track prep preferences

tj131

PR Member
Just looking for opinions on what people like. I attended an open ride day this year with the track ripped a mile deep and water to boot. 2nd gear pegged on a 450, going nowhere for the first hour. Seemed excessive. Not my style, but do some of you guys like that style prep? Felt pro national-ish. Not calling anyone out, not my intention.

I don't mind ruts but I don't like a slot car track with wet jump faces that make me see Jesus every lap. Maybe it's an age thing.

I am thankful for the tracks that remain and all the work the track owners put in. It's borderline insanity the time, effort and money it takes.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Nailed it.

I can only contribute it to a couple things, and it isnt to create a better riding surface for riders. Those days seem gone for some places.

Its monkey see monkey do for all those trying to attract the hand full of racers that actually get to the ranch. Ranch prep is stupid, or lack there of. When i went to lorettas, track prep was killer. Got plenty rough for anyone, but wasn't the crap hole slot car track it is today.

They want to heavy prep once and only once to save on prep costs by attempting to limit prep time through the day. Again, maybe stemming from Lorettas mentality, but, monkey see monkey do.

Give me a good surface with good corner ruts. A little dust is part of moto.

Stop ripping as deep as your 8000hp tractor will rip it and stop watering like youre trying to create a new lake. Rip 4-6" and water like your maintaining, not trying to prevent a spec of dust from flying till the sun sets that day.

Its literally ruining moto like slot car rut fest is ruining supercross. I cant stand riding somewhere thats got rutted out straight aways from corner to corner. Infact, i won't anymore. If it aint fun, i ain't doin it these days. If Malvern would've kept Rogers style prep, their numbers wouldnt have fallen off nearly as hard as they did. Instead, it morphed into super deep n wet prep like Lorettas. Heard so many people tell me this and they quit going. See where that got them paired with some bad advice that lead to a different organization. Daytona sucked ass this year, but i cant complain too much about the softness because it was due to rain. They just didn't maintain it well enough and every time i rode it, peg draggin up the faces of every jump was the story there. First 3 years, loved it, even being moto 31 those years it was nasty rough but manageable. This year, sucked.

For all the chest thumpers that say they love super nasty tracks, you probably won't ever make it to lorettas or ever even race as a professional, so you don't have to say a shitty track is good just to feel tough. To the 3 who may read this who will make it to lorettas or race a pro nat, congrats for being on that level! Most are not and just wanna ride/race fun tracks!

Ive ridden some of the roughest moto tracks this side of the Mississippi and Theyre a blast. Theyre usually sand and naturally occuring the super rough fun ones. Not man made 3' deep mud holes. Stuff sucks.

I saw a Michigan track pimping starting gate ruts. Few nice straight super deep ones. Nevermind the 35 other blown out lines off the gate. This always irks me too. Takes a few minutes to maintain the gates before and after the gate.

Sorry, end of rant. I just miss the old days. Everyone needs to be using mximplements finishing equipment too instead of leaving farm field style disc chunks everywhere.

Disclaimer: This does NOT pertain to every single track around here either. Some still do an amazing job.

C'mon with the pitchforks callin me a pussyy!

Meister

PR Founding Father
I like JO’s prep at Briar Cliff when he does his “Vet Prep”
The amount of praise i heard from people on his early practices this year solidifies that. I even text him about it and i was bummed to have missed it.

Theres two kinds that pimp super deep rough prep, the ones i mentioned above, and parents that have no clue because they don't even ride or haven't ridden.

tj131

PR Member
The amount of praise i heard from people on his early practices this year solidifies that. I even text him about it and i was bummed to have missed it.

Theres two kinds that pimp super deep rough prep, the ones i mentioned above, and parents that have no clue because they don't even ride or haven't ridden.
I will agree, was a big fan of his prep a few weeks back.

MX955

PitRacer Pro
Been a long time since I have been to the Cliff... For some reason that place really intimidated me..
When was the last time you were there Joe?
I’ve been there twice this year and it’s been good prep and the track has been fun

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Thanks everyone, I try to strike a balance with prep, sometimes we hit it, sometimes we don’t. We are not a training facility, we are an enjoyment facility. Sometimes we are at the mercy of the weather, equipment and other things. Honestly I’m more proud of our consistency than anything. It’s pretty hard to hit something similar 70-75% of the time. We try to make it fun to ride. That is all.

Berkheimer#19

PR Addict
Definitely agree Briarcliff has been on point and will agree majorly on what Meister put specially the last two years of Malvern I went one time last year and did two laps said Nope not for me and loaded up and went home say what ya will but not interested in being locked in a rut for longer than a corner lol Idk if anyone remembers old Thunder Valley down in Kensington but that place was damn near concrete on practice days and race days was decent but was just a fun track even with crap conditions majority of the time and I remember a lot of people being there with dust covering them and the cars lol I get killing the dust because neighbors and such but ripping as deep as possible definitely not a fan lol

MX955

PitRacer Pro
its been a solid 5 to 6 years Greg.
Go back, you will like it now Joe!

