Ktm 350

John250

PR Founding Father
Did anyone else notice on the High Point telecast that they said that Alessi has switched back to the 450 for the outdoor nationals?? Everyone was saying that the 350 had an advantage outdoors, and now the factory boy (short is on the 350) is using the 450........back to what I said, I dont think the 350 has enough power outdoors.

On the local level I saw a 350 come off the line last week, and he got pulled all the way up the start straight by the 450s. I would not buy a 350.

I rode a 2011 350 at a demo and my 2010 KTM 250 sx is faster. Seems like an ok bike but the 450 without a doubt puts it to the 350 from my experience.

I don't like the 350 at all. They are far underpowered for any track related competitive event, as for the woods, who knows. I wouldn't spend money on one, KTM can barley take a win in SX let alone on a bike 100cc smaller than the others.

Haha...... Lets see what happens if you get someone like Reed, Villopoto or Dungey on one. Then you will see what it can do.

I have to disagree. Maybe on pro level it's a little disadvantage however locally.. I don't think so at all. I've pulled 2 holeshots in the mud against 450s. At beans jon16 (not a slow guy) was right behind me coming through the back corner before the big uphill and he said I stayed right in front of him, if not pulled a little.. And he was on a 450. Granted he had the inside and i was on the outside so I had a little more momentum but I expected to see him pull right next to me and pass me but he didn't.

I think it takes a 250f style rider to make power on that bike. You can't lug it around like a 450 but if you keep the rpms up and ride it like a 250f its got plenty of power.

When I rode 250f and 450 my lap times were almost always faster on my 250f and surely it didn't have as much power as the 450

I say ride one then judge it. I love mine and I've hated ktms as long as i can remember.

I don't like the 350 at all. They are far underpowered for any track related competitive event, as for the woods, who knows. I wouldn't spend money on one, KTM can barley take a win in SX let alone on a bike 100cc smaller than the others.

Far underpowered? No...they rip. If RD, RC, CR, rode one they would win on them.

Short went from leading motos and getting podiums and top fives last year on his CRF450, to battling with privateers and barely breaking the top ten this year. What's different?

Short went from leading motos and getting podiums and top fives last year on his CRF450, to battling with privateers and barely breaking the top ten this year. What's different?
CR and RV added to the mix hurts SOME.

also, alessi won the first race last year on a 350.

Stewart used to win races on a 125 2-stroke while everyone else was riding 250fs.

And for the record, Reed won the first race last year on a KX450f.

Sure, you added RV this year....CR was there last year. You also added Jake Weimer who has been riding great. But this year you also are missing Townley, Josh Grant, Justin Brayton, Alessi (first two races).

Fact of the matter is that Short got 3rd overall last year in 450 points and also helped win the MX of Nations. He went from battling with Metcalfe, Dungey, Reed, Windham last year to battling with Wey, Weston Peick, and Tyler Bright this year.

I'm not trying to bash the bike. I'm probably one of only a couple in this thread that has ridden one. But the facts, as they say, are the facts.....

Stewart used to win races on a 125 2-stroke while everyone else was riding 250fs.

Sure, you added RV this year....CR was there last year. You also added Jake Weimer who has been riding great. But this year you also are missing Townley, Josh Grant, Justin Brayton, Alessi (first two races).

Fact of the matter is that Short got 3rd overall last year in 450 points and also helped win the MX of Nations. He went from battling with Metcalfe, Dungey, Reed, Windham last year to battling with Wey, Weston Peick, and Tyler Bright this year.

I'm not trying to bash the bike. I'm probably one of only a couple in this thread that has ridden one. But the facts, as they say, are the facts.....

So what you're saying is.... Honda's are better? Better trade in yer yellow machines! :p

i should have said won a moto. i think second overall.

I agree about Short. I think he should switch to the 450 also. I think the 450 is a awesome bike, I personally think in the pro ranks no matter what, you can not give up 100cc.......there are too many great riders and in any form of motorsports at the end of the day there are too many places where you need raw horsepower.

After just getting home from the Lorreta Lynn's Regional at Red Bud (a power sapping track)...... Jay Wagner was doing pretty darn well on his KTM 350 in the Vet Classes against a whole field of 450's. And Jay is a big tall guy, not a 120lb guy. The right rider with the right skill set can make the bike do wonders if it's set up to him.

As far as Short goes, he's on a new brand with new suspension components that he has no history with. Testing testing testing will make the bike suit him and his needs better as the year goes on.......... how many times did we say that James Stewart doesn't look good on the Yamaha due to his suspension holding him back. With WP components......... it's all new for Short too, no history to go back on and get a close set up that worked in the past.

I personally wouldn't get a 350 as I'm a bigger bore type guy that likes monster torque with low revs and that's not how a 350 runs. Not due to the bike......

Short will get better and be back in the top 5 soon, Allessi will get hurt again, and Reed / Villopoto will battle for the title to the end with Dungey sniffing around in 3rd for the rest of the season is my prediction of outdoor nationals this year. Great stuff to watch!

maybe dungey will follow decoster. and show everyone that a 350 can make podiums.
i think well see short on like motoconcepts or valli yamaha next year. (idk how many years he signed tho with ktm)

I don't care who you are, i'm sure you can agree that KTM's are different...they handle different....they're just different. Some love it, some hate it. But you definintely know it's not a jap bike when you mount it. And like Rocket said with Short not testing for long on the KTM machines he just needs more time to adjust. He had alot of hours on that nimble factory honda of his and it showed.

I feel KTM's are sort of like a love, hate relationship. You either love them or you hate them. With shorty coming from Jap bikes he may not really like them and it is going to take a lot to get in tune with the bike. He also may never get there and want back on a jap bike.

I don't care who you are, i'm sure you can agree that KTM's are different...they handle different....they're just different. Some love it, some hate it. But you definintely know it's not a jap bike when you mount it. And like Rocket said with Short not testing for long on the KTM machines he just needs more time to adjust. He had alot of hours on that nimble factory honda of his and it showed.

see i used to agree.. but not anymore. the only thing that doenst feel jap about it is the big fugly front fender.. IMO. I haven't ridden any other 011 ktm's so maybe the other models are different.

Stacys KTM was different when I rode it, but I felt like I could go at my speed if I had a couple days on the bike. It didn't feel like the older KTMs.

I think in the pros, it could make a difference not having that 100cc of power. On the local level? I don't think it really matters. I think its much more the rider than the bike on the local level.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Back