The be250 two stroke ever made

Not sure if it’s the aluminum frame VS the steel frame ….but my YZ vibrates way more than the RM.
When it’s apart this winter I’ll have the crank balanced and see if it helps reduce the buzz…

My 2005 YZ 250 was probably the best 250 I ever owned. The bike was great running and handling bike.

A friend of mine had a 2005 YZ250...he said it was the worst bike he ever owned. Said it was slow and didn't handle well at all. Just shows how much riders opinions can vary and is rider preference and what you feel comfortable with.

I had a 2008 KTM 250 SX. It was a good bike. I liked the adjustabilty of the ignition and powervalve. It was very light and handled good. It didn't rev quite as fast as the YZ. It felt like the flywheel might have been heavier. The suspension was the worst part about it. I got it to work fairly well but it was always harsh on the choppy stuff. Lately I have been riding a 2005 YZ 250. It is hard to say anything bad about this bike. It runs strong and handles great. The suspension was good stock but the one I am riding has been revalved by factory connection. I was wanting to get a newer 450 but the more I ride the YZ I am not so sure. I want to try for lorrettas next year in the 40+ class and it might just be on the YZ. I really enjoy riding it.

I would love to ride a 250 SX with a 300 SXS kit. That seems like it would be a good match up against the 450's.

Sharc, I would say there is a crank out of true issue with your bike. I have ridden several aluminum frame YZ250's and none have had excessive vibration.

I have owned a new 05,06,and 07. The 05 was bar far my favorite, what ever mm forks they used that year suited my riding style. Didn't care much for the 06 and was happy to get rid of it. Liked my 07 and once i did homework on how to adjust the settings for the conditions I loved it. Sharc it sounds to me you might have something loose,motor mounts etc, just saying that because it happened on my sons bike. Just my $.02 and opinion

I had an 08 KTM 250sx with the 300sxs kit on it and that thing was a rocket.... Switched to the Pro Circuit / R304 Shorty combo and it was even FASTER!!!!! they claimed 2hp more with the pc.

36739_1339195120078_1237159373_30789021_1948354_n.jpg

Nice bike! How did the 300 kit compare to the stock 250 setup? Did it still rev like a 250 or was more of a low RPM/torquey motor?

Loved my '91, '94, '98, '01, '03, and '07 YZ250's. I guess I'm a little partial, but I have had others in there too, but not KTM.

Sharc, I would say there is a crank out of true issue with your bike. I have ridden several aluminum frame YZ250's and none have had excessive vibration.

So vibration is excessive if not controlled by these weird grips? tag_11_gri_reb_tec_dua_com_gry_blu.jpg

My 97 CR250 was one of the best I have owned. Yes, it vibrated too, but not as much as my 500 did. I got my hands on it after 1) Pro Circuit, 2) Mike Craig (97 SX) and 3) Mark Burkhart. It was pretty fast. Handling was decent for a 97.

The only time ive really noticed the vibrations on my yz is when the bike is at very low rpms, like at idle. I usually ride the bike on the mid to high end and the bike rides smooth. I even just got off a 450 and i dont notice the vibration while riding.

My buddy has an 11 250SX that I've ridden a couple times, I like nearly all aspects of it better than my 06 YZ250. Oddly enough, my friend who owns it does not really like it at all.

I need to re assess my opinion on the 250sx. At the time that i tested the bike i have not ridden a 2 stroke since 2002. So i think the KTM deserves another try.

My 97 CR250 was one of the best I have owned. Yes, it vibrated too, but not as much as my 500 did. I got my hands on it after 1) Pro Circuit, 2) Mike Craig (97 SX) and 3) Mark Burkhart. It was pretty fast. Handling was decent for a 97.

I owned a 97 CR250 also. By far, 100% the worst bike I`ve ever ridden. Those guys at honda had that frame so over welded so it wouldn`t break because it was the first year for it. Insanly terrible handling. Awesome honda quality as usual though.

