Pre-entries are up for AHRMA Gatorback National MX

If AHRMA is continuing their post-entry policy from last season ( Only about $10 more instead of double the pre=entry like it used to be ) then they might end up with 150+ in both disciplines . With fuel prices high and reportedly going higher this year , plus slow economic recovery , we are probably looking at light turnouts again for 2011 .

Did anyone get adventurous & make the trip to Florida as it would have been rough traveling yesterday.

Must be a weather curse getting out of Ohio for these event as didn’t is now bad in 2009?

Flipping back to 2008 Sandridge & myself got caught up in an Ice storm when trying to come back up thru
Atlanta in hopes of missing the East coast blizzard.

Wish we were there but still nursing my back…had spinal injections a few weeks back that helped some but
unfortunately have the feeling I am going to be a spectator again this season.

Good luck to anyone who went. Hopefully it was Sunny & 80!

Maico Mark

Thanks for making all of us enjoying our Ohio weather feel better, Tom. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the CC! :cool:

Post entries did add to the total but, it was still about half the usual I was told.
Oh and I picked up a sunburn and a bunch of ants in the toyhauler.
Tony from NC

Tony what did you race? I'm curious how the CC was, I really have enjoyed that. In missing Gatorback this year I think I missed the CC the most.

I was gonna take 2 bikes and race 3 classes.
My 1982 Cr480 made the trip and I raced Ultima 500 PV.
I was working on my 1974 YZ125 for vintage mx and vintage CC but the ring kept sticking.
The 1974 Elsinore 125 needed a crank seal so it was out too.
At the last minute, I threw a 1974 MT250 on the trailer and rode that in the CC.
My buddy I went with had a combat wombat delivered to the track and I tried to ride it but, it constantly loaded up and the kicker was buggered up.
It loaded up on me in practice and stalled on the big uphill after the first turn dropoff.
Couldn't get it started and was so pissed I just had them tow me back.
Turns out it was geared for topend too.
Anyway, we're going to Devils Ridge this weekend for an AHRMA regional and will probably debate the long haul to Diamond Dons.
btw-You guys heard about Team Bultaco putting on a national in MO later this year?
Stalman told me it would be "bul friendly"

About the CC.
I am told it was run backwards from last year and a section was cut because the mining company would not let them run on their land.
It was exactly 3 miles and was pretty fun.
Would probably have been more fun on a post vintage bike though.
I'm not used to 4 inches of travel and as such, on the 3rd lap of the CC I hit what would be considered some mild whoops.
Well, my MT now has an odd dent in the tank right in front of the seat. Know what I mean?
I was standing and it just popped me like that twice.

Check it out on the AHRMA site.

One other thing, I've only been able to locate one video and no pics of any of it.
Anybody got any pics or video?

Man! That was hard to watch...like riding motocross during Japan's earthquake. Speaking of which, God help those poor folks, and the rest of us as well.

Anyway, check out that holeshot. That's me. First ride on my '83 RM500. Also, my first ride with the "experts". I led for a couple or three laps. Lost the lead, then was knocked down hard from behind. Those guys are serious. Got up and finished poorly. Crunched my exhaust, bent my bars, my shoulders and my neck. I've since fixed the metal parts, not so much the soft ones yet.

Still, it was better than the first moto. I got anxious and as a result, stuck in the gate at the start. Had to persuade a worker to help extricate me from that mess. Caught up through about half the 12 or 13 entries.

Also, it was better than the previous day (Saturday) on the CZ. Crashed off a big table top while second behind Speiss. Totally ruined the exhaust on that bike, but still it ran. Later, in another moto, my handlebars slipped in the clamps and folded to the fuel tank. Finally, in the last moto, broke 9 spokes and flattened the rear tire.

Oh yeah, I also tried the cross-country on Friday. That was a first for me. As it turns out, having to kick 6 or 8 times to get your bike running makes for a disadvantaged start, doesn't it? Two laps and a fried clutch later, I was done. The overall winner was the same dude viewed in the video tape above. Local old-guy hotshoe, Berger.

All in all though, my pals and I had a great time down there. Perfect weather, excellent track conditions, great atmosphere in town. We especially enjoyed watching the entire Atlanta Supercross broadcast with the kids on the big screen at a local college bar.

Next stop, Diamond Don's.

Back