at what point does gas prices prevent u from racing?

So from my basic ecomonics courses, and what I'm reading here, this is what I gather.

If the price is too high and the demand starts to go down, they cut production and keep the price where it is.

If the demand is too high, they increase production and increase prices.

Sounds like a lose-lose to me. My opinion is hitting them where it hurts, electric cars, and small cars in general. Take Europe for instance. I had a buddy that went over there and he didn't see a big truck for like 3 days. They all drive small fuel efficient cars.

Oil dropped almost $10/barrell today (dropping it back under $100) due to reduced demand.

Supply isn't an issue anymore, they have been saying that for quite some time. It's being driven by demand and speculation. A bunch of commodities took the hit today because of the oil drop.

A sad note is that we are letting them control us instead of us controlling them.
If a gas station offered fuel at $3 a gal. tomorrow, they would have a line a mile long and their tanks would go empty.
But two years ago we were yelling about gas at $2.50/gallon.

We're conditioned to $3 a gallon now and they know we'll pay it without griping and are happy because it's not $4.00.

We are major consumers and we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed their gasoline.

I don't follow you. You are saying this is a demand issue, but then you go on to say the price is set higher than it should be because they are in control instead of us. Oil companies don't set the price of oil. I don't know how else to say it. People are looking at this all wrong. Commodity prices are set by investors all over the world, based on supply, demand, and speculation. Oil companies are pawns in the game. The recent price increases are NOT due to oil company gouging.

I still haven't received an answer about my previous question. If this is all about oil companies gouging, why did prices fall during the fall of 2008??

I say next time we go to war to liberate one of these OPEC countries, we plant an american flag in the sand. We should have our own oil producing piece of property.
Spoils of war, right.

I say next time we go to war to liberate one of these OPEC countries, we plant an american flag in the sand. We should have our own oil producing piece of property.
Spoils of war, right.

AMEN BROTHER!! I have been saying this forever.........We should take one of these countries over. Iraq would have worked just fine, then we would have a stake in the oil we are using.

I don't follow you. You are saying this is a demand issue, but then you go on to say the price is set higher than it should be because they are in control instead of us.

It's not complicated.
When the time comes that the highest consuming countries find a suitable alternative to oil, resulting in a large considerable drop in oil demand, prices will drop like a rock.

The day will come I believe.

It's not complicated.
When the time comes that the highest consuming countries find a suitable alternative to oil, resulting in a large considerable drop in oil demand, prices will drop like a rock.

The day will come I believe.

Then we are on the same page!

Sounds like a lose-lose to me. My opinion is hitting them where it hurts, electric cars, and small cars in general. Take Europe for instance. I had a buddy that went over there and he didn't see a big truck for like 3 days. They all drive small fuel efficient cars.

Europe is a prime example as to my assertion that conservation and reduced demand will not bring down the long term price of gasoline.

As long as I have it, it won't! ;)

Also, I agree with Mr. TimSr90. Just deal with it and quit trying to solve something you cannot do anything about. If you wanna get you an electric car, get one. If you wanna get a gas hog, get one (you just might need to get a higher paying job than you currently have). It's more like the oil producers are getting us where is hurts. They ain't sweating it.

Heck, 3 out of the top 4 on the fortune 500 had something to do with oil companies and the producers of oil/gasoline? Better get back to complaining about that squid that t-boned you last year when you were in 13th place and coming through the pack for the win! ;)

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/full_list/

Ride on I say....

Spoils of war, right.

Unfortuneatly, if we did do that, and yet continued to refuse to extract the oil from the ground and continue telling people to quit using gasoline instead, it would cause the price of gasoline to climb rather than fall, because yet another oil producer has been taken out of the market. And if the purpose is to take a foreign country to drill there, and increase the supply on the market, we have that ability now, without taking a foreign country, and we could clobber our trade defecit at the same time. We just refuse to do it. In fact we keep reducing the number of rigs in operation in the US. Last week seven huge floating oil platforms pulled up anchor and left the Gulf of Mexico because the US government would not approve drilling leases. They headed to Brazil where the US subsidizes oil exploration by the Brazilian government.

We have two options to bring down prices. Beg 3rd world dictators to increase production. (Begging Saudi Arabia has been the policy for 40 years) or Slam the world market with American oil, drilled by American workers, from American rigs, on American territory, and under American regulatory jurisdiction. America is not a world oil producing nation by choice, not because we dont have oil.

America is not a world oil producing nation by choice, not because we dont have oil.

Makes no sense to us that do not know all what we think we do or....

...those of us that know we do not know all we need to to make an intelligent judgement....

...does it?

Peeps need to quit thinking they have the answer. There are world powers than know all this and we only know what they feel we need to or what the news wants to lie to us about to make a story and get a rise out of peeps....

...regardless, I ain't really all that worried about it 'cause I ain't going to do my research to know what it is I need to. Think I'm an idiot? Great, I did my job. ;)

Carry on complaining.... :)

P.S.- Sorry to be unsensative ya Jack wagons. Just my mood today. I'm having ride withdraws and bum weather blues... :(

i work 2 jobs so that i can ride during college... its definately hard, so lots of times i just ride at free places now like hillsville by my house... its a sand quary where you can build tracks and stuff, its actually pretty gnarley.

and i definately have to carpool more.. no more going by myself.

id say $6 a gallon and im going to have to sell the f150 and buy a 2wd small pickup to get to the races.

It's almost like the US doesn't want to drill their own oil because one day it's gonna run out in Saudi Arabia and those arab countries...and maybe its a long ways away from the end of oil during our lifetime but one time again in the future america will control oil when it's dried up in the middle east and rip the world like the saudi's have been doing. (I know, wish I could count how many people rolled their eyes and moaned ''idiot'' to that one.)

If the government would cut the gas tax to truckers it would help out the economy. Hell they should cut it to everyone. 18% or more in tax on 1 gallon of gas...ain't it? That's about 75 cents a gallon it would come down for those guys paying $4.15/gallon in diesel. May not sound like much, but 400 gallons later it adds up for those guys. That would help keep the Grocery costs down you would think...I don't know. I do know that it sucks, I was going to buy a nice used 08 gmc sierra and now I've decided against that probably gonna go the Jon16 route and trailer a bike behind a beater civic to the track... Actually... I'm almost not looking for a dirtbike now. A new one anyway. Going to be the used 2 stroke route instead of the brand new crf 450 that I crave so badly.

It really sucks and rattles my chain because my brother doesn't get to experience the same racing I experienced when I was younger and I feel like he's getting cheated out of a childhood that I had.
Everything is Quadruple now what is used to be, bike cost, gas cost...practice and race fees almost doubled...which is understandable...all comes back to Gas. Water trucks and tractors cost a lot to fill up...Frank at apple cabin...1800 bucks a month! That's 90 riders on the track tearing it up, and he doesnt make any money until the 91st rider shows up with his 20 bucks.

Spoils of war, right.

I agree 100%! We take the frickin" country and free everyone from the supressive a#$holes who were running it, then annex the place.

Hi, anyone knows any good diesel mechanic jobs in downtown. I am 29 years old time served with all papers. I have applied for a working holiday visa but would like sponsor once I'm over. I have lots of experience on diesel trucks and hydraulics. I have specialization in engine, compressor, suspension field..

diesel mechanic

Here is a list of Oil & gas companies that are suppose to go nuts hiring people in the fracking field. I would guess they might need diesel mechanics as well.
http://www.guernseyworks.com/oil&gas.htm
If you meant you have "time served" in prison forget it, they won't take anyone with a felony charge or if you can not pass a drug screen.

Back