The be250 two stroke ever made

sdjclevland

PR Addict
The best 250 two stroke ever made

That's what mxa is calling the new ktm 250 sx. What really blew me away is that it cost 2000 less than the ktm 450. That is a huge difference and that 450 must cost a lot. Also I found it interesting they are saying the linkage is not really better

I just sold my 350 last week waiting on my KTM 250 2stroke to come in any day now, and my stupid arm to finish heal n. I cant wait to smell race gas with premix.

yeah thats what i dont get is ever article i read says the ktm is better than the yamaha but most everyone in the yamaha area says the yamaha is still better, that the yz handles better and feels faster. so who knows. Should be intersting to see now if yamaha does anything to the yz next year besides bng and a new seat cover and chain.

YZ 250's are best 2 smokes around, my opinion of course. I have been wanting to throw a leg over a 250sx but i have this thing about riding other peoples bikes! I'd like to hear feedback from someone on here who has had both bikes so until then I'll keep rockin the YZ 250

I recently picked up a nice 06 YZ250, and a buddy of mine has an 11 250SX, which I rode earlier in the year and really liked it. Hopefully soon I can ride them back to back and form a decent comparison. 2 things that worry me about KTM 2 strokes are that you can get one that vibrates bad, or really bad, and the throttle cable routing can cause the throttle to stick sometimes. Throttle is an easy fix, but the vibration is not.

2 things that worry me about KTM 2 strokes are that you can get one that vibrates bad, or really bad,

Yeah, that 250SX I rode vibrated all kinds of funky and was really unstable at low rpms. You really had to be on the pipe for that thing to straighten itself out and be rideable. But the 150 was smooth everywhere and made power almost everywhere it seemed. I don't know how 50cc's can screw up the nature of the handling of the bike.

Then again, that bike could of been poorly setup. Before I throw the KTM under the bus I'd have to ride another 250SX because all the other orange machines felt surprisingly jap to me...

I have to agree with GeorgiePorgie. I also rode the 250SX at Briarcliff on the demo day. I was excited to ride it and very disappointed after my three laps on it. I then got on my 05 YZ250 and feel that it is much faster, hits harder and handles better. Out of all the KTM's
I absolutley loved the 150. That is the only one out of all their mx bikes that I would buy.

The only thing that I can offer on this debate is I rode an '06 YZ250 a little bit, before I got my '09 250SX. And between those bikes... I still have to give the nod to the suspension on the YZ. It was seriously nice. The my '09 250SX feels a little harder in comparison. I guess you could say not as plush. Engine? Hands down the 250SX blew that YZ out of the water. They both felt about the same untill they were almost wide open. As far as the handling... well that can be left up to you. I think they both handle very well, but I prefer the feel of a KTM.

Kinda bringing back an old thread, but oh well. I was also at the KTM demo ride at Briarcliff and share George's opinion of the '12 bikes. The 150 was a great bike, but the 250 felt like flying a brick through the air but handled ok on the ground. Mind you my opinion might be bias since i have ridden nothing but Yamaha's since '99, besides a few of my friends bikes. I recently have gotten off the 4 strokes and purchased a new 2011 YZ250. No bad blood between me and 4 strokes, i guess i was just looking for a change. Now when it comes to the engine the YZ is already at a disadvantage because the 250sx is still being updated and also comes stock with a v force 3 reed valve. Since i have purchased my new 2 stroke i have installed a v force 3 reed valve, FMF fatty pipe and powercore 2 silencer. For comparison sake from stock to current set up i noticed a big jump all over the rpm range. Now for a good test id like to see the dyno on a stock 250SX to a stock YZ250 with the vforce 3 reeds. I think the reeds are only advantage the Ktm has in the engine.

My 2005 YZ 250 was probably the best 250 I ever owned. The bike was great running and handling bike.

Spun some laps on Sharc's YZ250 at Red Bud last week and the thing vibrated my hands to sleep after two laps. No wonder Yamaha uses a tuning fork as their logo, haha!

Spun some laps on Sharc's YZ250 at Red Bud last week and the thing vibrated my hands to sleep after two laps. No wonder Yamaha uses a tuning fork as their logo, haha!

They do vibrate terribly for Suzuki native riders. The bike senses your bad juju and viciously vibrates. Unless you ride it as well as sharc does. Then....no more vibrations. :p

Back