Need Some Ideas for SLEEP.

TCracing

PR Addict
Anybody have any Ideas on how to get sleep, when you are in pain? Any ideas would be helpful. Chronic back and spinal pain?

Anybody have any Ideas on how to get sleep, when you are in pain? Any ideas would be helpful. Chronic back and spinal pain?

Try a heating pad. Hot shower before bed. Ask your dr about Ibuprophen 600. If that doesn't give you relief then I would ask dr about lidoderm patches.

Ha, got the same problem. My arms were broke 10 weeks ago. I normally sleep on my side but cant since they were both broken. The only way for me to sleep is on my back. I havent gotten more than 5 hrs of sleep a night for 10 weeks now. The only thing that helped was percocet. A little drastic for chronic back pain though. The ibuprophen and advil pm doesnt help me. When you figure something out let us know !

I would try the ibuprophen Pm but be carefull its a slippery slope. I have had insomnia on and off for over 10 years and also suffer from severe back pain also on and off. After a while the over the counter stuff doesn't work and then its onto ambian or lunesta. Now I can't sleep without them. Went to my sleep doctor last week and I have trained my body to need this or I don't sleep. And on top of that I still don't sleep good most nights. I feel your pain. And Hershey I too used to sleep on my side until I broke my scapula and ribs and was forced to sleep on my back, now I can't sleep on my side.

The only way I could get any type of sleep immediately after injury was to take painkillers about an hour before bed. I was prescribed ambien as well but that stuff is kind of scary.

Something was pinching a nerve that sent pain from the lower back all the way down to my left foot. I had to use crutches for a few days when it got really bad. My Dr. told me I had/have a slipped disc. He recommended surgery of course but I settled for Vicodin and some antinflamatory drugs (I'd have to look up the name). I've tried all pain medications. Obviously morphine is the best. Vicodin is the best take home. Pain medication just masks the problem for a few hours, the antinflam actually made the pain go away for a few weeks but it would come back. I could still ride but I needed a very uncomfortable kidney belt wrapped real tight.

What really solved the problem was p90x, specifically the stretching parts. My hamstrings were so tight I could barely touch my knees. Now I can get my palms to the ground legs straight and haven't had a back problem since. No more pain, no surgery, no more drugs, no more kidney belt. I don't know your injuries but maybe this will help you or others with chronic back pain.

Chuck

I've had back and neck pain since I was 12. I havent had more than 2-3 hours of interrupted sleep in a row for years and am in constant pain but live with it. Here is what works for me:

1. Regular visits to a COMPETENT chiropractor for "tune ups" aid pain relief greatly. (My wife is a nurse and thought they were quacks until she went. She goes once every month or 2 now).
2. Exercise and stretching increase mobility and greatly decreases pain. hiking, cycling and swimming provide the best low impact exercise for me.
3. The best improvement to sleep however has been my bed. Just got a Temperpedic bed and pillows about 4 months ago. I am regularly getting 3-4 hours of non stop sleep. I still wake up 5-10 times a night...but the sleep has been greatly improved with this bed.

Pain medications are just a band-aid for the actual cause of the pain and do nothing to eliminate it long term. My pain is from arthritis and bone spurs along my lower back and neck area. These cannot be easily removed but the pressure points from a normal bed exaggerate the pain. This new bed helps to even out the pressure points and support my body evenly regardless of the position I am in.

Just my 2 cents...

I had a lower back pinched nerve. Reagravated it at Meadowlarks...anyhow ..... went to a chiropractor and he worked miracles for me. Now I can bend over again and have little to no back pain. I use Ibuprophen if I do get aches to get sleep.

Yea sleeping pills should be a last ditch effort. I wouldnt recommend those at all.

Another thing that works well is going to bed and waking at the same time everyday. It really helps out if you can dedicate the night for sleep. Also avoid naps best you can.

My company sells mattresses including Tempurpedic, PM me if interested. Best way to improve your sleep.

Thanks for the Ideas

Great Ideas, Thanks. At least others can relate. Pain and Sleep deprivation has impaired my life drastically.
Unable to use the Ibuprofen or the like, Tried the chiropractor it helped (spinal decompression Therapy) Insurance won't cover it. Already had the Lidocaine patches. Then to the Butrans patches (which actually allowed me to start getting normal sleep and function a little more) then came the Reaction ( Lucky me! I am one of the few who started getting burns at the contact point) from the patch (allergic reaction) Got four nice Branding marks now. So stopped using them about two weeks ago. Now I'm about to slap another one on just to try and get some sleep this PM. Some trade HUH!
Back to the Doc. Hope he has something similar to the patch I just had. Only thing that came close to allowing normal nights sleep for a while.
Thanks for the ideas. Any more ideas??? I am still listening.

I did 30 decompression sessions too at $50 a pop. Save your money. However the whole time they kept recommending stretching and I kinda laughed it off as something you tell old people, kinda like water aerobics.

I know popping a pill or wearing a patch is easier but it only masks the problem and look at the side effects you're having. A solution might take some work. It'll feel gay at first but do yourself a favor and try two weeks of Yoga. Just buy a $10 video. It takes more strength and discipline than anything you'll ever do. Worst case you strengthen your core a bit & stretch everything out, best case you won't have any more back pain.

Not sure if you tried masotherapy, but i would give that a try. My sister use to run cross country and had lower back pain that pretty much put her on the sideline. After physical therapy and a few trips to the dr. she finally tried getting the message. Her butt, lower back and hamstrings were so tight, it was causing her pain in her lower back. This along with stretching may help. Not sure if it's a solution, but an idea to try.

Kinda like the Melatonin

The Melatonin Couldn't hurt. Feel like I have jet lag most of the week. I kinda liked the Decompression stuff seemed to work almost for the 30 minute drive home. Enough releif that I bought an Inversion table. It helps except my head feels like its gonna explode due to blood rush, and kills your ankles, Still small price to pay I guess. but not as good as the decomp. therapy for me. IMO
Melatonin doesn't due anything for the pain but if you get some sleep that's half the battle.

Nothing works, it's 4 A.M. and only had about 3.5 hrs sleep, I give up!!!
Where can you get a back transplant???

Back