Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support

I just got the TLD chest protector to go with my leatt. It is open front and back with cutouts so it doesn't really go over or under the CP. Its really comfy and has velcro pieces that allows you to velcro the leatt in place. Holds it in place a lot better and feels a little nicer. I rode without one for a long time but as I get older I want all the protection I can get. Its a toss up to me I guess but I feel safer with it on.

its not putting 45 psi on the spine. in any crash. that would be fatal, in my opinion. leatt just claims that 45 psi is what is required to break the back plate off. which again, in my opinion, is too high.

I just dont here the term cantilivered to often unless it is in engineering terms. I mean 45 psi to break the piece.

anyone have a leatt they want to offload? I need a medium. I am going to do some testing with a couple different ideas I have on the back plates.

No my uncle is an engineer and he has a very simple idea to modify the backplate which would cause the backplate to lose no structural integrity, however it would allow the backwater to fracture and disperse large loads like the loads causing back breaks. I think we all know that 45 psi to break the thing is retarted and since I run the alpinestars brace and would like to get him a Leatt to do some testing with.

We both believe the Leatt is a great product however after hearing about all the injuries sustained most likely because of the brace he wants to see what he can do.

I think we all know that 45 psi to break the thing is retarted and since I run the alpinestars brace and would like to get him a Leatt to do some testing with.

How can you say that without any study results? That is NOT engineering. That is pulling B.S. out of thin air. You can create tests, show us results, and then say the 45 p.s.i. number is "retarted". Until then, saying we "all know" is false.

As for modifying the backplate, sounds good. I am curious how you change the fracture characteristics (i.e. reduce force needed to fracture) without losing structural integrity. Isn't that precisely what you are trying to do?

I am thinking that you dont modify a brace. I am sure leatt has THOUSANDS of hours of testing on that brace before it ever went to market.

By not modifying the structural integrity I mean not causing it to just fracture at random I mean it would require a certain amount of force lower than the amount it is currently taking. If Leatt did so much testing then why are sternums and high vertebrae being broken with the Leatt on? It's dispersing the load but its not absorbing it if its not breaking.

This is not bias however I will say this, I've seen 3 of the alpinestars braces fracture or completely break on the back plate where its designed to disperse the load. I believe the Leatt is a good product, however just because a Dr designed it does not mean its engineered properly, sure in the lab they may be able to simulate a perfect crash but let's be real, we don't have perfect crashes and we need this neck brace to perform better and do a better job at protecting people

I have posted this before but in another thread. I use the moose m1 CP with the alpinestars bionic. The moose m1 is the same as the ufo reactor, just different sticker. This is the best setup I have tried yet. The brace sits right on low points in the CP, there is not biding or discomfort, easy to put on and take off, is invisible under the jersey and best of all it just feels safer. I was always real concerned about driving the front of the brace into my sternum, as well as possible spinal injuries. With this setup you can push on the front of the brace as hard as you can and still not feel any discomfort in your chest. I use the x straps as I would with no CP or a foam protector and everything stays in place nicely.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 147
I have posted this before but in another thread. I use the moose m1 CP with the alpinestars bionic. The moose m1 is the same as the ufo reactor, just different sticker. This is the best setup I have tried yet. The brace sits right on low points in the CP, there is not biding or discomfort, easy to put on and take off, is invisible under the jersey and best of all it just feels safer. I was always real concerned about driving the front of the brace into my sternum, as well as possible spinal injuries. With this setup you can push on the front of the brace as hard as you can and still not feel any discomfort in your chest. I use the x straps as I would with no CP or a foam protector and everything stays in place nicely.

That looks great. That's what I have done with mine, except I have a Fox Airframe chest protector. That set up looks much better than mine though. Putting that back plate on top of a chest protector spreads out the load and HAS to reduce the liklihood of a back injury.....

That looks great. That's what I have done with mine, except I have a Fox Airframe chest protector. That set up looks much better than mine though. Putting that back plate on top of a chest protector spreads out the load and HAS to reduce the liklihood of a back injury.....
that does look better. but it might just move the load even further down. to where the chest pro ends. breaking your L vertibrea. somewhere, the force needs to dissipate. im also pretty sure leatt says to not put the brace outside of the chest pro. not sure why tho.

We can beat this forever......bottom line is, if the crash and impact are harsh enough, with or without a brace your going to have injuries. We dont have roll cages around us. I have said it a hundred times. There is only so much impact the human body can absorb. Faster motorcycles, jumping higher, further, and faster are causing the bigger impacts that cause more injuries. Nothing is going to be 100% in keeping us safe.

that does look better. but it might just move the load even further down. to where the chest pro ends. breaking your L vertibrea. somewhere, the force needs to dissipate. im also pretty sure leatt says to not put the brace outside of the chest pro. not sure why tho.

Yeah, not sure why Leatt would say that. As for the force being moved down, the biggest difference I see is the width is now different. The brace is much narrower and sits directly on the spine. Now with the chest protector, you have a MUCH wider ending point. Same force over a wider target = less pressure. Not saying it couldn't break a back, but I still think this is quite an improvment over just the brace.

Yeah, not sure why Leatt would say that. As for the force being moved down, the biggest difference I see is the width is now different. The brace is much narrower and sits directly on the spine. Now with the chest protector, you have a MUCH wider ending point. Same force over a wider target = less pressure. Not saying it couldn't break a back, but I still think this is quite an improvment over just the brace.
i think your right. but im still curious as to why leatt says not to wear it like that.

We can beat this forever......bottom line is, if the crash and impact are harsh enough, with or without a brace your going to have injuries. We dont have roll cages around us. I have said it a hundred times. There is only so much impact the human body can absorb. Faster motorcycles, jumping higher, further, and faster are causing the bigger impacts that cause more injuries. Nothing is going to be 100% in keeping us safe.
the problem is that some are saying that the brace could amplify the force onto the next lower area of the body. this means that a crash that your head would normally roll out of the way of your body and roll through the crash, you would actually wind up being injured because the body pile drives onto you because there is no more natural roll left. from my understanding certain neck brace companies are not testing this far down. just testing to see if the neck will be protected. thats the point here, is to have something to protect your neck, and not break your back. and thats why we need better tests.
but you are right, until better test results are being presented to the public, its going to be a forever ongoing argument.

I want the ama to mandate tests on this topic so we can finally see what's really going on with injuries instead of all our speculation.

Back