rising rate vs falling rate? - YZ monoshock

I sense a bit of sarcasm there........... LOL! The Yamaha Single shock original Monoshock design wasn't the reason for everyone jumping on the single shock bandwagon............ it wasn't any better than the twin shock designs of the same era! The ability to use linkage and create "rising" rate suspension was the true innovation that led to the single shock revolution for every dirt bike manufacturer! If you can't admit that.......... you've been sucking too much 2 stroke YZ carbon dioxide fumes laced with premix in your barn of old bikes to be trusted for knowledgeable advice.

I sense a bit of sarcasm there........... LOL! The Yamaha Single shock original Monoshock design wasn't the reason for everyone jumping on the single shock bandwagon............ it wasn't any better than the twin shock designs of the same era! The ability to use linkage and create "rising" rate suspension was the true innovation that led to the single shock revolution for every dirt bike manufacturer! If you can't admit that.......... you've been sucking too much 2 stroke YZ carbon dioxide fumes laced with premix in your barn of old bikes to be trusted for knowledgeable advice.

Well I could be a little dizzy from an unsuspended four stroke four wheeler...

But tell the guys who tried to keep up with the first monoshock Yamahas at the local MX tracks that Yamaha didn't have a better idea.

Monoshock just means one shock. Some manufacturer had to be first with one shock and longer travel. And with some modern suspension tuning the old system might just work well.

http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/yz465_project.html

Exactly what I said many posts ago on this thread.............. a really good suspension tuner that understands the mathematics between all of this stuff could certainly make the Yamaha Monoshock in it's early design work better than it ever did originally using today's technology and if Mooch could find that suspension guy or company......... the know how is certainly out there to make it work wonderfully for post vintage racing.

As far as telling all the guys that tried to keep up with all the first monoshock yamaha's that Yamaha didn't have a better idea.......... it's like I say to everyone still today, I won't bag on any bike as I've been beaten by every brand out there at some time or another and as far as I'm concerned it's not the bike....... it's the rider. Are you saying that if you weren't on a Yamaha from 1975 - 1981 that you couldn't win a race if a Yamaha showed up since their bikes were so superior to every other brand out there???? Certainly not as that is a just plain silly. Yamaha is a great innovative company and very early to adopt many things that become standard later on......... they go through growing pains for being that first company sometimes, but are great to have around to help push the envelope of this sport and many other motor sports that they are into.......

I have 3 Yamaha Wave Blasters, a Yamaha Super Jet, a Yamaha Sno Scoot, and had the original 1998 Yamaha YZ 400....... When they have good ideas that work, I'll gladly use and buy their products. I just don't think everyone is as opened minded when their "brand loyalty" comes into play.

No Rocket... I'm just saying before the FIRST monoshock, the other bikes were chasing the Elsinore and after the FIRST monoshock they chased after the YZ. Of course the other manufacturers went to work on their production bike suspension to catch up.

Three Wave Blasters? Cool! You've got me beat, I only have one. And I've had many brands along the way. Even survived four KTM bikes in four years. lol!

Did you quit with the KTM's after realizing that KTM stood for "k01 Trauma Machine" and go back to your beloved YZ's or did you go the more exotic route and try out the ATK's and other brands during your hiatus from Yamaha!

Love the Wave Blasters......... they are the most fun on the water of any watercraft by far!

Actually my wife's Wave Blaster is my all time trauma machine. Do not attempt a 180 inverted nose stab on a Blaster!

I've always ridden atypical displacements and brands . My last purchased new bike would have been my all time favorite had it started it easily, not been plagued with strange power robbing electrical problems and then there was fallen rate linkage problem!

oops.jpg
Mooch, did you ever get a definitive response to your initial question?

Mooch, did you ever get a definitive response to your initial question?

What was my initial question again :)

Regarding the monoshock, back in the day when they first came out I would of been about 16 and I very much remember how the people I hung out with were in total awe of there not being any kind of rear shocks visible on the bike and that there was also a whole lot'o travel going on back there.

Who didn't want one back then?

39836-YZ%20125.jpg

I never got mine but at least I still have the brochure!

I did get mine back then, it was a sweet machine at the time. Mark, did you ever get that Husky fixed? If not, maybe I should fix it for you, so you'll make me the sweet deal on your YZ250 lol.

I did get mine back then, it was a sweet machine at the time. Mark, did you ever get that Husky fixed? If not, maybe I should fix it for you, so you'll make me the sweet deal on your YZ250 lol.

Are you referring to a vintage or PV YZ250 that KO has? I know of his 83 YZ125, but I can't remember what other old stuff he has.

Didn't the 360 come with the 15 year extended warranty? If the yellow '06 was orange, parting would be so easy...

FMF exhaust and aftermarket sticker voided the extended warrenty on the Husky lol. Yes, those orange bikes part out well, kinda like Harleys lol.

I was thinking today about the old 75.5/76 YZ125 today, when I got that bike, I was 14 btw, I thought nobody could beat me on it lol. When I started racing it, I started beating Mike Frazee, who was the guy to beat, I had never beat him before, he was riding a CR125 Honda at the time. After I started beating him, he showed up on a YZ and started beating me all the time again. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

BTW, sorry Mooch, have I hijacked your thread badly enough yet.

Pfft...No worries...I've decided which route to go with with the suspension on my 81 YZ250.

You mentioned KO's modern bike 2006 YZ250...That's what I also have for a "modern" bike, mighty fine bike that can go a lot faster than I can. Since it ain't holding me back any, it's hard to imagine when I'll buy another new bike.

Yes, the 06 YZ250's are pretty nice, had one myself until someone decided to help themselves to it out of my garage. Seems like since then, all I've had are 4 strokes, but it seems that every time I've bought one, I was really wanting another YZ. Hope to find a nice one for a decent deal and give up the diesels lol.

Mike, did you send your shock to Race Tech in California for the modification or did one of their dealer affiliates on this side of the country do the work for you? When I originally restored the bike, I sent the shock to Mickey Kessler for just a rebuild and he let me know the shock was in good shape, so hopefully it'll hold up for awhile if I get it modified with that dual spring and gold valve setup that RT does. I'd imagine you also went with the stiffer spring an gold valves in the forks?

I sent mine straight to Race Tech.....I called them and discussed what I wanted, then packed and shipped it to them.....

Back