The other thing I’d like to mention that I personally like is how early Jeremy posts in the morning about being open and on his track conditions. Usually no BS on the conditions and he tells you how it is. I know Jason at MX Acres is like this too and a few tracks I go to in NY State. I try to support these tracks as much as possible for their hard work and honesty.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Thanks everyone, I try to strike a balance with prep, sometimes we hit it, sometimes we don’t. We are not a training facility, we are an enjoyment facility. Sometimes we are at the mercy of the weather, equipment and other things. Honestly I’m more proud of our consistency than anything. It’s pretty hard to hit something similar 70-75% of the time. We try to make it fun to ride. That is all.
I had a blast being out there. It was perfect for me after a 14 year hiatis. I'm not a fan of dusty corners where I slide I like the medium sized ruts and enjoyed every min, I think I rode for about an hour after doing photos.

jfalat

PR Addict
Go back, you will like it now Joe!

The other thing I’d like to mention that I personally like is how early Jeremy posts in the morning about being open and on his track conditions. Usually no BS on the conditions and he tells you how it is. I know Jason at MX Acres is like this too and a few tracks I go to in NY State. I try to support these tracks as much as possible for their hard work and honesty.
Sounds good Greg…next time you guys hit the cliff up let me know and I will check it out.

Carlisle

PR Member
Well now y’all know why the owner of malvern sold it. I don’t blame him. Worked his ass off over the years to maintain it and make it better, just to hear certain people bitch and complain all the time and tell him what he’s doing wrong. Apparently tons of experts on here who know how to prep and maintain a track but have never actually done it. Yes they will say that the ruts are not what they like but that isn’t speaking for everyone so if meister ran a track( that would be comical) he would prep it the way he likes it. Riders would complain and tell him what he’s doing wrong. He would take offense to it a cry like a bitch and say you don’t like don’t come here. This unfortunately is going to turn into a malvern thread because Mr know it all brought up the name of a track that has been a staple in Ohio moto forever. Sad malvern is gone but to the owner, good for you!

Toddco327

PR Addict
Nailed it.

I can only contribute it to a couple things, and it isnt to create a better riding surface for riders. Those days seem gone for some places.

Its monkey see monkey do for all those trying to attract the hand full of racers that actually get to the ranch. Ranch prep is stupid, or lack there of. When i went to lorettas, track prep was killer. Got plenty rough for anyone, but wasn't the crap hole slot car track it is today.

They want to heavy prep once and only once to save on prep costs by attempting to limit prep time through the day. Again, maybe stemming from Lorettas mentality, but, monkey see monkey do.

Give me a good surface with good corner ruts. A little dust is part of moto.

Stop ripping as deep as your 8000hp tractor will rip it and stop watering like youre trying to create a new lake. Rip 4-6" and water like your maintaining, not trying to prevent a spec of dust from flying till the sun sets that day.

Its literally ruining moto like slot car rut fest is ruining supercross. I cant stand riding somewhere thats got rutted out straight aways from corner to corner. Infact, i won't anymore. If it aint fun, i ain't doin it these days. If Malvern would've kept Rogers style prep, their numbers wouldnt have fallen off nearly as hard as they did. Instead, it morphed into super deep n wet prep like Lorettas. Heard so many people tell me this and they quit going. See where that got them paired with some bad advice that lead to a different organization. Daytona sucked ass this year, but i cant complain too much about the softness because it was due to rain. They just didn't maintain it well enough and every time i rode it, peg draggin up the faces of every jump was the story there. First 3 years, loved it, even being moto 31 those years it was nasty rough but manageable. This year, sucked.

For all the chest thumpers that say they love super nasty tracks, you probably won't ever make it to lorettas or ever even race as a professional, so you don't have to say a shitty track is good just to feel tough. To the 3 who may read this who will make it to lorettas or race a pro nat, congrats for being on that level! Most are not and just wanna ride/race fun tracks!

Ive ridden some of the roughest moto tracks this side of the Mississippi and Theyre a blast. Theyre usually sand and naturally occuring the super rough fun ones. Not man made 3' deep mud holes. Stuff sucks.

I saw a Michigan track pimping starting gate ruts. Few nice straight super deep ones. Nevermind the 35 other blown out lines off the gate. This always irks me too. Takes a few minutes to maintain the gates before and after the gate.

Sorry, end of rant. I just miss the old days. Everyone needs to be using mximplements finishing equipment too instead of leaving farm field style disc chunks everywhere.

Disclaimer: This does NOT pertain to every single track around here either. Some still do an amazing job.

C'mon with the pitchforks callin me a pussyy!
I wouldn’t call you a pussy as much as I’d call you an a*****e. You make comments without any forethought and true validation to what point you’re trying to make. You let the keyboard do the work that your mouth can’t or is too afraid to do. Such a classless comment to attack Malvern.

Yes Bob is one of my best friends but I’d never trash any track for putting in an effort to try and give us a place to ride.

I guess it’s easy to complain, like most people do, and harder to give praise.

Guess it won’t matter. Vern is gone anyway. Plus look at how terrible that prep is after racing. Terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpeg
    IMG_1433.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 0