Lucky Find.

majorKAP

PR Addict
Some of you know that I had a couple of RMs stolen while at mid-Ohio in July of 2007. Last night, while browsing the web, I happened upon a few pics of a '82 RM465. At first, I thought they were pics I had taken years ago. Then, I realized the pictured bike was in someone else's backyard.

A couple hours later I had pinpointed it's current location.

I'll begin the long road trip to the address in the morning, and will follow later with a report about how things play out. Poor guy doesn't know what is about to happen.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a clue about the whereabouts of the '81 RM250 that went missing at the same time.

Shhh.

Karl, don't want to tell you what to do but, also don't want to hear you got hurt or got into trouble. Be careful my friend. Tony

Oh, there shouldn't be any trouble. I'll be taking the local sheriff or a trooper along with me....my title and police report in hand.

Problem is, I've been talking with the guy, surreptitiously garnering information to ensure that it's actually mine. He thinks I'm coming to buy it.

I'm absolutely convinced he's not the thief, and that he bought it in what he though was a legitimate deal. Sounds as if the original thief trashed it good in the nearly 4 years since it was taken. The guy with it now has evidently put a lot of money and effort into it since last winter fixing it back up, albeit not nearly as nice as it once was.

He's unfortunately gonna lose, just as if it was being stolen from him, and I feel bad about that.

After all is done, I'll reveal his name. Some here probably know him.

Below, pics taken the day before they went missing:

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00460-1.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

Some of you know that I had a couple of RMs stolen while at mid-Ohio in July of 2007. Last night, while browsing the web, I happened upon a few pics of a '82 RM465. At first, I thought they were pics I had taken years ago. Then, I realized the pictured bike was in someone else's backyard.

A couple hours later I had pinpointed it's current location.

I'll begin the long road trip to the address in the morning, and will follow later with a report about how things play out. Poor guy doesn't know what is about to happen.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get a clue about the whereabouts of the '81 RM250 that went missing at the same time.

Shhh.

It's times like these that I wish it was legal to pay thieves with Counterfeit money. Stealing from the Thief at his own game, that would be a great last laugh. I can't believe you found that thing.

I guess you can feel bad but when it comes down to it, you always know in the back of your mind the risk (or should be anyway) when you buy a non-titled bike. He'll be sick over it for next 4 years as you have been for last 4. I think it's a fair trade! Hope all is well.

Good luck man, I know how it feels, I got my first brand new bike (98 kx100) and it was stolen, I knew exactly who did it but had no proof and the kids got away with it. I ended up seeing what im Positive was my old bike down to the 12 year old stickers that I had on the thing on craigslist in canton somewhere. i text the guy and asked if i could come look at the bike and he said yes. so i tried calling the police station and dealership trying to find some proof that this was my bike, but back then bikes didnt come with titles and both the police and dealership said they only keep records of purchases for a few years so i had no way of proving it was mine. ended up asking the guy what the vin was the same day and he all the sudden said "its sold"

so much for that haha

Damn... has it been 4 years already? Don't I recall you getting one of the bikes back, b/c some hillbilly was riding it up and down the street all day long? Or was that a different bike that was stolen from Mid-O?

Whatever the case-- I hope ya get the bike back, and catch whoever stole it. I'm the one who had all the drama at the Medina fair last summer when somebody was out racing my bike that was stolen 4 days before. Good Luck, and post up how it turns out. --Tony C.

Tony, the RM recovered last July was one that belonged to my friend Bob Adams. It was taken from the pits as we slept next to it while at the AHRMA event in Morgantown WV. When he got home on Monday, Bob placed a Craigslist ad advertising a small reward. Some kid ratted the thief out by Wednesday. That ended well.

My two bikes were taken in July of '07, and yep, that makes it 4 years!

Happy to report the successful recovery of the '82 465. Although it's not like it once was, I'm still glad to have it back. I'm still on the lookout for it's missing mate, the '81 250.

I'm using a Marriott Hotel lobby computer in Cumberland MD to type this. On my way home still, looking at 7 hours or so.

More of the report and pics to follow, probably on Tuesday.

So, I was looking at this site: http://www.facebook.com/login/setashome.php?ref=home#!/groups/fullfloater

On it, I saw a post by Allen Shaffer which included three pics of my RM465. Amazingly, the bike hadn't been altered too much, and I was able to positively identify it....right up to my own handwriting in black Sharpie ink on the rear shock body.

I clicked on Shaffer's name and went to his Facebook page. Little info from there, except for his "business" name (ASR-LLC). I googled that and was able to get an address and a phone number. He lives in that weird little dangling area of land on the far eastern side of the WV map.

I wasn't sure what to do next.

So, I googled the name Allen Shaffer and AHRMA. When I did, I found a listing on June 23 for the bike here: www.vintagebikeads.com

Then, I called and spoke with him to see if he still had it. He did, and said he wanted $1400 but would take $1250. He told me that he had "completely" rebuilt the engine, added a new front tire, brake cable and rear sprocket and chain since he bought it, but he is a busy man and has little time to ride it. I asked a few questions to help me make certain that the bike was one of mine, but I didn't let on what I was thinking.

