Bill480 Hurt?

Well I ended up going to the er for a bit today.. 2 fractured ribs and a 50% collapsed lung. They are trying to tell me that my collar bone isnt broken. I can move it around with my finger lol. anways im gonna pray that they are right even though im almost positive they arent. Took 10 xrays of my ribs and one shot of the collar bone. I guess Ill find out for sure on monday when I see the orthapedic surgeon.

Good luck with the ribs and collarbone...but keep an eye on the LUNG!!

I broke all the ribs except for one on my left side and also the left collarbone, when I went to the ER they told me I had "bruised" my lung. Well, a week later I was at the drs office getting some xrays for plating the collarbone and he tells me "don't sweat the collarbone and ribs, your lung has so much fluid buildup that it's pushing your heart over into your airway" made me swear I'd go directly to the hospital. Ended up spending a wonderful week in the hospital with a chest tube draining my lung down. If they hadn't told me the lung was just "bruised", I would have paid more attention to the fact that I was always short of breath.

Good luck with the ribs and collarbone...but keep an eye on the LUNG!!

I broke all the ribs except for one on my left side and also the left collarbone, when I went to the ER they told me I had "bruised" my lung. Well, a week later I was at the drs office getting some xrays for plating the collarbone and he tells me "don't sweat the collarbone and ribs, your lung has so much fluid buildup that it's pushing your heart over into your airway" made me swear I'd go directly to the hospital. Ended up spending a wonderful week in the hospital with a chest tube draining my lung down. If they hadn't told me the lung was just "bruised", I would have paid more attention to the fact that I was always short of breath.

Eeeek! Yea the lung part is scary. I havent really been short of breath at all yet..just a little cough that seems to be going away. I have an apt with my regular doc as well to check my lungs next week.

If you go to a good surgeon you don't need a plate and screws. Only one doctor in Ohio would touch me with a rod instead of a plate...

And was your crash on the second double?
That's not 100% true. No way mine would of healed without surgery. Shattered bone and all the muscle tissue that had bone fragments and not to mention it was 2 inches lower than my other side. I wait for the day I rebreak like bill at the plate....heal up man.

They definitely doing surgery again then ?

That's not 100% true. No way mine would of healed without surgery. Shattered bone and all the muscle tissue that had bone fragments and not to mention it was 2 inches lower than my other side. I wait for the day I rebreak like bill at the plate....heal up man.

I wont know until Monday. Thats when I go see the surgeon. I'm gonna opt for surgery either way.. it feels so much better once its plated together. It looks like it broke very close to the inside of my chest this time and popped up a couple inches. Hurts like hell right now.

Hope you guys recover quickly. I'm just starting to ride motocross, and all these injuries I am hearing about are making me want to go back to trail riding. Oh well, guess I'll just have to be extra careful and take it slow.

I'm sorry you must have miss understood me? A titainium screw does require surgery, its an alternative to a plate and screws. It's basically the new good way of fixing collerbones but not to many surgeons do it yet.

I'll have to post a picture of my before and after breaks. Because my break was about an inch, maybe a bit less from my aorta (spelling) and it took the doctor about two hours of surgery to fix it. The collerbone break I had was at a 90 degree angle sticking str8 up, and my shoulder was lower on the other side before surgery and I looked goofy as hell.

I still say its weird how everyone is breaking bones on the same jump at apple cabin. fix the jump? it keeps kicking people forward.

Hope you guys recover quickly. I'm just starting to ride motocross, and all these injuries I am hearing about are making me want to go back to trail riding. Oh well, guess I'll just have to be extra careful and take it slow.

Well...you can't be afraid of getting hurt, and really you have to almost expect it (in the back of your head) every time you go to the track. Ride smart, try to stay safe but not everything can be prevented! Someone could T-bone you at an intersection on your way to the track...risks risks... Happy ridin!

I'm wondering how they got a rod in your little concavely shaped collarbone.....the mysteries of medicine....pretty sweet, if it heals better and it helps why not.

Well I went and saw the ortho surgeon today.. strange news. My collar bone doesn't appear to be broken.. but the old plate isn't completely attached to the bone anymore. Looks like one or two of the screws ripped out. Doc wants to wait a couple weeks and see what happens. I on the other hand want him to do something now... summer is short enough as it is. He gave me an appointment 2 weeks out.. I think I'm going to call him in a week and try to get in for some sort of resolution.

george I seriously hope your joking I am really really really really happy you are not my doctor if a ride in a collar bone amazes you

anyone want to grab a phillips screwdriver and try tightening down the loose screws in my collar bone? im guessing that would work. listening to & feeling the plate move around every morning is extremely painful.

Update if anyone cares to know..

The new diagnosis is I pinched/severed my "long thoracic nerve". My collar bone isn't broken.. plate is kind of sticking out though. The nerve i messed up is what controls the muscles in the shoulder, keeping the blade in line and working correctly. Now my right shoulder blade is sunken in and I have literally no use of my shoulder muscle. They say I can ride but it's pretty hard to control the bike with no strength in my right shoulder. Going in for an EMG of the nerve either this week or next to confirm. I almost don't want to. Last time I had nerve damage that took 3 years to heal back to 100%.

Anyone want to buy a 2010 CRF450R with about 20 hours on it?

Bill, best of luck with that. This sounds strangely similar to what I'm dealing with right now on my left shoulder, though mine is to a lesser degree.

Don't worry about the Doctor's liking MX riders!!! We make them boat loads of money. If you have a doctor with an attitude, FIRE HIM...lol

I've broke both collarbones, more than once. Neither time did I elect for surgery, mine are fine... Only a little distorted... Like my brain...

df405

Wow, poor guy.

The surgeon is not gonna be happy with you messing up their good work.
Those in the medical field probably don't have the highest regards for dirt biker riders and racers.

Seems like the injury rate is up in the past year. More than usual ya think?

hate to hear this, best regards to a speedy recovery Bill480

Just an fyi that this thread and injury are from last summer in 2011. Hopefully, Bill480 is healed up by now.

Back