. Dont wanna have to unload to use.

Dano762

PR Addict
Agree with all the comments.

I like my Work and Play. It is the length and weight you are considering. Pulls easily with a 1/2 ton fossil fuel truck.

At the 20ft length the garage is the living space and I need to unload to have a place to sleep. Would be nice to have separated - for example if I am on a long trip could pull over and sleep in the camper.

thumbnail_IMG_1227.jpg

Truck Work and Play.jpg

Yes, for those wondering, that is Red Bud dirt.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Lucky for me I have a van to put all the bikes gear etc and to store at night. Really just thinking about 21ft or less because I can store it at the house. We already stay at the track all the time out the van but girlfriend wants a shower and honestly I wouldn’t mind having a camper myself. So really my options are really open because I don’t need a toy hauler or a garage. Also wouldn’t mind fixing one up to how I’d want it either

MxFreedom33

PR Elite
I own the Coleman 17B. I bought it brand new for about $13,000… couldn’t ask for a better light camper. Sleeps 5 easily, and has everything you need. I picked up the predator 3500 generator and for $650 and that runs this entire set up including heat/AC unit. I pull it with my Ram 1500 and don’t even know it’s back there. Perfect for moto.
IMG_1589.jpeg

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Sick set up. Was really looking and trying to figure out if buying used and getting it for a cheaper price and fix it up a bit or just buy a brand new one and finance it would be better

MxFreedom33

PR Elite
Sick set up. Was really looking and trying to figure out if buying used and getting it for a cheaper price and fix it up a bit or just buy a brand new one and finance it would be better
These things simply just aren’t built very well, they are built to be as light as possible. Unless you personally know how a used model was taken care of down to the T id def go new, price difference of a few thousand isn’t worth the someone else’s headache. Thats just my opinion.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
These things simply just aren’t built very well, they are built to be as light as possible. Unless you personally know how a used model was taken care of down to the T id def go new, price difference of a few thousand isn’t worth the someone else’s headache. Thats just my opinion.
Plus if you buy a brand new one you can buy any design and layout you want

Tom

PR Elite
I f you buy a use one get a hold of Mr.Hershey he great on rewire things. LOL sorry hershy

Meister

PR Founding Father
I'm not so sure id wanna buy new these days. Too many horror stories about crappy builds then when something fails waiting months for parts or repairs. I strategically bought my 2018 used. Pre plandemic. Mines been solid and i saved over 10k from new because at the time no rv dealers were discounting anything at all. Now i understand there are some discounts to be had, but a discount on an inferior build should be standard lol. It took me months of searching layouts to land on this one. Now my wife wants one a little bigger. Looking at something like the torque t31. Still king size bed, much heavier (yay, not), plenty of garage. My f150 is one of the highest rated versions for towing and the torque t31 is toward the top and ill probably want a 3/4 ton. Lol

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I'm not so sure id wanna buy new these days. Too many horror stories about crappy builds then when something fails waiting months for parts or repairs. I strategically bought my 2018 used. Pre plandemic. Mines been solid and i saved over 10k from new because at the time no rv dealers were discounting anything at all. Now i understand there are some discounts to be had, but a discount on an inferior build should be standard lol. It took me months of searching layouts to land on this one. Now my wife wants one a little bigger. Looking at something like the torque t31. Still king size bed, much heavier (yay, not), plenty of garage. My f150 is one of the highest rated versions for towing and the torque t31 is toward the top and ill probably want a 3/4 ton. Lol
I really like the outback you have. I don’t need the garage portion but I love the king size bed slide out

DC817

PR Addict
The worst financial investment you can make, IMO. Just go into it knowing they’re all junk and made as cheap as possible, especially newer ones that are made to be as light as possible. The phrase “covid campers” is a real thing… would seriously avoid 2021-2022 campers as they were pumping them out super fast and there was no quality control.

That being said, the memories made with the family spending weekends together make it worth it. My 2021 has been broken for 18 months sitting at the dealer unable to be fixed. The manufacturer finally agreed to swap us out for a new one but we are still waiting on that to happen. Campers are a sore subject for me but at the same time I can’t wait to finally get the new one and get back to spending the whole weekend at the track.

There’s deals out there on new and used now. Buying used from someone you know is the safest bet I think.

Meister

PR Founding Father
I really like the outback you have. I don’t need the garage portion but I love the king size bed slide out
The garage is nice because its not overly big. It also houses two bunks which is basically a second small bedroom for Dakota.

DC, that blows. That's what scared me away from newer stuff. Was reading horror stories left and right just like yours on the fb pages. Youre right tho, definitely not an investment of any kind. More like burning money lol. Its a luxury to have the way i see it. Unnecessary but worth the wasted money in most cases. Older units have the potential to be an investment with some return, but anything new is pissing money away. Ive seen a few older ones go for steals that could easily be used and flipped for profit.

MxFreedom33

PR Elite
They are def all junk. I got the most simple one I could that suited my needs to avoid as many issues as possible. I have a “ Covid camper “ but knock on wood I haven’t had any issues.. yet. When I do I’ll fix what breaks and put in a better unit/pump/ sealant, whatever.