First Big Jump!

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Now of course this is relative to ones interpretation of a "Big Jump", but when and where was the first time you had thought you jumped something big?

For me it would have to be it would have to be 3/4 of the track at Wild Wilderness in 2002. I thought I had really jumped a few things then, But that would all change in 2006-present......

110' or so jump at Hard Rock in Fla. 4th gear to the stop SCREAMING that thing to just barely clear the downside.

The jump at apple cabin when they first opened along the woods. It wasnt the length as much as the take off was too abrupt and kicked you funny then shot you straight up. I think is was only 70 or 80 ft. My stomach twisted every time I jumped it !

110' or so jump at Hard Rock in Fla. 4th gear to the stop SCREAMING that thing to just barely clear the downside.

The jump at apple cabin when they first opened along the woods. It wasnt the length as much as the take off was too abrupt and kicked you funny then shot you straight up. I think is was only 70 or 80 ft. My stomach twisted every time I jumped it !

Sissy.

I’m a giant puss when it comes to jumping so I don’t even remotely begin qualify to give an answer on this……I’m not a jumper….never have been, never will be…..

But,
Amherst Meadowlarks Center Table-Top gave many a CRA rider fits during the early 90’s.
That and Spring Valley’s “jaw breaker”……
Before that….Malvern had a nice, big, steep up-hill double that would bring the spectators out to watch the Pro class throw some “cross-ups”……..
Actually……in the late 70’s Smith Rd.’s center up-hill was a great place to watch the fast guys fly and style.
Jon Leak always had sick, smooth cross-ups that would have us kids in awe…..

Biggest hucks I ever saw……(Before 4-strokes made it possible for everyone to be a jumper) was Freddie Andrews and friends playing on Broken Spokes upper track.

The one I remember most was 89 at the Columbus indoor. The track was freshly watered for practice and of course I felt I should do the finish line jump the first lap. All I remember was dad standing over me on the track, "really, the first lap". Long night in the hotel! Some how my bike managed to roost the skin off my back, the rear fender was toast as were the levers, bars and throttle tube. I always liked the last jump of the back three at Honda Hills, you could jump as far as you could and land under the dirt/mulch/horse sh#%. I loved the ski jump too, I remember watching Troy Grahm rail the corner and launch to just before it flattened out, yet so smooth. I know, Honda Hills does not classify as a big jump track but that was moto-x! I miss that place. I still have some of that soil mixture in a bottle some where. "Mulch Man"

Great times watching the big boys practicing at the top track of Spokes. Watching Brock Sellards
and Casey Johnson screaming down the hill 5th gear tapped to make doubles out of the
two table tops was amazing.

Hershey, you can jump better than me so yes, I am a puss but how many corners are on the
track compared to jumps? Ouch, that one hurts just a little doesn't it? hahahaha.

417269877v2_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

Hey puss, you can call me a sissy when you jump better than me !

I'm not a jumper... but after I learned how to ride a little-- I LOVED the big uphill at the old school OIR track. It was 4th gear pinned, shifting to 5th on a 125. You could probably have hit 6th, but it was kinda easy to jump too far and not make the RH turn after. What made it worse is that everybody did the same thing lap after lap, so you had to land, brake, downshift, and set up for the turn in a sea of 2 foot braking bumps! Later on I learned not to launch as far as everyone else-- stay to the inside edge of the track (and out of the monster bumps), and pass somebody every lap by staying to the inside of the RH turn. --L*64

Great times watching the big boys practicing at the top track of Spokes. Watching Brock Sellards
and Casey Johnson screaming down the hill 5th gear tapped to make doubles out of the

Hershey, you can jump better than me so yes, I am a puss but how many corners are on the
track compared to jumps? Ouch, that one hurts just a little doesn't it? hahahaha.

Nice, lets do a 10 lap moto and see who ends up in front ! HAHAHAHAHAHA.......That one hurt a lil more now didnt it ???

Now that is some funny stuff right there ! Please note how the bike is level and on flat ground. Thats me and my arms for sure !! LOL

Our very own Trent Heller (trent56mx) hit that jump on his CR 125. Sickest thing I ever saw. 120 ' peak to peak. 30 - 35 ' in the air for sure.

Trent, you have any pics of that ???

Wasnt even aware it was doable on a 125!? lol Gravity cavity at Dirt Country years ago was pretty tricky. Shecks downhill for the few that rode it was pretty cool. Beans Uphill in the back was a long time coming too! That one requires a bit more comitment then most at least for me. Usually most jumps arent as "big" after you hit em a few times lol.

biggest for me was the 160 at 330

first big jump though was the first time i came to the awesome beans road back in like 2000. its crazy how much the track has tamed out since then but is much better now.

230216_10150577118615162_537565161_18724705_686056_n.jpg

I'd say probably the best one I've jumped would have been the Jawbreaker at Spring Valley. It wasn't the hardest jump I've ever hit, but I think it was the biggest.

I remember long ago thinking that Gravity Cavity at Dirt Country was big, which it was back in the late 80's or early 90's........probably the biggest would be the widow maker at Kenworthys.

This wasnt me, but we did have a 65 do the finishline jump back in 2007, which was when it was 100-110'. The boys name was jacob skinner. He was the first, the last, and the only one. And probably the only one that could hang on the big track with the normal crowd.

Larocco's Leap is the biggest I've prolly done. First big jump was prolly the triples at Scenic when it first opened, or anything at MX153 the first couple years I rode there.

Jon16AB.jpg

Back