New Riding Facility – Market Survey

All,

A small investor group is considering the possibility ofopening a best in class outdoor training facility in North Eastern Ohio. Specifically, the location we’re considering is located in the general vicinity of US-422 and OH-44 near the La Due Reservoir.

Our intent is to provide multiple tracks in a safe, family-friendly environment for all levels of riders. To begin with we would open 3 tracks, Advanced/Pro, Vet, and Mini. The Advanced/Pro track would be suitable forB+ thru pro riders. The Vet track wouldbe a tamed-down version Advanced/Pro track that would be perfect for C & B riders. The Mini track would be reserved for 50’s, 65’s, and slower 85’s. All 3 tracks would be maintained equally to ensurea great experience for all. In the future we will introduce a full-scale Supercross track that will be available to anyone who holds an AMA Pro License or demonstrates exceptional riding ability.

What I ask from you is some initial feedback on the concept,location and the need for a facility like this in North Eastern Ohio. This is a tough business and your feedback is critical to its success. In the upcoming weeks we will have a more formal survey that will allow us to capture specific market research data. When that survey is complete, I will post a link in this forum as well as some of the larger industry websites. In the interim, it would be great to get some feedback from all of you on PitRacer.

Thank you!

Very tough business obviously, and Ohio has seen quite a few tracks come and go already. With the crappy weather we get that also makes it tough.

However as far as location goes, thats great. Its 25 miles from my house so I'd be your #1 customer :) .. but in all seriousnes, there is not much for practice facility in that area. Its close enough and kind of in the middle of like Cleveland, Youngstown, Akron, Ashtabula etc. and would be a nice alternative instead of having to head down 77 to other tracks every weekend. There are a couple of other very nice tracks in far NE ohio (dirtworld, tv land) but ohio lacks a true training facility like some that you find down south...

Keep us updated, like I said 25 miles from the house, sign me up!! :D

North-eastern Ohio has a lot of riding facilities now, more than anywhere else in the state. Granted you also have a large rider base up there to support what they have.
Picking an area without as much existing track competition where you can build up the rider support base seems like a better plan. Our state capital, the Columbus area, in Central Ohio has nothing, "Zero". Sugar Grove/COCR or Hanover/Briarcliff probably being the closest.

And I know between central Ohio, down to the Cincinnati area there are a lot of riders, really the whole South-eastern part of the state could use more.

Briarcliff has satisfied a huge need for the central Ohio area and the attendance numbers proves it. Chillicothe's new track should see decent results because there is no competition there either.

Great Idea and great location

I think that area is a great location The east side of cleveland has no practice tracks and can draw people from eastern ohio and western PA. Think about the number of people that showed up at OIR over the years one of many factors was the location it is very close to a huge number of people. Count me + at least 10 that I know in.

I think I would have to agree with what #23 said above. I'd love to see it happen, but I think it would be tough. You can't stay open all year round like tracks in Florida or Georgia. I'd love to have more options closer to home though! Count me in!

17 miles from my house? ...we'd be all over this! I know quite a few guys who would love this location. It's a nice central point between the other good tracks (Amherst/Smith/Apple Cabin/TV Land). Good Luck!

also unless you privately build it, there is no where to go to ride a true legit sx track and such... i think that would draw in some people from even farther distances...

Yes, there is nothing around here to train for supercross, or even arenacross. I would be all over this, only if you guys would bring someone in who would know what they were doing. Nobody wants Joe Schmoe in here building a track like this. Getting some experience for a place like this would be a big positive too.

North-eastern Ohio has a lot of riding facilities now, more than anywhere else in the state. Granted you also have a large rider base up there to support what they have. Picking an area without as much existing track competition where you can build up the rider support base seems like a better plan. Our state capital, the Columbus area, in Central Ohio has nothing, "Zero". Sugar Grove/COCR or Hanover/Briarcliff probably being the closest.

And I know between central Ohio, down to the Cincinnati area there are a lot of riders, really the whole South-eastern part of the state could use more.

Since northeast Ohio already has more tracks than any other area in Ohio I totally agree with NQ1965. If your flexible on location and concerned with how other NE Ohio tracks will draw customers, I'd look for another area. If you're not concerned about the competion from existing NE Ohio tracks, go for it!

Good luck!

I love the idea. We hove nothing like this in the area and there are no tracks at all on the east side close to Cleveland and in the area they are talking about.

Just be open on the weekends!!!!! Not this durning the week Only suff.

The biggest factor in this will be the level of professionalism involved. IF you do this AND you do it with a highly professional attitude it WILL succeed.

By this I mean:

A well maintained facility
The proper amount of the right types of equipment
Water and turn over the dirt at the same time when required
Clean permanent restrooms
A track layout that is challenging, fun AND safe (PRO track)
Change things up regularly in small increments
The people who are in charge of the track should be highly visible and involved with the riders. Listen and make well informed decisions.
The people in charge of track layouts and design should be riders themselves.

That is just the tip of the iceburg. Take a look at the tracks the draw large crowds, these are all part of the equation. It wont matter too horribly much where it is if you do the above. Many many riders including myself drive more than 2 hours to briarcliff for these reasons.

There is my take. I will be there if it is like this !!!!!

As mooch mentioned, I think you are looking at a pretty competitive market there. Good luck to you.

oh yea ton of guys in this area that ride! need a track within a half hour drive !!!!!!!!!!! BUILD IT THEY WILL COME

Probably the number one thing that has been requested of me that I will not do is a gated SX track. Its unreal the number of people who think they want that. Now there is a select group who want it and can handle it. But the fact is we are out of room. I guess pie in the sky for me would be national outdoor natural track, sx track, sand track, vet "weekend warrior track", kids mini bike track, 50 "wobbler track", a faircross track (yep there is a market), and huge indoor building (think mototown) so there would never be cancellations do to rain, and about 400 acres of trails, complete with a full restaurant, carwash, and movie theater. The movie of the day? On any Sunday of course, that and Rad. Thats my dream in a nut shell. But for me personally to pull that off; "we're gonna need a bigger boat". If your going to dream, dream big.

New Viennna had a SX/AX track (so they called it). It very rarely saw any riders when we were there. The jumps were definitely straight up and down, and the jumps were practically in the corners. Not good for everyday riders. You may want to gate it off should you decide to build it.

Northeast Ohio sounds awesome. I know there are a lot of guys..I could say 10 15 that I know would show up. I dont think there is that much competition on NE Ohio. Its like others said. A great facility will bring riders. It would be really cool if there were cabins or something of that nature you could rent with the family or your buddies for a weekend stay too. Either way I love the idea and look forward to hearing more.

Back