2011 OIR Season

OIR_Old

PR Member
The staff of Ohio International Raceway would like to say Hello and Happy New Year to all racers, spectators and their families. We would like to take this opportunity to thank each of you that have kept an open mind about the changes OIR is undergoing. We would also like to take this time to let you know the history of the track; the families that will be running the events and their intentions for the future.

First a little background. OIR was initially opened in 1970 by the property owner Bob Mosher. The track was build from nothing and advanced to hold an AMA national event in 1976. During that time, the first sidecard race in the US was held at OIR in 1972. Bob was seriously injured in an automobile accident shortly after the national event and was forced to lease out the track to keep it running. The previous promotors chose not to renew the lease for 2011. Family and friends will be taking on the challenge of the 2011 season. The track will be ran by Bob's son Chris and his lifelong friend Jason. Neither Chris nor Jason are strangers to motocross. Chris is a former racer with many years experience running the track. Jason has raced for approximately 20 years at both the CRA and AMA national level receiving numerous titles and trophies. Chris and Jason are assisted in the endeavor by many family members and friends who also have spent many years involved with the sport.

It is true that our intention is to invite every racer back to the track, including quads and hare scramblers. The plan is to run quads and bikes alternating on the track; run bikes first one race and quads first the next. We also plan to open for hare scrambles and have been working on the layout of that track. We have also decided that we will have a few open practice sessions. We are still working out the final details of our schedule and will have that information posted as soon as it is available. Our web site is currently under construction. Keep posted to Pit Racer for more details.

As many of you may have heard, we applied to be a CRA sanctioned track. Unfortunantly, the CRA board voted against this. Therefore, we will be running our first season as an Outlaw unsanctioned track. We are currently in the planning phase of our own track points series and season awards.

In closing, we have heard all the rumors of how last season ended. We do not wish to comment or feed into the negative remarks we have heard. Please remember there are two sides to every story.

We plan to work hard to give you the best season we can and take the track to the next level. We look forward to giving each rider a place to grow and excel.

Thank you,

The staff of O.I.R.

P.S. Ohio Trike Club and any other trike clubs, please contact us.

Good luck this year and thanks for the update. I know a lot of people have been wondering and looking forward to hearing something.
I never knew the history of OIR, very interesting to read that. I started racing there in the 80's and never new the promoter was leasing the land, etc.

OIR doesn't need the CRA they will take all your profits anyway. There are plenty of good tracks that provide open practice and its own race program, like switchback near Butler pa. I think OIR will be very successful if they follow the same kind of program.

sure will be nice to have a practice track closer to home!

Going to have to make it there for open practice if they have some,tracks 5 min from the house.

We'll have to work on that one. Maybe we can give out parking passes instead of trophies. lol.

On a serious note, please remember we want to hear your thoughts and opinions. Our goal is to make everyones race day enjoyable. Any serious suggestions will be considered!

Kids Track?

Will you be running the pee wee track for the kids this year? And when you say alternating the races quads then bikes do you mean all quads then all bikes or every other moto???

We are hoping to have approximately one open practice full day event per month. This will include motocross, hare scramble and also the pee wee track. Yes we do intend to keep the pee wee track operating. And as far as quads vs. bikes, we intent to run all bikes then all quads and rotate that each race. This will run the same for for our practice sessions. We want to assure that all racers have an equally prepared track.

We would like to hear from the pee wee riders and/or parents regarding any suggestions you have for the pee wee track. Please let us know what you like about little track and/or what improvements/changes you would like to see.

Hey OIR-

Good to hear your plan and wish you good luck.
I've been out of it a few years or so and plan to do some ridin this year and OIR is one of my preferred tracks + its fairly close.

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully the 350-600 rider turn out days are not over, but only time and the riders will tell.

@bigrob: For all the smack on CRA, it's survived through the years where others have fell apart. If they reaped all the profits then I'm sure promoters would all be Outlaw. You have to earn your races in the CRA. And besides, too many race dates sets up disaster for a track, just watch.

hey,check it out,my name is david sferra, I ran OIR from 1980 to 2000,hey chris,whats up,tell the old man i said hi. ran the track old school,original motocross like when it came from europe.how i got out of it is another story,but i have been a motocross fan since ths seventies,as a matter of fact, i was at the ama national at oir,seen brad lackey,gaylon mosier,kenny zart,steve stackable,jimmy weinert,and many more,motocross fan to this day,ran into this site,felt like i had to say something,great to talk about OIR,spent many hours out there and will never forget.thanks

Very happy for the track to be open i was upset when i heard about u shutting down but thats make me feel better.For the CRA i thought there not there anymore i think they're calling it OHMX (Ohio MX) and PAMX (Pennsylvania MX). But keep us posted on date slove the track and cant wait to come back!!

Back