Some neck brace testing, finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
http://www.youtube.com/watch?<wbr>v=XZizwrRdCw8

Not to beat the horse, but at least there are people running some tests on these things.
Leatt claims the strut breaks at 45psi. This shows it breaking at 35.5kg which is 77psi, almost double. Faulty neck brace? Or does the brace really not break at 45 psi. And without testing how do we know as consumers without breaking a 700 dollar brace ourselves that it actually does what it is claimed to do?

Lets be civil about this. Opinions from both sides always welcome. What's your opinion?

After seeing people breaking their backs at about the sternum and breaking collar bone after collar bone myself I sold my leatt. The thing was tough, much tougher than my bones.

After seeing people breaking their backs at about the sternum and breaking collar bone after collar bone myself I sold my leatt. The thing was tough, much tougher than my bones.

A collar bone is nothing compared to a broken neck. Nothing is perfect in this sport but I believe the leatte does its job.

I think I'm doing a good job at ignoring your oh so unsubtle stabs. Give it up. Stick to the topic. Did you even watch the video ?

but your so good at it. My son will not practice or race without his brace,
which one? because i cant be sure but it looks like brandon is wearing a donut roll. not a neckbrace.
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FjItUAHB_cM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A collar bone is nothing compared to a broken neck. Nothing is perfect in this sport but I believe the leatte does its job.

I would rather break my neck and die than break my back. If I die, well heck, I don't have anything else to worry about.

DR. Leatt was on DMXS talking all about it and I couldn`t stand listening anymore and had to shut it off. I think the neck braces are the worst thing to be developed for motocross. Remember Andrew Mcfarlane?.....enough said.

which one? because i cant be sure but it looks like brandon is wearing a donut roll. not a neckbrace.
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FjItUAHB_cM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is my younger son and he dont have one I was talking about Scottie and its his choice on wearing it I do not force him. But I do believe they save more than they hurt.

but your so good at it. My son will not practice or race without his brace,

Son or sons?? You say this then you come right back and say it's his choice. Anyone else confused by this? And pit bans people on his own accord it's not me or Hershey or anyone else ripping apart pits ear to get you banned. You do it yourself. Something you can't grasp. You create your own problems on this board Scott.

Son or sons?? You say this then you come right back and say it's his choice. Anyone else confused by this? And pit bans people on his own accord it's not me or Hershey or anyone else ripping apart pits ear to get you banned. You do it yourself. Something you can't grasp. You create your own problems on this board Scott.

I have 2 sons 1 has a roll and the other one has the brace. Show me what I posted to get you all worked up? If it was because I said "your good at it" then man you need thicker skin. Il bail out of this thread now because since I have a rider that wears the brace there is nothing I could bring to this thread. So sorry for hurting your feelings George I really dont know whatelse to say.

You could of brought your opinion on the test showed in the video and not turned this into you being the center of attention. You didn't stay anywhere close to the topic.

On Topic, I wear one because I think it might help me from death in a catastrophic crash, and I'd rather be in a chair alive being able to watch my kids grow up and see their lives than dead. I'll take the chance of paralyzation over death due to the neck brace.

I make my son wear one for the same reason......... I'd rather have him be alive in a chair and still be around than dead if it came to that. Look at Mitch Payton, he's accomplished more than all of us on this board from his chair than we have from our working bodies.

That's where I am on this subject........... and load transfer is fine with me, I think my neck is more fragile than my sternum / spine. Transfer that load through more places the better in my book. The same reason I wear knee braces......... I have bad knees that have been surgically repaired many times and wish that I had knee braces on my whole life now that my knees are bad.......... as soon as my son is big enough to have knee braces, he'll have those too.

This is my younger son and he dont have one I was talking about Scottie and its his choice on wearing it I do not force him. But I do believe they save more than they hurt.
then what was the point of the intial post? then saying you believe in the leatt and broken collarbones are better than a broken neck but only have 1 kid wearing one? im confused.

Here are my thoughts:

As I have mentioned before, 44 PSI is a pressure. 35 kg is not a pressure. I assume they did the appropriate measurements and calculations to take that linear force into a stress at the base, but they don't show that. Did they do this correctly?

Secondly, you can see the brace deflects almost immediately. To say that it didn't break right away, thereforce it didn't work, isn't necessarily true.

Just my opinions. You guys definitely have got me thinking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back