I still have a 98 CR250 that I thrash around quite a bit. That frame was used through 99 I believe, but with suspension and motor tweaks. I never felt that it was a great bike, but was never that bad. I've learned to like the bike. And the CR250 bike won a few pro races back in the day.
I've had it in my head to pick up a steel frame 96-97 CR250 one of these days beings they were the last generation.

Here's a write up by a guy on thumpertalk that might be of interest.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990674

If theres something in you itching for a two stroke, GET ONE!!! My story..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove all Advertisements

Last year I was on an 08 KTM 450... liked it, but got bored with it. Was on a Kawi 450 for two years with half of it spent injured before that.

Before then, KTM 250sx-f, KTM 125, KTM 85.. So this year, I completed the lineup past 65 and decided to get a KTM 250SX two stroke. Drove 12 hours to get it... Wanted to get the fun back that I hadn't had since the 125. Rode buddies two strokes on occasion and knew I hadn't been to domesticated from the four stroke yet, so I went for it. So before this season, I traded the 08 450 with 100 hours for an 08 250 with 12. My 450 was a beat race bike and this was an old trail riders. He wanted a 450 though, I suppose. I had visions of this going on for awhile... shredding that perfect berm on my two stroke... I knew it'd happen soon.

I have a good buddy who was with Pro Circuit for a decent amount of time until deciding he wanted to move back to the midwest. I gave him the cylinder during the winter and had him move the power more to the top. Also got a platinum2 pipe and factory sound (always liked them better than the r304 shorty) silencer. Put in the red PV spring. Suspension I kept stock but rebuilt. Other odds and ends...

I race a lot and race this bike against 450's in 450A and 250f's in 250A. Let me say, I have raced a handful of times in 450A, and the mighty little two stroke has pulled the holeshot, honestly, in over half of it's starts. I am faster this year on this bike than I was on either of my 450's. There is a distance that begins a bit out of a corner that a 450 can pull me, but besides that they seem to have nothing on me. I more than make it up going back into the next turn. It's made racing fun again. The bike is so flickable... it's like you forgot an entire dimension of riding a bike with the thumper..but then it just reappears on a two stroke.On my 125sx, I was one of the last two stroke hold outs racing upper levels of 125B and there were old guys that would always cheer me around the track. Trust me, beating the new FI and fancy 450's has them back again. And my 250 doesn't just sound like any 250... It sounds even better. It barks and screams in it's own unique way. In 250A? Forget about it. I feel like a cheater on this bike there. Especially if I ride this bike back to back with any 250f. They feel like XR's.

Part of the reason I went to the KTM 450 was for the E start. I broke my leg and hip really bad a couple years ago and while I could kick a 450 after it healed, a full day of riding and doing so left it very sore. So does the 250sx have E start? It might as well. First kick all day. From the time it's unloaded to when it's ridden to the backyard to wash once it gets home from the track.

-Every single person who has ridden my bike, whether they have a 05-up yz250, 2011 250f, or 450, has come away extremely impressed. Most have tried to buy it (which I would only sell for at least what I paid for the 08 450 two years ago... yeah, don't wanna sell it) and only one had anything negative to say ("This thing has no bottom end" by a 400 pound ex A rider... I'm sure it didn't with the Red spring, porting, and 220 pounds of extra weight..plus he is the type of dude who likes to shoot down anything he can, especially if it's better than his). People haven't just been like, "Yeah, nice bike"... like you normally do when you ride someone's bike and are just being nice. No, they come off the track excited and with eyes wide open. "MAN, THIS THING IS AWESOME!" It usually takes me awhile to even get them to pull over. I'm always the one saying yeah, nice bike, trying ridiculously hard to think of something nice to say about theirs, let alone something I liked better on theirs (have come up with, generally, 250f, "hooks up well" (aka SLOW), 450 "lots of torque", other 250T "good midrange") but nothing has even come close to the SX. It's sad to watch their walk of shame back to their scoot, obviously wishing it was something different. We racers are all proud of our bikes though, so it's funny to hear them say how my bike is better handling, running, jumping, sounding, looking, etc... but just can't bring themselves to say that the sx is better than their bike

