KX500 Vid

How many on here have ever ridden a 2-stroke 500? They are beasts....

Nope, never seen one! :D

41840-406%20start%20crop.jpg

I raced that exact model in 1992 at Kenworthys trying to qualify for a national. Didn't have to work as hard as I did on my 125's, but it spit me off in one of my qualifiers like I was on a snorting pissed off bull.

I rode some really fat guys' CR500 before-- but I didn't like it at all. I wasn't trying to gas the thing in first or second gears. Even third was really scary! Hell-- just the vibration it made was scary. I've always thought about what could come of a CR500 powered RS125, or Moriwaki road racer though. It would be a high side machine for sure.

Pit-- I've seen an LT500 quadzilla motor in an RM250 before. You could prolly get it into that '92 RM125 chassis you got-- haha! There IS a reason that Suzuki stopped making those things. --L*64

Had a `95 CR500 till `03 when I got rid of it to get my`03 CRF450.That(all??!!) five hundo was insane.Threw me to the ground so quick and so hard too many times,with absolutely no warning whatsoever.Going to the 4 stroker was the best thing I ever did.Yeah,b*t*h all you want about the 4 strokes but I happen to like them very much!Like the tractor power! :) The 500 had some serious torque but once it got on the pipe LOOK out!! Vibrated like a jackhammer. :eek: Didn`t really handle very well.Sometimes I miss that bike,but not too often.
Was a great moto,nonetheless,never had any issues with it,ran great,1or2 topends, maybe!?
:D DO NOT ever,EVER get behind one unless you like someone throwing softballs at you full blast!! :eek: :D
Always wondered what a Service Honda 500 would be like and would like to take one for a spin, but just way too expensive new.

i had an 87 kx500 rode it at smith rd a couple of times was'nt much fun there! i bought it for trail riding & hill climbing at which it was great ! just point it at a hill and pull the trigger!!!!!!

i had an 87 kx500 rode it at smith rd a couple of times was'nt much fun there! i bought it for trail riding & hill climbing at which it was great ! just point it at a hill and pull the trigger!!!!!!

Yea,same here. Was a riot in a straight line for sure!

Perfect track for that bike. Wide n loamy...scrubbing a bit too! Gotta love that classic squeak on the front brake ...lol

I had an '85 KX500, was truly a beast. Thought I'd like one since I grew up on open bikes, but it was far more machine than my early rides.

Had a 89 cr 500 for a few weeks way back in the day... way to much motor.... remember just putting it in 3rd and never shifting.... kind of wish i still had it now...

I've had 500's mostly my whole life. In fact I'm trying to get rid of my '03 YZ450F and get another. Love them!
Here's my last KX I Had, a '99
Dirtbike4.jpg

My H.O.T. '92 CR500. this was Eric Keho's National bike.
Dad_1.jpg

My last 500. a CR500AF I built myself
PICT1266.jpg

I had a '98 CR500 for about 8 years. Loved the bike. Had an '83 490 Maico and '86 500 M-Star before that so had been riding them for awhile. I felt I was getting a little long in the tooth for a 500 so scaled back to a CR250 in 2006. 500's are great bikes. They can easliy run with or beat in 450's in most cases. They are a bit more tiring to ride but there is nothing to equal the adrenaline rush when you crack the throttle on one of them and hold it open!!

I've had 500's mostly my whole life. In fact I'm trying to get rid of my '03 YZ450F and get another. Love them!
Here's my last KX I Had, a '99
Dirtbike4.jpg

My H.O.T. '92 CR500. this was Eric Keho's National bike.

If I'm not mistaking.......................At Honda Hills.
Love that!

still have my 99 KX 500 and it runs as strong as it did they day I got it. I'll never get rid o this bike. Anyone who hasnt ridden one truly has missed out. I'd love to find a nice CR 500 and WR 500 also.

Just got to watch the whole video. The things I noticed are how, even though he is a very good rider, you'll notice how quickly he could come up on and pass other riders. A 500 is a very good bike under the right rider. Also, notice how he wasn't on the throttle as much as say a 450. You never saw him give it long bursts of throttle. Even to accelerate, it doesn't take much because it happens so quickly. One thing you can't do is actually feel the pull of the thing. It does want to literally pull arms out of their sockets. That's why you get tired so fast, just trying to hold on. You guys want to get faster, buy one of these and practice on it, and 450 will seem like a 125.

I will second the above comments. My KX is the only bike that I've found that I can actually feel accelerating with some authority. Being 300 lbs, a 125 and 250 just didnt cut it. The KX is very smooth, but things do happen fast. Yes your arms do get tired quicker than a smaller bike but holding with your legs more helps a ton. You cant beat that sound, you can just hear the power.

so did a guy on pitracer build a 500 into a 2011 crf 450 chassis? Or was that a 250cc ? I can't find that thread, maybe i'm not looking hard enough but I vividly remember drooling over that bike.

Back