Red Bud Regional

Unfortunately, in the heat of the racing, I wore the helmet cam to the line in my first moto today, and turned it on.......... then I forgot to push the record button at the start of the moto that I won after a 4th place start. Then I left it off the rest of the day and didn't have as good luck in any of my next 3 motos. So no helmet cam footage, I'll do it tomorrow to get a video of Vet action at Red Bud.

Story of day was ROUGH RoUGH track......... it beats the tar out of you. Zman made a valiant effort to return to the Vet B moto 1 with the bad foot, and didn't have any better luck, he moved into the top 10 and crashed putting a hole in his radiator and ending his weekend with a dead bike. I started in 4th and moved into the lead on lap 3 and won the first Vet B moto.

Plus 35, I wheelied badly coming out of the gate and shut off momentarily and was mired back in the pack. I moved up to 14th by moto end, but James Povolny smoked the class with some other guys out front as well.

+40, I didn't wheelie but hit the rut a little sideways out of the gate and sent me into a double swap that I barely saved....... make it another bad start as I was in 24th at the grandstands on the first lap. I pushed hard and got up to 9th by moto's end. John Agin finished 2nd in that moto, and Rich Silvers was 11th.

Moto 2 of Vet B, I got a bad start again and moved quickly up to 8th but hit the wall with my arms as they gave out 1/2 way through the race. I decided to play it safe and stay up and maintain position and finish there. I'm sitting in 5th overall and only 2 points out of 3rd overall right now. A good last moto tomorrow and I'll have a ticket to the show.................... Rich Silvers finished 14th and has a 5 - 14 for 12th overall right now. Needs a good last moto to carry on.

Sharc will be posting pics soon.

Tough on the starts .... sounds like good racing though. How did it go today ? What about any other Ohio boys ??

The posse made it out alive.
Great racing at a great track.
We had all 18 classes done including 12 Consi races. by 1:30pm Sunday.
These guys can run an event.
The weather was perfect 70 and overcast with just enough breez to feel good but not blow you away.
I struggled with the gate all weekend. got a couple nice starts but not enough to post any results.
post some pictures later. too bouncy in the truck.

I think Rocket is in in 30, 35 and 40
Silvers right on the bubble 30 and 40 . Rode great though
Many battles of death to talk about.

Great pics Sharc....track looked ruff..... cant wait for some updates to see how everyone finished..... 250 looks good braaaaaaap!!!!

No helmet cam......... I took it up and turned it on before my first moto......... then forgot to hit record at the start of the moto. Then I left it off all the rest of my motos all weekend for fear of screwing up.............

Sharc took all the pics, he has the same camera as I and left his big zoom lens at home, so I provided mine to him for use for the weekend and he turned into Simon Cudby looking for artistic areas to shoot "special" shots that show some special RED BUD features in the pics. Great stuff.

As for my second day, it went pretty darn good. It started off OK with the 3rd moto of the day in still pretty moist smooth soil for 2nd moto of +35. I screwed up the start again........ hit Grega in the arm in the first turn and caused him to stall......... dodged a couple of pile ups and then soldiered up to 14th from way back. My starts were getting worse......... what the hell is going on here?

Second +40 moto is in prime time and I have to do something about my start........ I decide to leave my normal gate area and go more inside. And instead of looking at the gate or pin directly..... I decide to look furthur ahead due to the long ruts after the gate that were giving me fits and catch the gate drop out of the bottom of my peripheral vision......... it worked much better and I got a top 10 start in the heated plus 40 class. I moved up past some other good starters and rode hard to finish in 6th place for the moto. After a 9th in moto 1, the 6th in moto 2 has me up to 6th overall........ good day.

3rd Vet B/C moto - My bread and butter class, with 1 - 8 moto scores, I'm sitting in 6th overall and need to finish strong to make sure my ticket is punched for Loretta Lynn's this year. I do the same "new" start technique and works like a charm snaring me another top 10 start. I push hard early and get past some squirrely riders and settle into 4th place. Top 3 gapped me early while I was working my way up, but I can see the trio all moto staying just a straight away ahead of me all moto. I finish in 4th and know that my ticket is "Golden" for Loretta Lynn's in MY CLASS! I'm super pumped about that, but my 1 - 8 - 4 moto socores only net me a 5th overall. There was some talk of protests of the some of the top riders as it seems that they ride "A" class back home but were dropping down to Vet B/C for Loretta's and those protests will be decided by MX Sports with chance to move up the official score if riders are DQ'd. Rich Silver rode hard and put in good motos but one erratic moto held him back to an 11th overall. He's hoping to get in as an alternate or move up if there are disqualifications on riders in the top 10.

