Smith Road Year End Finale

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
Man what a fun day at Smtih Road Raceway. I thought it was a good crowd. Thanks to Pit Racer John for coming out and hope Rocket Rob is not to sore after a scary crash. I enjoyed all the racing. My son did a good job,won two motos. Vet classes were great. Good hole shot Jim Benko and good riding Dave Blauman in the old timers class. George was congratulated several times including a cake cutting ceremony at intermission. Someone made a really cool wooden trophy which every one was allowed to sign, nice touch. After the race the gate was filled with bikes and riders thanking George for his hard work. I hope some of those pictures make it out. The new owner was introduced and welcomed with a round of applause. The weather held out and made for a fun day. Thanks to all those that helped make it a great day. Josh Leach was probably the fastest rider of the day but didn't stay up to win all his motos, nice ride 91 and 28. Thanks to all my racing family for making it a special day. Good job Gateman Greg for running things today, went real smooth.

Talk about PERFECT weather for a day or racing, and best track conditions I've seen there in ages! Had to be devine intervention. There was a really large turnout today, including 24 trike racers from OTC to honor the man who wanted us at his track before it was fashionable. I'll be editing tons of pictures and video. Thanks George, and your awesome loyal staff for all you have done for the sport of motocross.

I'm editing my videos too. I got the some of the SR II first moto and the entire second moto I will be posting here in a bit, plus other races, a ton of Geo footage among other stuff. That was a great time for sure.

Yep, great time! My first race at Smith was on a 1982 RM125 and my last race there under George's ownership was on a 2006 RM125.

I mainly came out Monday to support George in his farewell race, and ended up having some of the most fun racing I've had in a long, long time. The track layout was fast and so much fun, big sweeping corners, total blast. A little slick in the morning but after a few motos was perfect. The pit-bike race was unbelievably fun, first time I've ever entered a pit-bike race.

What a way to end an era. Racing was done about 3pm and much of the crowd just stayed and hung out. Looked like most people were in no hurry to leave, pits still 2/3 full with everyone just hanging out. I'm so glad I decided to race, what a blast.

And explain this to me -- I've raced this year running 3 classes at LL Regionals at Millville, High Point, Red Bud, etc and don't get sore, but I race two classes at Smith yesterday and I can barely move today!

Nerves from the pressure of the "big race".
Those other races meant nothing. this was the big one.

Pitracer, That's what happens when there is a DQ challenge on the line and you are setting up for bragging rights over the whole winter vs Tony C in the Pitbike class. Unfortunately, both of your big challenges ended in defeat (one was my fault in the DQ challenge) and now you will have to bear the brunt of the losing end of the conversation until we can get a rematch.

I was OK after my brief trip to the ambulance. Cuts on my ribs, neck, face and forehead, and big knot and bruise on my forehead, super sore ribs and sore thumb..... but not enough to keep me from my last moto. Back on the line for one last hurrah under George's ownership. I believe my first race at Georges was on my 1985 KTM 125 and my last race at George's was on my 2007 KTM 125 (done up in Husaberg Graphics) so I too was feeling a little nostalgic at the races. Great to see so many old faces at the track and thank you George for all your wonderful years of offering us a place to ride.

I was more tired after that 4 lap pit-bike race in chilly weather than I was after a 20 minute practice in the heat at LL!

Haha! I was thinking that the guys let me win, cuz they KNEW I wanted to take home one of those trophies they were handing out rather than the plaques I have from Smith. And Marc... I wish! I'm not cut out for big bikes...haha!

I was thinking that the last coupla years or more, we all kinda had cases of the "Wizard of Oz" syndrome. We kinda wanted to go and ride anyplace BUT Smith Rd. for whatever reason, even though it's in our own backyards. With the prospect of losing the spot as a riding option due to Georges retirement-- we recognize what we have right up the road.

I've ridden at alotta places, and I've never been able to go to a race-- and know three quarters of the riders in most of the races, or been able to line up to race a just-for-fun race against a guy I've known since second grade, my old HS bud, and another riding bud I've known for 20 years. I hope Smith Rd. will be around another 40 years, and that I'll be around to see it. Hopefully we won't repeat that Oz syndrome again. --Tony C.

