Red Bud Regional

Chuck,
#2494 is you jumping the infield table-top.
I saw you were getting over that thing nice and clean by the end of the day….Sweet!

Chuck,
#2494 is you jumping the infield table-top.
I saw you were getting over that thing nice and clean by the end of the day….Sweet!

That's funny Sharc. Here's how that conversation went...

Michelle: Why aren't you jumping the infield table-top?

Chuck: Can't from the inside and the inside line has a sweet rutt!

Michelle: The outside line is faster and you wouldn't flat land the table

Chuck: But the inside line has a sweet rutt!

Michelle: But the outside line is faster

Chuck: Yes dear...

64 entries in some classes. I still dont agree with overbooking regionals like that. Looks like you guys all had a good time though, and from the sounds of it REd bud knows how to get 3 races with overbooked regionals in a weekend.

Cole Thompson won 11 out of the 12 moto's he ran. Any comments on him, he has to be smokin' fast...

Went 19-1-1 250 B stock
1- 1-1 250 B mod
1-1-1 450 B stock
1-1-1 450 B mod

Cole Thompson was so smooth and easy riding that it looked like he was going 1/2 the speed of the other guys out there while walking away from the field with no pressure whatsoever. He was buttery smooth on that rough track.......... and really never had a race with anyone he was so much faster than everyone else!

64 entries in some classes. I still dont agree with overbooking regionals like that.

RedBud pushed 874 entries through 75 motos over a two day period…..Yes, 75 Motos.
Plus, they offered practice both days and were done with the last moto around 1:45 Sunday.
I have no issue with my 2011 Red Bud Regional experience …..None at all.

Of the 17 classes offered, 5 classes did not even have enough riders to make a full gate. The other 12 classes had more than 40 riders signed up and needed to have qualifiers…..Even with 75 motos we were done before 2:00…..

I don’t see your disgruntlement with the over booking George…..actually, I like it. It makes perfect sense to me why they do it and I also think that it makes for a much better overall racing experience.

Cole Thompson won 11 out of the 12 moto's he ran. Any comments on him, he has to be smokin' fast

Cole was the highlight of the weekend. He is fresh off of 2 class wins, while finishing up no worse than 5th in any class at Oak Hill, and sweeping all of his classes at the Freestone Spring championship in Texas. At his area qualifiers (4 classes (each) in 2 different regions) he has won 15 of 16 motos. (He placed second in the moto he did not win.) I would pick him as a favorite in August in the 250 and 450 Stk Int classes.

I did not have a stopwatch but I would guess his times were the fastest of the weekend, but the rules make him eligible to compete in the b class so why not go for a pair of titles at the national. That is what makes amateur racing at this level fun, right Georgie?

As Robin already pointed out he was "poetry in motion" on the track. When he pullled the holeshot he pulled a comfortable lead and cruised to the victory. When he had a poor start (and poor was 5th to 7th a couple of motos) he worked his way into the lead by the end of the first lap and ran away with the victory.

bruce

Cole was the highlight of the weekend.

As Robin already pointed out he was "poetry in motion" on the track. When he pullled the holeshot he pulled a comfortable lead and cruised to the victory. When he had a poor start (and poor was 5th to 7th a couple of motos) he worked his way into the lead by the end of the first lap and ran away with the victory.

bruce

It reminded me of 2008 when we were at Red Bud for the regional watching a guy named " Ryan Dungey" Clean house while looking like he was play riding in his back yard.
I had the same feeling of amazment.

It reminded me of 2008 when we were at Red Bud for the regional watching a guy named " Ryan Dungey" Clean house while looking like he was play riding in his back yard.
I had the same feeling of amazment.

I believe you are thinking of 2006, when Ryan and Ty Bowers ran away with the b classes. It was funny, because I was thinking of those races as I was walking across the infield watching Thompson in action, thinking of 2006 when Ryan and Ty had such a lead by the 2nd lap that as we (myself, Troy and Jade Dungey and Tim Bowers) were walking across the top of the infield from the finish line to the monza wall the rest of the crowd was walking the opposite direction to see the rest of the pack.

