OIR experience

Holmboyz

PR Addict
I just wanted to share my experience from this past weekend at OIR.

This was my son’s first race of the year so we decided OIR because it’s a track he likes and it’s near our home. My goal was to keep an open mind about the track, the quads, and the staff and see how the day went. My goal for this post it to provide some honest feedback for riders who haven’t attended yet and also provide some feedback for OIR to keep in mind moving forward. I’ll break down my experience based on Pro’s and Con’s.

Pros –

Overall, the track layout is nice. Not “huge” changes but the track is wider in some sections, a lot more bowl corners, there have been a few more jumps added and some of what was there has been more “sculpted” and better defined as a jump…if that makes sense. They opened up the back section again and incorporated some of the newer middle section.

There were tons of people working (maintenance and flaggers) and prepping the track. Watering system and drainage system looked to be improved as well.

The track prep was ongoing – cultivators and discs were constantly working the dirt.

Crew was attentive and friendly. There were also some ice additions to the facility – covered sign-up area, fresh paint, new concrete, etc.

Despite not being a big Quad guy, I really enjoyed watching the money quad class. The guy from Baldwin was fun to watch and there were some good battles behind him.

Cons –

Everything seemed to be running about an hour late. Racing was to start @ 9am, didn’t start til ~ 10am.

I figured the Bike turnout would be light because of Amherst 2-day but I didn’t expect such a low overall #. From my Race Order: Quad’s = 37, Big Bike’s = 38, Mini’s on the Pee Wee track = 10. I assumed there would be a ton of quads here for this event…and maybe 37 is a lot but there were only 5 classes outside of the $ class - the biggest gate was 12 in Open and the others had from 1 to 4 riders, the $ class had 9. To me, the low Quad #’s were the biggest surprise of the day.

Pee Wee Track. I had a nephew racing as well - the low # of riders was a bummer for everyone; including OIR I’m sure. Beyond that out-of-their-control note, the only concern would be the 2-3 foot high wooden stakes placed in the inside corners of several parts of the track. One wrong move could lead to a bad accident. One Pro on the Pee Wee track was the disc’d starting area!

Walking Areas – there were some really big drainage “ruts” when walking down to view the start or up the hill on the big track. Potential for air casts if you’re not paying attention.

PA System – not sure what it was but there was some major feedback/distortion coming from some of the speakers at times. Not a big deal…unless you happened to park next to them! …specifically, the ones by the first bowl turn after the downhill and revised triple.

Jump Faces and some landings – some large rocks sticking out.

Lastly, and to me, most important – Blue groove/hard pack/slick apexes.

Despite the effort to dig up the hard pack, it just didn’t work in the middle of the corners for the bikes. I watched as the tines of the cultivator bounced on top of what appeared to be brown “concrete”. The equipment worked great on the entry and exit portions but only left shallow grooves that collected some of the dry, rock hard dirt that had chipped off the surface and made for some of the slickest corners I’ve ever seen bikes race on…think Outlaw Sprint Cars.

Basically, from my observation, some of the best lines for the bikes was outside in the corners where all the good soil had been kicked to and then you’re going outside-outside to retain traction and anyone trying anything different was either sliding out or going slow trying to avoid sliding out…turned into a slot car race of sorts. Not the best conditions for MX riders or MX fans.

I knew the days of deep OIR ruts and huge braking bumps were probably gone but I was hoping the prep in between Motos would be enough to get some small ones going resulting in a less technical but fast, nicely prepped track to race and have fun on.

If I’m a Quad guy, this is probably like heaven-on-earth.

If you’re a bike guy, I don’t know…it’s a different experience and different challenge to the rider now…maybe that’s a good thing? I’ll tell you one thing, don’t waste your time training for deep rutted corners…wet down a parking lot, spread down some topsoil and practice there! Not being in CRA, and going on the same day as them, had to be the gate killer. The Motos were boring to watch because the lack of #’s and despite getting out before 5, the day seemed to take forever…but we assumed that going in.

So, would I go back?

I asked my son if he wanted to race there again and he said there’s a Pro Bike Day that was bikes only and he’d go back to see how that was but after looking for myself, the schedule says bike and quad day. My only hope at returning for that event would be if the team at OIR could try to address the hard pack even more after the quads run. I know they attempted…they went back and forth numerous times in these areas but it just didn’t get deep enough…maybe plastique explosives for prep and intermission entertainment?! Since this was our first event at OIR this season, it would be nice to hear if the conditions were any different when the bikes ran first vs. the quads running first like they did this weekend? Maybe the 20min +2 for the $ quads took the track beyond repair for both sets of Motos?

