Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support

Georgie, Steven:

I understand that most people may have gone and got them right away based on fear of ending up being paralyzed and doing this to alleviate that fear. I didn't do that and waited a year and looked at all the info available before deciding to purchase one. I looked at the tests that Dr Leatt did, the force measurements that they recorded between "with" and "without" neck braces on test dummies, etc. The Leatt Brace was designed and specifically tested for certain types of neck movements and stopping the movement before it becomes catastrophic damage to your neck. It made sense to me and I hope I never need my brace in that type of crash.......

Now, there is always the case where the neck brace can move more force to another part of the body and damage that part of the body in the crash with terrible results for the person (ie Barrington), just like not having your selt belt on and getting thrown from a car saves a few peoples lives every year. It's a give and take on reward vs risk that each person must decide on. What if your crash / movement of your neck would have paralyzed from Neck Down or killed you with the brace on but instead you end up in Barrington's condition? Is that better or worse? I don't know.

It's still a personal choice and I'm only pointing out that there are scientific tests, measurements, and results from Dr Leatt that can be duplicated to show how the brace "works" in testing. Use that information how you will and make your own decision based on what you feel. That's all I'm saying.

You could make scientific experiments to show how each specific brace transfers force to another region and measure those to see if it's worth transferring force from your neck to your spine 6" lower and prove that wearing the brace only transfers the injury......... but I would assume that Dr Leatt who was trying to help wasn't trying to move the injury, but rather he was trying to "prevent" them from happening.

I'll have my kid in knee braces as soon as he's big enough to wear them, because I know firsthand what bad knees are like and would rather transfer his knee injury to his leg bones anyday.............
but what if you could have a brace where, it saves your neck, without moving the injury to another part of the body? what if your crash wasnt bad enough to hurt you if you didnt have a neck brace on. but since your wearing one, it amplifies the force and bends your body farther down? has dr. leatt tested that? again, i know im coming out with a statement that needs data to support it... sooner than later i hope. im going to do what i can to help get a product that wont cause injury in a crash that normally wouldnt have resulted in one if you werent wearing a brace.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Leatt chest protector? It integrates with the Leatt brace and provides additional padding UNDER the brace at contact points.

Yep, I've been waiting for one of those to show up at Iron Pony so that I check out how well it works to have the brace setting on the front and back plate of the chest protector. Is the newest TLD chest protector designed to be worn that way too?

I just recently got the alpinestar bionic neck support and I love it. It is the red $529 one and I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I don't even know it's there when I ride. The only suggestion I have is make sure you're measured properly. It is a little strange sized. But I like it better than my leatt and I think its more comfortable.

I've tried a few of the braces and have never been able to get them to fit properly over/under my RXR air chest protector.I really like the protection the RXR gives so I won't go without it...A few months ago I bought a 661 Droid chest protector with the neck brace built in,it runs a little smaller than I would like but I'm trying to make it work over my RXR...

This is it,has anyone tried one of these yet?

661droid.jpg

I looked at the research done by Leatt when I was purchasing and it made sense to me even though I've never needed the brace in many years of riding before.

Leatt went through the process of developing the brace using measurable scientific tests to come up with this piece of equipment and has the results to prove their claims. I'm using that scientific test information and theory behind the brace

With respect to your statements, I have a hard time finding those measurable scientific tests. At most I can find a paragraph that says the brace protects your neck. And a couple of stationary photo's of a dummy upsidedown with the brace and helmet on. Can you dig up these scientific tests and results and post them here? As we truly don't have scientific tests we can't post our theory, but as you said Leatt's do exist...I really want to see that.

That would be a great help in just my personal research on the topic. And when I come across my theory's test I will gladly post the study and results...

Some hurry up and tell me what to buy!!!!! i emailed the people at omega brace today to ask them about there brace and if they had someone the area as a good distributor for helping with fitting.... but they have not got back to me yet.

I have to agree with all the post that Rocket posted. All his statements are right on the money in my opinion. Someone should talk to the doctors that did all the neck brace studies for NASCAR.......before Georgie or Barrington chime in about that being a car, and we are riding motorcycles, I know that. But NASCAR spent MILLIONS of dollars studying neck braces and what they would make mandatory in NASCAR. I am sure their doctors know of the Leatt, and could probably give everyone a good answer as to whether your better with or without. I am saying with it.

The increase in injuries is simple......faster more powerful bikes that give a C class rider the ability to twist the throttle and get over doubles that are larger than their ability should have them jumping.......jumping higher, and higher rates of speed......NO room for error. The human body can only take so much impact.......and the higher and faster you are going, the harsher that force is on the human body upon impact with the ground. The braces help, but at some point the brace will not even save you from some impacts. It almost seems to me, that it is usually not the C class, slower riders have the life altering injuries......we seem to see it out of the faster amatuers and professionals that are going faster, jumping higher, etc...that supports my theroy that the body can only take so much impact.

I have to agree with all the post that Rocket posted. All his statements are right on the money in my opinion. Someone should talk to the doctors that did all the neck brace studies for NASCAR.......before Georgie or Barrington chime in about that being a car, and we are riding motorcycles, I know that. But NASCAR spent MILLIONS of dollars studying neck braces and what they would make mandatory in NASCAR. I am sure their doctors know of the Leatt, and could probably give everyone a good answer as to whether your better with or without. I am saying with it.