He told me that several folk's were interested and that I needed to move fast if I wanted it. I asked if he would hold it for me a while if I sent a PayPal deposit of $100. He agreed, and said he would hold it until the end of the month or until I could have a shipper pick it up. He didn't expect me to be in his garage the next day.

On the long drive up there, I kept dreading that I was going to have to take a bike from a guy who in all likelihood was a fine fellow and may have done no wrong. Really, I was kinda torn up about it.

I called the Mansfield OH police to ensure that they still had it in the national computer. They did. Then, I called the Berkeley County WV Sheriff's office, and gave them an idea what I was up to. I didn't mention any names, because I didn't want to take the chance of tipping anyone off.

Yesterday, about 5pm, I was on his street. My brother Robby was with me. Robby is a career cop in Lexington Ky and he was with me the night the bikes were stolen. He wanted in on any action. I called the local Sheriff's office and asked them to dispatch a deputy.

Before the law arrived, I pulled in the driveway at the guys home (which incidentally, is also the address of his fancy sounding "motorcycle performance" business). He raised the garage door and met me. He had several bikes in the garage, including a Hodaka Combat Wombat. I saw my bike sitting on a stand.

We chatted cordially for a while, then I turned to my bike. I acted as if I was looking it over like a buyer might. It broke my heart to see how much it had suffered during the last four years! I was able to see that the engine number matched mine. I said, "I thought you told me on the phone that it had a new front tire, sprocket, chain and brake cable". They were worn all to hell. He denied saying it. I asked him about the engine, which had been painted and did seem to have new gaskets. He said he did all the work himself and that the bike "runs like a champ". Then, I asked about the condition of the air filters. I'm the one that put the UNI stickers seen in the pics on the airbox covers. Believe it or not, he said he wasn't sure because he never checked them.

"What?!", I said. "You rebuilt the engine and ran it and you don't even know if there are air filters in the bike at all?" I had had enough.

So, I started telling him the story about the two bikes that I had restored and took to mid-Ohio. I pulled out a album and started showing him my pictures, and all of the receipts for parts....filed and in chronological order. I told him about the bikes being stolen. I pointed out how similar the pics of my RM465 was to the bike in his garage. I asked him if he knew where I was headed with the conversation.

"Huh", says he. I said, "Allen, I'm not here to buy that bike. It's mine, and I'm here to take it home". He still wasn't quite sure what was going on. I told him that the bike was stolen, I want it back, and that the law was on the way. As if on cue, a couple of deputies show up in the driveway and I think I saw the color drain from Shaffers face.

I explain the situation, and the deputy says "no problem". Shaffer starts to object. He said that it's not leaving until he removes all the stuff that he put into it, including what he said was a new DG pipe. The cop said, "No sir, when I run these numbers and they indicate that Mr. Poindexter owns the bike, he's going to take it". The numbers checked out in my favor.

Shaffer says, "I don't like this one damn bit". The cop tells him, "Sir, you don't have to like it. But here's what we have. In a theft recovery, we fill out paperwork. On it, we list a "victim" and we list a "suspect". Guess which one is you."

Shaffer was advised that the mere possession of stolen property is a crime. He asked Shaffer for information about how he came to acquire the bike. Shaffer gave some obscure info about a Craigslist ad in Maryland but couldn't come up with dates, names, addresses or receipts. Nothing. He also had no receipts for any of the alleged "work" he had done to the bike.

Shaffer says, "Who the hell gets a receipt for a 30 year old dirt bike". I remind him that I have the original California title in my pocket.

I think the Shaffer guy is shady. I want to believe that he didn't steal it. But, he sure misrepresented the bike's condition when I called him, and his story to the cops was a bit off as well.

I signed a few forms and then Robby and I loaded the bike into the bed of my pick-up.....exactly in the spot where I last saw it 4 years ago.

I turned to Shaffer and said, "Allen, I don't believe that you stole the bike. And I figure you actually did put some money into it. But as this officer told you, I'm not responsible for compensating you in any way. That being said, I want you to keep the PayPal deposit and here is an additional $250 bucks....from one enthusiast to another."

He hesitated and then said...."I was hoping for much more than that, but if that's all you're offering, I'll take it."

He was pissed! I extended my hand but he didn't take it. He turned his back, stomped back into the garage and shut the door leaving me, my brother and the cops standing in the drive. No "thank you", no "I'm sorry", and no "have a nice trip" was heard.

Any empathy I may have had for Shaffer vanished.

I've already begun a dismantling inspection of the RM. I'll get a few pics posted later.

It actually doesn't seem to be in nearly as bad a shape as it could have been. One interesting thing I have noted is that the fuel tank on this 465 is the one that had actually been on the 250 on that dark and rainy night in Ohio way back when.

It all sounded good until the part about paying the guy for what was already yours. Anyway.... congrats on the recovery. Hope you can find the other ride. --L*64

Back