I truly hope the OIR team can address the last Con… the facility is one of the best around and one of our favorite tracks in the area. It’s obvious they’re putting in a huge amount of time and effort and I’d hope the facility continues to make improvements in order to retain the bike segment of their events.

Yesterday was my firt race and my first time at oir and I think its my new favorite track. The track was preped nice but money quad running 20 mins straight really blew all the dirt off the track but overall it was a fun and gOod day

Yea that is a tuff one. I dont know how track owners do it with the races. I would think there is a ton of overhead involved running the races. Then if you get subpar turnouts or rain you potentially lose money. I almost came out to race but money and time did not allow for it this weekend. Im hoping the rain stays away for the next open practice date. Ive been looking to ride at OIR for years now but it hasnt happened.

What you guys dont understand is that it was pro quad day, There going to run first. On pro bike day there going to run first!

As for improvements there whole crew works very hard to please everyone. Give them a chance.

OIR is a great facility regardless of the promoter. With that said, bike racers and quad racers will not get the best track conditions possible when they race together. Bikers usually come out on the worse end of it. as I said before:

"We tried in Pa, some tracks would groom completely after quads, some did not. Even when they groomed, the track never came back around as it became more one lined. The answer is to run them seperate days, but that is too expensive for promoters with insurance, expenses etc, or run a staggered race day where quads run their entire program either before or after bikes and their intermission can be bike practice if quads run first"

I really wish more tracks would consider split session. COCR did quads and kids in the morning and big bikes in the afternoon a few years back and it worked great. I was at the track about half the time as normal, track conditions were good in both sessions, and it APPEARED to be minimal effort on the promoters side to pull it off. Just seems like a win-win to me.

OIR always does a great job with the track. It was a pro day for quads so yes they will be catering to them, I help at a number of tracks with prep on race days. It is easy to sit back and say that they could have done this and that, It takes a lot of work to get the track ready on raceday. For running an hour behind? Let me know when you find a track that runs right on schedule, plus part of the fun of motocross is spending the DAY at the track.

To Holmboyz: Thank you for your honest input and views from this past Sundays race day. All very constructive and that is helpful to the owners. They appreciate your support and thanks for coming out for the day with your son. Im sure they will continue to work on the suggestions that are coming in for consideration. As far as the time frame, we need to make some adjustments and will continue to keep the day moving efficiently. Again yhanks for the constructive input, hope to see you again at the races.

Holmboyz - The staff of OIR would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. This is what we are looking for!

We have put a lot of work into the previous drainage issues throughout this past winter and rainy spring which has set us behind and we have just begun to work on the actual track flow. We will continue to work on start times. Unfortunantly, the track was extemely dry and we started practice about 20-30 minutes late as we tried to dig the track a little deeper.

As far as rider turnout, we too were disappointed to see only about half of the riders we had seen at our last race. We had feedback after the event which led us to believe that many bike riders thought this was a quad only race. Also, bringing quads back to a track that has not welcomed them for many years is not easy. We have received notification from some quad riders that they are not interested in attending an event at a "Quad Bashing" track. Unfortunantly, we believe it will take us some time to regrow the quad population. We were very pleased with our 1st event turnout as we had as many if not more riders then 4 of the 5 sanctioned events that were held on the same date (5/29/11)

The stakes at the Pee Wee track will be removed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. These stakes were used by the previous promotors and we haven't had much of a chance to touch the pee wee track yet.

As far as the ruts in the walkways, we intend to address our washout areas very soon. Again, our rainy spring put a big damper on this.

The PA system is being looked at as well.

As far as the hard pack - we dropped the ball on that one. We didn't want to cut the track the night before with the possibility of heavy rain and we couldn't get the dirt cut deep enough to hold moisture and bring up ruts, breaking bumps, etc. Better equipment is in the works to assist with this. We gambled and lost. We would love it if the weather was a little more under our control.

Ken - as far as a staggered raceday - we will definitely keep this under considerations for future seasons. This would allow for better track conditions for all and make life easier on us.

Everyone, please be patient with us and remember = yesterday we were racers -today we are promotors. We want each of you to have the best riding experience when you come to spend your day with us.

We will give the same "special" attention that they deserve to the bikes on their pro day - after all they are racing for $3,000.

Again, the staff of OIR appreciates the time and effort that you exerted to bring these issues to our attention.

Thank you!

P.S. The Pro Quads were pretty awesome!!!!

It's so hard to make everyone happy. So much work involved with a track, it should be 100 bucks a class to race and 50 a class to practice. People don't realize how good they got it when they get to a prepped track.

To all tracks...THANK YOU!!!

The best thing the crew at OIR has going for them is their heart towards the riders, the track, the undeniable effort put forth, and the mountain in front of them. The second best thing is the track. The third best thing is we the riders.

