First Big Jump!

Widow maker at Kenworthys

and Dave (S). table at hard rock wasn't 110', I'd give it 80'. have in on tape somewhere, I'll bring it over to argue if we have to. Still proud of ya for that one though

Spokes top double was 100' peak to peak, 120' to downside the landing table, measured it with a 100' tape. think I still have that on an 8mm somewhere also

john leak at smithroad

I’m a giant puss when it comes to jumping so I don’t even remotely begin qualify to give an answer on this……I’m not a jumper….never have been, never will be…..

But,
Amherst Meadowlarks Center Table-Top gave many a CRA rider fits during the early 90’s.
That and Spring Valley’s “jaw breaker”……
Before that….Malvern had a nice, big, steep up-hill double that would bring the spectators out to watch the Pro class throw some “cross-ups”……..
Actually……in the late 70’s Smith Rd.’s center up-hill was a great place to watch the fast guys fly and style.
Jon Leak always had sick, smooth cross-ups that would have us kids in awe…..

Biggest hucks I ever saw……(Before 4-strokes made it possible for everyone to be a jumper) was Freddie Andrews and friends playing on Broken Spokes upper track.

i was there at smithroad when john leak use to style the jump, here me on the same jump, he use to stick his leg out and cross it up, thats how i jumped it everytime. he did it 10 times better than me, but it the same idea. he's a local great in my book, along with gary easton, jerry sales, jeff hicks, joel andrews, and fred andrew used to jump malvern gravity cavity and had to lay it sideway not to hit the bridge.
IMG_NEW.jpg

i was there at smithroad when john leak use to style the jump, here me on the same jump, he use to stick his leg out and cross it up, thats how i jumped it everytime. he did it 10 times better than me, but it the same idea. he's a local great in my book, along with gary easton, jerry sales, jeff hicks, joel andrews, and fred andrew used to jump malvern gravity cavity and had to lay it sideway not to hit the bridge.
View attachment 3492

also harold robinson

Hit up Kahuku on the North Shore of Oahu, they change the track once a month. It is high speed and always has sweet jumps. They range from big to wtf, and they have some small stuff too.... sometimes.

The First "Big" jump that really made me feel like a good rider was the old double table top behind the grandstands at Red Bud. You came out of a big banked turn and had to keep the gas on all the way off the huge face while going a bit diagonal off the face to shoot you way up in the air and clear all the way to the second catch ramp like the pro's did........ the Pitracer Posse called that the Albertyn table back in the day because he would float so cool over that one.........

That was the first time that I felt like I was a "good rider" because I could jump that jump every lap!

I guess I didnt really play by the rules here. First one I thought was big was the old table top at scenic back in 2000 or 2001. There was like a little six pack after horse power hill on top, the table followed that. I thought that was so cool to jump threw the rythms and then blast that table. I still miss that jump. Allot of inspiration came from that track.

1978 Friday nite MX at Norwalk Raceway was the first double I ever jumped. Ill bet not many of you raced at Norwalk. These days I do the 1/4 on my GSXR......less dust and no jumps !

I guess I didnt really play by the rules here. First one I thought was big was the old table top at scenic back in 2000 or 2001. There was like a little six pack after horse power hill on top, the table followed that. I thought that was so cool to jump threw the rythms and then blast that table. I still miss that jump. Allot of inspiration came from that track.

Did you ever see Gavin Grayck jump "gavin's gap"? The rythem section after horsepower hill was a double double then ski jump and you'd land going down the hill towards the table you speak of. Gavin would come up the hill, double in, then jump off the 2nd double and land on the backside of the ski jump take off. It was big!

I think David Hill also did some such nonsense. Amazing really. That section used to be one my favorite sections of any track.

Did you ever see Gavin Grayck jump "gavin's gap"? The rythem section after horsepower hill was a double double then ski jump and you'd land going down the hill towards the table you speak of. Gavin would come up the hill, double in, then jump off the 2nd double and land on the backside of the ski jump take off. It was big!

No i didnt, but wish that i had...

Does anyone remeber Otts house. I think the big double table combo was my first 100+ huck. That place had all kinds of huge jumps. the down hill in the middle was scary.

And the top track at spokes back in the day was awsome. Really amazing to watch Brock and Casey going off up there.

I would have to say the infield double that was next to the rubberband start gate at Pyramid Valley raceway, Lost Creek, WV. My first race there in the spring of '80, I was racing open C, and probably eating Maico Mark's dust the whole way! They had a sweet double that wasn't large by today's standards, but big enough. It was very siimilar to the jawbreaker at Spring Valley.

1978 Friday nite MX at Norwalk Raceway was the first double I ever jumped. Ill bet not many of you raced at Norwalk. These days I do the 1/4 on my GSXR......less dust and no jumps !

Never missed a race at Norwalk. Art Jackson, The Woodpecker, Bill Bader running the announcing tasks. That double was my first. Not too big, but built up and scarey high.for your first jump.

WOW I had to really think about this one and after las weekends race I would have to say the gravity Cavity @ Dirt Country. Not sure what year they changed the track, but this jump has intimidated me for I know 5 + years! Everyone said once you do it you will kick yourself in the arse, and they were right!!!!!!!!!

First big jump for me was the leap at red budd,after jumping that the the next would deff be the double at spokes on the top track

probably my first biggest jump on an 85 would be at hangtime mx in norwalk. It was the "back double" It was somewhere between 50' and 60' ft

Back