I even traded for 15 minutes or so with someone who just got a brand new 2011 yz250 two stroke. His forks were a bit more plush but not much, his engine had more midrange (not much and bet my bike could run like the Yam with a different PV spring installed) and is quite linear with far less top end and far less overall power, front end felt twitchy (actually, only crash of the day was during the 3 laps on his bike thanks to the front end going nuts on me), controls weren't as nice, basically... thanks but no thanks when compared to the SX. This guy is just one who tried buying the KTM after his ride on it. "You just think it's out of power, but if you ignore your senses and keep it pinned a little longer, it'll show you it wasn't even awake yet!"
He like many others didn't really decide to realize how his 3 year newer YZ got smoked by the KTM. The KTM is more current than any other two stroke regardless of its "model year".. Let's look at every part on both bikes and see whats been developed or changed most lately here instead. I think that if Honda would have continued to develop it's case reed engine, it could be close to where the KTM is. They were just figuring it out when they stopped developing it. Yamaha is still going, but KTM is still developing when it comes to the two strokes. For now.

The KTM is so agressive and absolutely SCREAMS on top, yet strangely goes about it in a smooth and almost electric like way. The suspension works just like I want it to ( keeping this stuff fresh and properly tuned seems to be the most important thing, if you have a ktm with old fork oil or leaky seals, do a rebuild. trust me. KTM's stock stuff is very very good if you know what you're doing with it), the clutch is the easiest clutch to pull ever (always causes jealousy ), and love the Brembo clutch over even the Magura on most KTMs, brakes are excellent, and I just really can not think of anything that I don't like about the bike except for having to closely watch over bolts, thanks to the two stroke vibes, and the seat (EE seat now). Same bolts are always the ones loosening , which makes it easy after a little while (for me, it's the shift lever, kickstart, shock, and rear axle), plus that stuff is supposed to be gone through frequently anyways . After each day of riding or each race, it gets a clean filter, all rust possible spots are wd-40'd, chain relubed, pipe shined, bolts checked, plug checked, wheels checked, fluids checked with brake fluid, susp. and tranny oil changed regularly)..

I've always been able to find lots of things I haven't liked and I have no problem complaining about my own bikes.. The 450sx-f was fast but had no abruptness or hit to me, the kx450f felt like a fat although fast heavy pig, etc... But the 250sx is the cat's pajamas. Oh, I have to do this thing called mix gas where I use a cup called a ratio rite and have to get a bottle of oil sometimes. Damn pain in the ace two strokes.

I work for a dealer, and this bike isn't supported by them. A lot of times it sits in the back of the shop just because if I leave it there, I get the use of the shop, shops chemicals, etc.. More customers ask about it than any other dirt bike in the place! It gets started and cleared out daily just because someone wants to hear it run. It makes believers! I enjoy getting it off the stand very leisurely climbing on and unexpectedly starting it to a roaring life with .5 of a kick. It definitely shows who is jumpy. lol. This is also how I learned that instead of saying not for sale, its easiest just to say a very very high price.

So what's the point from all this rambling? The 250sx is an amazing machine. It has brought my fun back (and a lot of old dude's spirit back along fences everywhere) and not hurt my results at all (it's been on top of both 450 and 250a numerous times this year) and hasn't given me any issues besides the fact that I have to keep an eye on a few bolts that always loosen.. Even if it does though it's like who cares after being on four strokes for awhile. I almost WANT it to blow up just because I feel like I should be doing some sort of work to the engine! I love this bike. What will I get next? Another 250sx. A new one! If you're thinking of switching back and there is even the smallest sense of "man, those two strokes used to be fun.".... well, wake up and smell the premix, and GO GET ONE! I feel like a motocross rider again after a 4 year hiatus.

And yes I know I have overloaded pictures and that I will probably get in trouble, but until then, here they stay

BRAAP!

Should check this about An old guys experience from new 450 to old two stroke...two strokes then vs four strokes now.
Willy Musgrave's story of 2010 450 to 2001 250 on MXA's website

Back