The worst thing they have going for them is themselves, we the riders, and the mountain in front of them. I say the worst being them because in life we are our own worst enemy, before anyone else.

Chris and Jason know they are essentially babies learning to walk or new promoters learning to run a race. They are working hard. They are listening. They are making mistakes. They are growing and understanding what it takes.

I have gotten to know these guys; they are humble and willing. I believe they will find a way to make their vision for OIR work. They are in this for the long haul.

I was there for the second race helping with announcing (which the P.A. system went whacky) and other odds and ends.

For the track, they need some different implements to work the dirt, and a bigger more effective water tank.

Starting on time is key...we screw it up at Malvern sometimes.

It was a long program for the amount of riders, the right equipment will help reduce time in track prep.

They are getting things figured out. They don't make excuses, they face the truth.

OIR is a great facility within the mx community with many other tracks to be included on that list. Their is some changes taking place at OIR with the track itself, the format and all of the above.

We should be patient with these men, and give them a fair chance. You can't figure it all out in one, three, or seven races. Life is a constant time of making mistakes and learning.

I am with these men, and will do what I can to help, they really have a good attitude. I would much rather work with someone who knows nothing and has a good attitude then someone who knows everything but has a crappy attitude.

We should stand behind the good tracks in the area like Beans, Briarcliff, Smith Road, Western Reserve and Hand Promotions, OIR, Malvern, TV Land, Amherst, Apple Cabin, Battlesburg, Dirt World, Crow Canyon...and the list goes on.

We have more tracks to ride on in Ohio than many states, and many more tracks surrounding Ohio. You can point out good and bad about every single track and every promoter, or you can be thankful FIRST!!!

I have screwed up tons of times in my life, how about you?

We should stand for the sport of motocross, quads or bikes.

Maybe the idea of running all quad motos and all bike motos separate would work. I am deffinately in favor of a bike only race and practice here and there, like the pro bike day, but it's not my decision. This is their first year.

Like Georgie said...alot of worked involved in owning and operating a track...I am talking from experience. After seeing the other side of the fence, if you owned and operated a track, I wouldn't be quick to bash you about your faults, I would be quick to be patient and help, even if helping is just showing up to watch.

The quad race was sweet, Josh Upperman hauls. March Winchester and Tim Detling rode great too.

OIR is very much alive and pressing forward. They will learn to stand.

To all the tracks, THANK YOU!!! May you stand also!

I agree somewhat Georgie, but a 400 rider turn out with gate and moto fees brings in around $15,000. Posisbly a bit more. But how do you get 400 plus rider turnouts? Ask the Hand family.

I agree somewhat Georgie, but a 400 rider turn out with gate and moto fees brings in around $15,000. Posisbly a bit more. But how do you get 400 plus rider turnouts? Ask the Hand family.

You don't race quads for starters. If there were more of a market for them I would be all for it. But there just isn't. On pro bike day they pack 40 bikes on that gate.

Quads and bikes don't mix. It's just he truth. I have many quad rider friends but hate to be at the same track racing with them...

I'm not bashing moshers...I appreciate your attention and respect your willingness to suceed. Best of luck, I hope the turn outs get better!

free candy and puppies... gets em every time

Im still puzzled why this is happening, hands leave and the next year they get 60 riders..... i figured at least the new promoters would have to butchers a few events in order to loose the crowds.

I went to both events they have had and there wasn't many people at either the practice or hare scramble, granted, hare scrambles are usually small turn outs anyway and it down poured for practice, but i still wonder why no ones showing up? If you would have asked me last year what would happen if OIR had open practice, id tell you that people would come from near and far to ride that place, but now im not sure whats going on. I wish the new promoters the best of luck, and hope that they get it all smoothed out and back to what OIR has been.

with out to much insight and without seeing the track at the last race, i know for a fact that the hands had dirt hauled in every race to cultivate back in, mostly sand but none the less.

Yea, quads will take 10 years of dirt hauled in and spew it away in one weekend in the turns... the sliding rear end of a quad destroys a dirtbikes environment for ruts.

So is it worth it for the promoter...sacrifice a 400+ bike rider turnout for 60 at most quads ? Our demographics say no, especially in an expensive economy for motorsports.

Factors to consider on rider turnout......

1. The Hands have been racing for years and have a name in the racing community. From day one the turnout was huge. Not because of prep or facility but because of the name. They didnt build a following after a season or two, it was from day one! They always had 25 - 40 on the gate for +30 and +40. No other local track I have been to brings that type of turnout in those vet classes. Think about it, this is the age group the Hands know the best. I can tell you that the biggest reason I raced there was the turnout in the vet classes made great racing for me, not the track layout. No offense but I never did care for the layout after the previous owner.