Moto 3 of Plus 35 - I'm deciding if I should not ride this moto or not and save energy for the +40 since I'm running a 14 - 14 moto scores and am way back in this class. But what if something happens in the last +40 moto and then I can't even apply as an alternate for +35 then if I don't run the moto.......... OK, I'll run it and see what happens. If I get a bad start, I'll run slow and look for lines, if I get a good start.......we'll see. Well......... probably the best moto of my life ends up happening ......... I got a good start, made some passes and was on rails for the whole moto. I finished 6th in the moto (which some of you are probably thinking how is that good???) but I beat guys that I've never beaten in my life in this moto without them crashing. Guys like Dennis Dooley, Rodney Carrier, Jon Agin..... these are guys that I know are going to beat me and I beat all of them in this moto. I latched on to Jay Wagner on his 350 KTM and figured out that I can run with him and stick on his back wheel. I was so excited to ride that well that I knew that +40 was going to go well for me. And my 14 - 14 - 6 moto scores landed my in 11th overall (an OK alternate spot if I need it).

Last moto of the day / weekend for me.......... +40 moto 3. I run the "new" start method again and come out in a good spot again. I'm running about 7th off the start and I'm right behind Jon Agin (who's got a 2 - 2 up to this point in +40). Jon and I are friends and I know I should chase him as hard as possible to move to the front. We make a couple of passes to get into 4th and 5th and I ride it out to 5th place after a another great ride for me. I'm feeling great and excited about my rides and know that I made it in +40 class with a 9 - 6 -5 for 5th overall and another "Golden" ticket to Loretta Lynn's in the classes that I wanted to make it in! Rich Silvers came home in a solid 11th in the moto and ended up 11th overall with 11-11-11 scores. He just might get in as an alternate with that score.

Some interesting side notes - All the first day and beginning of the second day they are announcing me on a "Husky". People don't even pay attention to a "Husky" thinking it's just a weird guy on a weird bike. But someone corrects them and they announce over the PA system that Robin McClain is not riding a Husky like they've been saying but it's a HUSABERG............ and Larry Whitmer, why don't you tell us a little bit about Husabergs..... Dead Air............ Crickets chirping..... and then change of subject. So my next moto they start talking about the Hussy and saying that I'll be the only Husaberg under the Factory Hussy Semi at Loretta's and maybe they should qualify on a Vespa and get the full factory Vespa treatment etc etc. Pitracer's roaming report MX Bum Bruce even overheard in the parking lot at his hotel a guy say " There was even a guy on a HUSABERG out there!" I also ran into Rodney Carrier in the awards line and was talking to him (who won the overall in the +40 class) and told him I was the guy on the Husaberg. He said in the last +35 moto when I passed him and rode away he was yelling to himself......... "there goes the guy on the HUSABERG!!!" Nice guy and long time KTM Rider who was interested in the Berg and what it feels like. People stopping along the Pit Road and asking "What kind of bike is that?" Anyway, with the full Enduro Engineering Bark Busters and the Husaberg engine, I get a lot of looks at the line from anyone who happens to notice the bike that guy is riding looks weird for some reason.

So overall a good weekend for me, Jon Agin rode great and ended up 7th overall in +35 and I think 2nd overall in the +40. We're going to try to catch up and do some riding together in July down at Briarcliff to get ready. I was so busy with my 3 classes that I don't know how anyone else other than Rich actually fared and I don't think anyone else from the northern Ohio Pitracer crowd made it in directly other than Chris Opliger and possibly his son too. Results will be up on Red Bud's site in the morning I'm sure. And Sharc will have more photos soon...........

The youth regional was live on escoremx and trackside. Anyone know of any results posted anywhere for Red Bud?

Great report Rocket.... congrats on making in.... Hope Rich gets a break and makes in to.... looked like a good time.... cant wait for vetfest....

Rocket - Great report! It looks like your strategy of angering people on the track for passing them on a "woods bike" is really working. You should take Z-Man's IT 200 to LL's as a backup bike

Z-Man - Any report on the foot? Broken? Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

This guy takes a second look at that funny looking woods bike.
IMG_2212.1.jpg

Back