Lucky Find.

Wow what a story Karl!

Without being there, just reading this and also the comment about the gas tank leads me to believe this person knows more about the situation than he is admitting.

I think you should go on Paypal and retract your $100 payment!

good for you on the recovery,I'm not that forgiving,hard to steal with a broken hand,but thats just me,glad you got one back
smitty

Karl Glad you got one bike back. My opinion your too nice. This guy already proved that he wasn't telling the truth about other things.
I guess in the long run nice guy's finish first.
keep on keepin on.

As thorough and meticulous with your stolen bike recovery as you are with your restorations. I'm assuming you don't think this guy is the actual thief because he seems totally oblivious to all of your recovery efforts over the years. I did a Bing search for a 1981 RM 250 for sale and the first image that came up was your bike.

1981_rm250.jpg

Unless you have another for sale?

As was earlier stated:

"On the long drive up there, I kept dreading that I was going to have to take a bike from a guy who in all likelihood was a fine fellow and may have done no wrong. Really, I was kinda torn up about it."

"I'm absolutely convinced he's not the thief, and that he bought it in what he though was a legitimate deal."

"I think the Shaffer guy is shady. I want to believe that he didn't steal it. But, he sure misrepresented the bike's condition when I called him, and his story to the cops was a bit off as well."

I did recently sell a 250 and a 500, but I don't have anything for sale at this time.

I think I would have had the cops treat him as the thief and see if some information could have been "squeezed" from him.
It's amazing how someones memory improves in the face of criminal prosecution.
I surely hope they checked the other bikes in his garage.

As was earlier stated:
"I think the Shaffer guy is shady. I want to believe that he didn't steal it. But, he sure misrepresented the bike's condition when I called him, and his story to the cops was a bit off as well."

Hope there will be more to the story and it continues to go well. You are a good guy.

great story......I think I would have left him have the $100 pay pal deposit, but kept my $250 in my pocket for being shaddy .... We had a bike stolen once, knew where it was, saw it in the guys garage, and the Dayton PD detective at the time said not to go get it. He was s working a bigger case. His bigger case was that he was involved in a theft ring getting titles and such for stolen bikes. This was the early 80s. The detective ended up going to jail, and the bike we are told ended up in the bottom of the Great Miami River.

Shaffer gave some obscure info about a Craigslist ad in Maryland but couldn't come up with dates, names, addresses or receipts. Nothing. He also had no receipts for any of the alleged "work" he had done to the bike.

Shaffer says, "Who the hell gets a receipt for a 30 year old dirt bike". I remind him that I have the original California title in my pocket.

Having your old bike titled does carry a lot of weight in a dispute.
I buy a lot of parts off ebay, and can't help but think how many are from stolen bikes.

Not only is this a happy ending but the story was well written too! Thanks for the details on recovering your bike Karl !

If someone's on the up'n up, I don't even think they'd accept the additional $250 you so generously offered up...much less act like an azz after accepting it.

One more reminder to carry Insurance on your MX bikes as is is only 80 or 90 bucks a year.

Something sound wrong as old bikes rarely have titles but I always get a bill of sale or print
and save the listings plus e-mails to have a paper trail if needed.

Back