2. CRA. The new owner is an outlaw track. I can say with most certainty that 3/4 of the turnout was lost right here. The CRA is the second largest sanctioning body in the USA. Smith road gets a nice outlaw turnout but they have the same owner running races pretty much since mx started and they hold a race once a year on an off day. From my experience outlaw races normally just do not produce a nice turnout when running against other sanctioned races.

3. LOTS of people I have talked to heard OIR closed and not just switched promoters. An extremely large portion of the racing community is still word of mouth. If people didnt hear about the new ownership they arent coming to race.

Just three things I dont think anyone has considered regarding rider turnout.

Goodwill ......is a concept, meaning the value of an entity over and above the value of its assets.

<O:p</O:p
The term was originally used in accounting to express the intangible but quantifiable "prudent value" of an ongoing business beyond its assets, resulting perhaps from the reputation the firm enjoyed with its clients.

Goodwill is the value placed on the continued relationship between a business and its' customers and venders. Business flow and volume are based on the continued spirit of the business reputation in the community. Buyers want to purchase the goodwill instead of starting from scratch.

It takes a lot of money to build a business over time. The advertising, marketing, branding, and the experience of the customer base creates the goodwill.

Goodwill is not fluff that many owners would like to believe, the tangible stuff is easy to buy but the goodwill is the real value of the business. Cash flow is generated not by the inventory, equipment and fixtures, it is the goodwill that makes the difference between a business being worth $100,000 and a similar business being worth $250,000.

The goodwill is the sweat equity that has been put into growing the business.<O:p</O:p
Never sell short on the goodwill you, the business owner, bring to a business.

OIR did ask for feedback so I dont know why anyone would interpret this as bashing. I didnt hear anything mean spirited or hateful lol. They asked and guys responded. Hopefully the get what they need in terms of turnout.

OIR - Thank you for your reply. I’m happy to see you understood my intent was NOT to bash but to provide constructive feedback in hopes to improve on an already great facility! A couple comments to your response…

“We have received notification from some quad riders that they are not interested in attending an event at a "Quad Bashing" track.”

– This is unfortunate and not only hurts OIR but the quad community as well. They now have the opportunity to ride one of the best tracks in the area and they’re boycotting because of what some may “think”? I figured their skin would be tough enough to handle some BS from the 2 wheel guys!

“Ken - as far as a staggered race day - we will definitely keep this under considerations for future seasons. This would allow for better track conditions for all and make life easier on us.”

– This concept sounds like a winner… and gives one group the chance to sleep in and THEN have a great day at the track:)

“As far as the hard pack - we dropped the ball on that one. We didn't want to cut the track the night before with the possibility of heavy rain and we couldn't get the dirt cut deep enough to hold moisture and bring up ruts, breaking bumps, etc. Better equipment is in the works to assist with this. We gambled and lost. We would love it if the weather was a little more under our control.”

– Good luck on that weather thing….but I appreciate this info. Like I said before, it was VERY apparent that you’re putting forth a huge effort with the near impossible task of making everyone happy and I hope for all of us, people will continue to support your efforts. We will be back on Pro Bike Day and hope you get a break with the weather plus, a good turnout…looks like the race schedule should work in your favor.

One thing that doesn't help turnout is that RacerX ran a news item on their website stating that Ohio Internation Raceway SHUT DOWN. I think they later removed or corrected the news item, but........

I remember when Hands took over they had to work hard to build up their turnout. I raced a lot there the first couple years and mostly raced about 15 guys in the Vet classes back then. They took a ton of abuse on here as well when they changed to bikes only. I'm sure Gail has fond memories of all the posts by quad racers on here, haha! The Hands worked very hard to establish all that Sharc listed in his post. Now the new promoters have the same hard work to do.

Not being able to continue with the CRA does not help turnouts either. Believe it or not in this day and age of instant information and social media there are still people that will just look at their CRA printed schedule and come to the conclusion that OIR closed because it's not listed on there.

I also think that a lot of this new found fascination with social media has made a lot of people "dumber" I guess would be the word -- seems like I'm finding more and more people that just aren't capable of going out and putting in effort to find out information on their own -- they need someone to tell them, tweet it to them, or post it on their FB wall so it's right in their face or else they are clueless.

I think given some time that OIR will be right back to where it was on top of the heap in Ohio. Looking at all the work they are doing I can't help but see positives. People might not be showing up in droves again yet, but they sure are quick to ask what happened, who was there, etc etc.

The Hands turned it into "the place to be" come race day. Now, without them it is the "place we are all wondering about" so to speak because everyone is unsure. The location is tough to beat, the owners are putting in a ton of work and are good people, and it's only a matter of time and hard work before it's the place to be again.

Back