Favorite Moto Memories...

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to race at a little track in Central California called "Little Oakie" it was always well attended and Central Cali pros like George Holland and Danny Magoo Chandler would show up. Magoo would always go out of his way to socialize and be friendly with folks and would even put in time on the tractor to prep the track. I'd seen Magoo ride at a number of California track and he always put on a great show and was the guy to watch due to the moves he'd pull. The grandstands at Litttle Oakie sat next to the longest straight on the track, and that straight had one big single jump right in front of the bleachers. When Magoo came out for the pro race on his Maico he had the holeshot and by the end of the first lap had a big enough lead that he started show boating. On about the 3rd lap he came around to hit the single in front of the bleachers and instead of hitting the jump where you'd normally hit it, he was coming down the far inside line and almost off the track as he approached the jump. There was a collective gasp from the crowd as he hit a bunch of residue dirt laying on the edge of the jump that was steeper and built up more then the rest of the jump. I thought he had somehow screwed up as he had twice the height that he had been getting, but then it became clear he knew what he was doing as he got his bike layed over sideways and then took both hands of the bars and crossed them over his chest while the bike was crossed up and layed over. He continued to hit that same spot for the remaining laps and the crowd was going nuts. After the race there was a crowd of people in his pits slapping him on the back and he was all smiles laughing it up.

I realize Magoo's crossed up move with his arms across his chest seems tame in comparison to what goes on these days but for that time it was amazing to see, especially in this situation where Magoo was hitting a pile of residue dirt that he hadn't even rolled over much less launched off of.

dang mooch, you described that so well I felt like I was there ha ha.

I'm going back to early-mid 90's Kenworthy's on this. First guy always out for practice, GUY COOPER! Track was super sloppy, and I've never heard a zook 125 punished so severely. That out of, but in control style. Poetry in motion I say, and of course factory tuned 2 smoker, goes without saying....

Trent...nice job of getting through my long winded story!

I have a bunch of favorites related to RC as I'm a huge RC fan and a good one that comes to mind is the 2005 Anaheim SX. It had been raining for a few days already leading up to the race and was raining on and off the day of the race. We stocked up on rain gear and were ready for a mudder!

RC edged Stewart out for the holeshot in the main and proceed to put a whoopin on everyone. The track was a quagmire mess and RC was still doing all the jumps on the track and I believe he eventually was the only rider who continued to do the biggest triple on the track that had a short run up to the jump from a 180 corner right before the triple. Every time he'd triple that thing people were talking about what an animal he was...it was impressive! So impressive in fact that I pulled out my cell phone to call Mosher (who's in Ohio at the time... and a pitracer member) to share my enthusiasm with him. Only problem was, I made the mistake of forgetting about the 3 hour time difference, so while it may have been 9:45 on the west coast it was, well, quite a bit later in Ohio. It didn't help that I had called Mosher's home number rather than his cell and that his wife and kids had been in bed for awhile. Needless to say, he wasn't so impressed with my late night call to blabber on about what a stud RC was!

Back