In 2008, as a pro, Ryan did not fare well at Red Bud going 8-24. Of course, that was better than 2007 when he decided to crash and cartwheel at the landing of the ski jump, suffering a concussion.
Red Bud was not kind to Ryan those first two years as a pro.

bruce

When you get my age the years all run together........I thought 2008 was not right.

Still all good....

It all blurs together between the fast amateurs, Throw some Dollars, sheriff's showing up because of stolen gas, and "the show's up here honey!"

I did not have a stopwatch but I would guess his times were the fastest of the weekend, but the rules make him eligible to compete in the b class so why not go for a pair of titles at the national. That is what makes amateur racing at this level fun, right Georgie?

bruce

I didn't have any complaints about what class he was running...I just wanted to know how he looked. B class isn't a ''novice'' class. He can run it as many years as he feels apt to do so. It's the C class that needs reformed. Everyone knows that the fastest class at loretta's year after year is the B class...and rightfully so, you have a lot of riders 14-16 years old that can't move up to A because of age or because they're fast but not comfortable running a wicked pace the entire moto. To be successful in A you need to be fully developed physically. I don't see a reason to put a still growing boy/girl into the A class.

B class is my favorite.

Overbooking - Isn't it nicer just to focus on three solid motos? And not having to run a Consi if you had a bad moto 1? And not only that but overbooked going into moto 2 you have another guy with the same score as you. I guess it makes it more competitive. But if they over book regionals, they might as well overbook the national and allow 64 to show up.

Your idea of overbooking is based in some form of Georgie Reality that doesn't exist. Simple math solves your equation......... there are always 8 area qualifiers with 8 guaranteed spots leaving possibly 64 riders at any regional in any class. They are trying to have full gates in all classes at the regional but you never know who will get hurt, not have the money, have bike problems, etc etc between area and regional so they give more "spots" than gates out hoping that a full gate shows up. When run properly (like Red Bud does), regionals with qualifiers are great so that 2 of your 3 motos are full gates with one qualifier moto that does not as it's split in half.

And if you are running outside of the top 20 in your half class for the first moto and have to go to the consi...... chances are that you aren't a Loretta Lynn's caliber rider anyway and this was just a pipe dream to make it there anyway. There are plenty of riders at the regional that "have no business being out there" in any of the classes.

And if you are running outside of the top 20 in your half class for the first moto and have to go to the consi...... chances are that you aren't a Loretta Lynn's caliber rider anyway and this was just a pipe dream to make it there anyway. There are plenty of riders at the regional that "have no business being out there" in any of the classes.

And I am one of them!..."no business on the track". I make it to LL last year and this year don't even make it through the first lap of practice! As I would say....I was a "yard sale" this year. The foot is not broken, but I did crush it bad. Really black and blue and still cannot put weight on it. Oh well, looks like my son made it to LL in the 4-6 shifter class. I would like to think I have been coaching him well, but after my nightmare at RedBud, it is clear I need to keep to myself!

I like they way it is done now with the "heat races" counting as the first moto. I remember years back when they actually had qualifiers in the morning, ran all that, and then still ran 3 motos each class. That made for some LONG days....seemed like you'd be at 3pm and not even run a first moto yet.

I guess the alternative to 8 races x 8 spots would be taking less guarenteed spots from each area, like 5 since 8 x 5 = 40 riders. Then if not enough guarenteed spots send money in start filling with alternates to reach a max of 40 instead of max of 64 slots. But I have no problem with the way it is now.

And I am one of them!..."no business on the track"

zman you had some bad luck but by no means are you "one of them". You were flying at Wildcat Creek right out of the winter gate. RB just showed her teeth but you weren't alone. If you look at all the DNS and DNF's and squad runs I remember saying to myself Saturday night I'd be blessed to just make it out of here.

Back