Willy Musgrave 2 Stroke Article Latest MXA

I was racing B on my Crf450, I could count on a top three finish at any of the local races I went to around here. Now I find myself a top 5 C class rider, in fact I can jump on anyones 450 and be faster than I am on my own 2 stoke. This sounds like I am 4 stroke supporter right? WRONG! I have broken 6 bones while racing MX, 5 of them were in a 3 year span on my 450 (the other was on a pit bike). Simply put it allowed me to be faster than I actually was. Sure I went alot faster but when things got hairy it all boiled down to I was a C rider racing at a B rider pace. Even though I was comfortable and confident going that speed when I started swapping I just did not have the talent and experience to correct it. 4 stokes allow this, they let most people to go faster than they safely can. There are other reasons why I like my 2 stroke more than a 4 stroke but this is the biggest reason. Now if I go fast it takes alot of concentration and I do NOT have the luxury of getting complacent like I can on a 4 stroke. I would rather work a little harder and develop my skills as a rider than to miss a whole season of riding because I took a short cut. Just my 2 cents.

Very insightful and levelheaded view you have on this. Most wouldn't be so honest, or would have too much ego to be real about it.

I'm seriously thinking about switching back to a KX500. At 48, I'm at the point now where I just want to have fun, and if I go to DMC or AMS or somewhere, I'm going to ride about the same either way. I don't have the money for a new one, or even a newer one. So basically my $1800 '03 YZ450 is a throwaway bike if it breaks. Then I'm totally out, done. Right now I couldn't afford to throw $1000 ~ $1500 extra into it. I have other important things to take care of. At least a 500 I can fix pretty much on my own with no help. Even if I have to press in a new cylinder sleeve or split the case. Still cheaper than a 450 repair bill. I'm one of those guys that my family rides 5 ~ 10 year old equipment, and I take care of it. That's all I can afford right now.

how about that tm in the back of the mag? That bike looks sick and they need to do a write up on one and the new husky two strokes. I heard the husky has a different frame and porting than the ktms so it will be different.

Husky came out with a CR150 for 2011. I haven't got to ride one but from the info I have been able to find they are fast.

Sounds like we may have some new AHRMA recruits…How about jumping on an old 2 smoker as they are a hoot!
Loved my KTM 525 but to be honest I have more fun on my old 76 Maico. I would say you could buy one old
bike & fix it up for a grand or two but most end up with a stable of bikes.

Lets see I have around 4k in my 76 Maico & 1,200 bucks in my daughters 79 CR 125 Honda.
Compare that to say buying a new 450 & 250… for a combined total of around what 15K or more?
Never mind how low the annual maintenance cost are on a 2 stroke.

Believe it or not it seems like many times there is better racing on the 30 to 40 year old bikes than on new 8k
ones. Maybe with most of the big air removed racing goes back into the corners where skill & technique come
into play as not much goes on in modern track section with double - doubles or triples if everyone is hitting them.
If you get a few Pro sections with insane air that will separate a few them but then what? Yawn….

The best bar to bar action has always been is in the turns & that is why the SX's have gotten exciting again.
Count the total SX passes in the turns this year vs all other sections of whoop & jumps combined.

Now if I could just get a new back....

Maico Mark

Two strokes are simply more fun than 4 strokes for me. I dont know if it's the fact that's what i grew up on, or i feel like i have to ride harder to go fast and its more rewarding? I've owned a 450s and 250fs and in 08 decided to go back to a yz 125, currently have a Rm250 i dont think i would ever go back to 4 stroke for MX. The only 4 strokes i would consider buying now would be a big bore dual sport or motard.

I held out on the 250s longer than most. Now that I am on the 450, I feel much smoother and faster, and it did make me a better rider. Problem is, I was in a local dealer two weeks ago, they had a white yz 450 '11 on floor for $8299. My first brand new YZ 250 in 1988 cost me $2800. I got my '07 450 for under $6000. So in 4 years they have taken a huge jump in price. Guys kept dealers in business buying new race bikes every year.......I used too. How many guys do you know that get brand new bikes every year now?

I picked up a 2011 Kxf450 last week for 6400 otd thats not to bad

Very interesting reading on this topic... IMO-- I think the now locally popular riding sessions (should you really call them "practice sessions" when you have no intentions of racing anyway?) are actually a positive, rather than a negative as the general vibe seems to suggest. You get alot more riding at less expense, and you don't need an expensive bike to enjoy yourself. It just seems like the demographics have separated a bit is all.

If you want to race a 250 or 450 and be competitive-- It costs $10,000+... it is what it is. They still have two stroke classes, Bomber, Vet, etc.. a good rider can be fast on anything. I think alot of us guys are still thinking with the old school train of thought where you "raced" dirt bikes, rather than "rode" dirt bikes. Right now I think the ante has been upped if you want to race at a higher level, but the scene has improved for the random rider through the availability of "open practices", and perfectly good, super cheap, unwanted, but highly developed two strokes.

I'm perfectly fine with the present scene, but if I did want for anything, it would be for more ride anything "C" tracks like what Briarcliff has. AND!! If Honda would shoehorn an XR250 motor into a steel frame (like a mid- '90's CR125 chassis) with modern MX suspension-- and offer it at a reasonable price! This is just my opinion-- so don't hate me over it-- hahahaha! --Tony C.

Are we planning another trip out to Glen Helen to race 2 strokes????? Who's got a 250 2 stroke now in our group???? I've still got a 300 motor and all the parts to make a bike around it.........

i always said that i would quit riding when i quit having fun. about 4 or 5 years ago i was no longer having fun riding my 250f. i haven't rode a big bike since..... just purchased an rm125!!!
simply put, four-strokes have done nothing but ruin motocross...

Back