Works PC vs FMF fatty for 250 2 smokes. . .

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Which pipe do you all prefer on a 250cc 2 stroke machine?

Looking for opinions on response, top end and style of riding.

I'm on the pipe the majority of the time when I ride. Always in higher rpm range. I know pipes can feel very different when someone is not on the pipe. So take that into consideration as well.

And pit describe that bills pipe of yours as well. . . If you will.

Having had both on my 06 yz 125 I'd prefer the FMF over the PC any day of the week. The FMF makes far better power in the entire range. On top end they are probably close with the ever slightest edge to the PC but it isnt worth it for the rest of the power band. Also jetting the FMF usually only requires a one step in the main or needle. The PC is a jetting nightmare, at least on the 3 yz 125's I have put one on. I ended up going 4 steps higher on the main with the 05 yz 125 I had it on. I also heard from 2 others on the 05's when they first came out that roached top ends with the PC, only because they didn't know how to jet a bike.

Either that or they forgot to tighten a hose clamp ...... just sayin LOL !

How is the motor coming anyway Sharc?

Either that or they forgot to tighten a hose clamp ...... just sayin LOL !

How is the motor coming anyway Sharc?

Ha-ha.....Funny guy you are....
It will be good...Eric has the top end.

And BTW.....I have a FMF Fatty and a D.E.P. for the little YZ. Ran the FMF all last year and liked it. Just started with the D.E.P.

Did ya get yourself a scooter?

yessir. I wasn't going to say anything until Friday but what the heck.....I'm picking her up Friday. She's deposited and sold. Pictures will be posted Friday.

08 YZ 250. My dream bike that I've been so longing for. I looked far and wide, and it was right in front my nose this whole time 16 miles away from my Parents house. I suppose now I'm gonna be on the hunt for a pristine YZ 125 to convert to a 144...I didn't think the pristine 2 strokes were still out there, but I found the 250 so I know there's gotta be a 125 around somewhere in the same condition.

I think I'm solid on the Factory FMF Fatty with the Titanium 2 (shorty can) silencer.

I'm not sure whether to go V force or Boyesen for the reed setup....Whats your guys input on that one as well?

And I also plan on investing in some self tightening hose clamps, I figure those will help me out if I pull a "Marc The Sharc." --What's your thought on those little devices Marc?

Congrats!........Let's ride!
Mostly you will find this setup on YZ 250's
PC pipe and silencer, V Force
I also have a 9 oz. flywheel weight on it.

Never heard of the hose clamps.....do tell

If you can keep it on the pipe go with the DEP, it puts out like 2 more hp on the dyno than any other pipe. But has less bottom end and mid range than the others too.

Back in the day myself and 2 friends all bought 2004 rm125's...they both bought bills pipes along with v-force reeds and had some port work done...being I am cheap I just put a PC works pipe and shorty silencer on mine....no reeds or port work and everyone agreed my bike ran the best....now says I'm riding an 07 yz250 with FMF SST pipe, powercore silencer, v-force reeds, powernow, and an iBooster...a friend of mine has a 07 yz250 with sst pipe, shorty silencer, and an iBooster...my bike has much more bottom end and the exact same top end as my buddies...surprisingly the powernow was the biggest improvement...the added bottom does a lot for the rideability of the bike.....I guess in the end it all depends on the bike, and what the rider prefers...i don't think there is one magical combination of parts that is the best

Had an FMF Gnarly on 2006 with a flywheel weight, worked well and held up to abuse. Although you mentioned you ride "on the pipe" or in the upper RPM's. I would say you should seriously consider the FMF SST Pipe. This pipe is designed specifically for that type of riding, Like for sand dunes, providing more usable Horse Power at Higher RPM's.

I'd go with the FMF. Even though I am slow as a turtle, a power band that offers smooth, even-across the rpm range power makes every track and situation easier to ride. wheather you are an A rider or C rider, a wider power range offers more value.

There was a nice looking '08 in the Classifieds on here recently, is that the one you got?

Yes. That's the one. The pictures don't do it justice.

V force and power now together almost seems like overkill. And I'd imagine the 9 is flywheel would make the bike more snappy ? Is that lighter than stock I would presume?

Yes. That's the one. The pictures don't do it justice.

V force and power now together almost seems like overkill. And I'd imagine the 9 is flywheel would make the bike more snappy ? Is that lighter than stock I would presume?

No Georgie, the flywheel weight is in addition to the stocker….it smoothes things out ……think 3 stroke!
I have a Stealthy. You just unscrew the stock flywheel retaining nut, screw the Stealthy on, lock it down with the set-screws and reinstall the retaining nut…..done!

@pit:It's a good possibility. My woman is already on my case because we are putting offers on houses. I gotta convince her I can swing it lol.

i loved my fmf on my 08 250... i had the factory fatty with the shorty... i know almost all of the offroad guys were adding the flywheel weight.. but I would say ride it first and if its "too much" (little too snappy and such" the flywheel weight will calm it down a little and smooth it out like Marc said.

I rode one with a vforce and it was pretty intense.. but that was when I just switched to a 2 stroke and i wasnt really used to it..but i remmeber it being pretty hard to ride because it was sooo snappy

Well all the ktms I rode made good power but didn't have the snap I wanted. I know that can be fixed but my ideal 2 smoke will be very snappy and have long pull in the top end. Hands downs the 12 ktms had amazing top.

Id like to ride a 250 with a flywheel weight. Ive had thoughts of adding a yz250 in the garage and installing the flywheel weight on it. Ive ridden stock and always overlooked the capability of a flywheel weight. Sharc that yz you got sounds pretty sweet! Keep us posted on how the new Yamaha treats you.

Back