Not your typical Muddy, rutted, tight and technical Smith Rd. track. Was more like a TT/MX hybrid, fast and fun. I had a blast also. George was all smiles as usual but seemed to have that extra twinkle of the eye knowing his work is complete. The end of an era. Kinda bittersweet. Look forward to supporting Larry and his family for many years to come.
and Rocket, I missed the fight.... " Cuts on my ribs, neck, face and forehead, and big knot and bruise on my forehead, super sore ribs and sore thumb....." Holy kaw!
WTH happened???

and Rocket, I missed the fight.... " Cuts on my ribs, neck, face and forehead, and big knot and bruise on my forehead, super sore ribs and sore thumb....." Holy kaw!
WTH happened???

Just your typical first turn pile up with me at the bottom of the pile providing traction and speed bumps for the rest of the class........ but I do look / feel like I just got out of a really good UFC fight!

Just your typical first turn pile up with me at the bottom of the pile providing traction and speed bumps for the rest of the class........ but I do look / feel like I just got out of a really good UFC fight!

Post a pic of ur mug! Lets see!

IMG00756-20110905-1739.jpg

My son was involved in first turn pile-up also... run over at least once!
Pretty knarly, looks like maybe a new Metzler???

I got the same treatment last Labor day in the same exact spot. I have always thought that corner funnels in a bit much...
Perhaps Larry could address that and make the entry a bit wider and safer.

Here is the big race in question, Senior II second Moto Smith Road Raceway. Very amateur video, sorry.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4P6aQqHYgU?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the link in case the embedded version above doesn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4P6aQqHYgU

Here is the big race in question, Senior II second Moto Smith Road Raceway. Very amateur video, sorry.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4P6aQqHYgU?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the link in case the embedded version above doesn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4P6aQqHYgU

Hey RIZ...Thanks for another job well done.
I tried to be the first one across the finish line for the big Flag finish.
but the pit bike class was just too far out of my league.
Was fun, hope you are in for next year.

I don't know if I will be back or not. That friggin' Greg was bustin' my balls all day. It's like this track has run smoothly for the most part for 39 years, then this knucklehead gets promoted from the front gate to whatever his title is, head ball buster, and now he's trying to change things on the fly without any forethought or experience. Like the time last race when he tried telling me how to flag a delayed start. If that guy is back in the same capacity, which I don't know what his job really was, then I'm done for sure. He said he wants to be the flag guy, good, let em. he's a friggin' loser in my books. I don't care if he reads this, or if I ever see him again, which will be way too soon. Besides, I was there for George. I do like Larry from what I have spoken to him but I am not going to spend my holidays being bossed around by a loud mouthed idiot (Greg T.) that thinks he just invented motocross at Smith Road Raceway.

Buy the way, I try to give everyone the big flag finish, if they give me something to flag, like a wheelie, roosting, or even trying to take me out. I love all those scenario's.

..."Buy the way, I try to give everyone the big flag finish, if they give me something to flag, like a wheelie, roosting, or even trying to take me out. I love all those scenario's.'

Yo, Riz, how 'bout that photo finish in the 125 class? I think you were flagging in between us as I was wheelieing over the tires and where you normally flag...sorry...lol

Awwww, so you were 111. I almost got run over 3 times that day. Your race was close, you guys split me apart, one on each side. The tough one was the three wheeler that tumbled toward me. It went left, then right, then left, then somehow the dude righted it and jumped back on and made the turn. I was one second from diving over the fence and potentially into the creek. Your race was quite interesting as well. i couldn't tell who came across the line first since I was trying to get out of the way. Its not my call, it's the score keepers that make that call, and I wasn't sure. Your tire mark was interesting though, kept me on my feet the rest of the day. And my buddy Smoke (858), he nearly ran me down. Hadn't seen me in a while so I guess he decided to say "Hi." I was standin' there talking to someone with my back to the track, felt a breeze and he was parked right behind me. That was a close one too! It's a dangerous job, then have an idiot barking orders at you all day... tough being the flag man.

Back