The increase in injuries is simple......faster more powerful bikes that give a C class rider the ability to twist the throttle and get over doubles that are larger than their ability should have them jumping.......jumping higher, and higher rates of speed......NO room for error. The human body can only take so much impact.......and the higher and faster you are going, the harsher that force is on the human body upon impact with the ground. The braces help, but at some point the brace will not even save you from some impacts. It almost seems to me, that it is usually not the C class, slower riders have the life altering injuries......we seem to see it out of the faster amatuers and professionals that are going faster, jumping higher, etc...that supports my theroy that the body can only take so much impact.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

HANS is nothing like the leatt. cant be compared.
and why do you start out talking about C riders crashing, then say it is usually not the C riders. wtf?
and once again, im not saying that neck support is a bad idea. im simply stating that some braces might be better than others. well, actually i know this. theres more to it than just building a rock solid force field around your neck.
the one thing that you did say that some what makes sense is that nascar spends the money to test there safety equipment and come up with standards. there is no standard with MX neck brace testing. yet.

Barrignton, I am beginning to think your the guy with the thoughts that make no sense. Just my opinion.......But then again, I guess your the only one that is an expert on this subject.........

Yes, he was. I think I was the lucky one to take it off of him.

Rocket and John250,
Leatt claims the back peice will break off as to not result in injury at 45lbs. Did you stop to think how hard 45psi hitting you in the back would be? (psi b/c when all of the force goes into your back, its gonna be on the tip of the thoractic peice)

yes, john 250, i was wearing a leatt. and no, im not an expert on neck support. but ive talked to many people since my wreck. most of which have contacted me for their own research. some of which might be the expert you speak of.

good thing the stewarts had their neck braces on...
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/42mYyHK-_pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
wowzers....
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pfHFv9MzJrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have to agree with all the post that Rocket posted. All his statements are right on the money in my opinion. Someone should talk to the doctors that did all the neck brace studies for NASCAR.......before Georgie or Barrington chime in about that being a car, and we are riding motorcycles, I know that.

The increase in injuries is simple......faster more powerful bikes that give a C class rider the ability to twist the throttle and get over doubles that are larger than their ability should have them jumping.......jumping higher, and higher rates of speed...... It almost seems to me, that it is usually not the C class, slower riders have the life altering injuries......

That really only disproves the theory you tried to support. First we're talking about giving C riders (inexperienced riders?) the ability to ride over their head/ or ride faster... Well, Ok..but you then said yourself:

we seem to see it out of the faster amatuers and professionals that are going faster, jumping higher, etc...that supports my theroy that the body can only take so much impact.
So i'm not following you here...

As for the chiming in part about nascar. Nascar drivers are strapped into a car and roll with the car in an accident.(if you didn't know that) They're prone to whiplash and there brains moving in their head. They aren't getting thrown out of the car like a ragdoll and landing head first on the pavement. They're also going 150-200mph. They're not dieing of spinal injury, they're dieing like Earnhardt, and Petty...instantly from internal brain trauma. (Heart Attack--yeah right, not buying that.)

None of their million dollar research ever pertains to any type of motocross fitted brace, Ever. So you can not say you are more with it (your way of saying wear it) than not based on that nascar research premise. What we need is the million dollar testing for our sport of motocross. Then we can say if it's worth it to wear it, or if its not worth it to wear it. And with joe gibbs involved now, there's no reason the AMA can't find the money to do fund it. Joe Gibbs isn't involved with anything he can't make money off of. I pay my AMA membership every year, as do millions of others. They can pull their cash flow and support a study!!!!

I know I sound adamantly against the brace, but i'm nuetral. So I can't say "you're better off with it, than without it." (like you did) Because I know that's not 100% proven! I can't see how Barrington and I are made out to look like villains because we don't say a neck brace is better than no neck brace. That's like saying a plane with a hole in the fuselage is better than no plane. Or a sleeping Air traffic controller is better than No air traffic controller! (it's NOT)

@Barrington: I bet Mark Martin wouldn't of survived those Stewart brother crashes....with his Nascar neck brace on.

After thinking long and hard about it after I went south to ride, Ive decided to not wear it anymore. Ive looked into the Omega some, bc its such a different design, but it hasn't been out long enough for me yet.

Well as for me, i dont think im getting a brace for me right now untill i see more test info.its for my son that is really bothering me. i think i will wait, but there is the what if.... everyone on here has really good points for both sides and in the end its my choice that i have to live with..

Well as for me, i dont think im getting a brace for me right now untill i see more test info.its for my son that is really bothering me. i think i will wait, but there is the what if.... everyone on here has really good points for both sides and in the end its my choice that i have to live with..

nice post. and im glad that you can understand both sides of it. theres choices out there, and a few completely different designs. hopefully soon we can see some testing on them with some real answers. and a main goal of a standard for neck brace testing.

nice post. and im glad that you can understand both sides of it. theres choices out there, and a few completely different designs. hopefully soon we can see some testing on them with some real answers. and a main goal of a standard for neck brace testing.

Amen to that!

Back