Bc 10-15, 10-16

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
We will be open for practice this weekend, pitbike race on Saturday, but all tracks will be business as usual. We will only be usuing the pitbike track area after 3:00 on Saturday only. So you can even ride that track up till 3:00. So, you can ride the big track, C track, Beg. peewee track, and trails all day just like every other day. So, its a normal open ride weekend, with a snippet of pitbike racing. Got it?

And yes, there was confusion last time.

If the weather cooperates, we will be having 80 yds of sawdust delivered on friday, as if we couldnt make BC anynore ridiculous....well....wrong again. Just a semi load to try in a few sections, if we like it, there will be plenty more hauled in later.

1024px-Seaspan_tug_towing_seaspan_barges_full_of_sawdust_-b.jpg

Bring it!
Pleasure Valley would use wood chips (like planer shavings) and that worked out well.
Which sections are you thinking about?

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." - Confucius

In other words: 'Once you go, then you'll know" -Sharc

Not wood chips, saw dust. Big difference. We have been ruining it by riding on it since 2005.

Would this be when a 3 point tractor driven tiller be usefull?

Looking up and reading a couple articals on sawdusted motocross dirt, over time breaks down into a really nice dark and rich track material.

I have visions of perfection at Briarcliff.

Tiller, or just make it easier to plow. Hopefully it will change my mind about selling the kubota, or eliminating a couple tracks.

Beans has put down a lot of sawdust over the years, made it really nice. But it does go away, need to keep adding.

BC has pretty nice dirt but a couple sections loaded with sawdust would be fun!

As long as you dont over do it ! I have ridden on some tracks that have put too much down and it turns out like riding on a spongue

Its gonna be trial and error, I plan to chisel those sections, and push it in with the dozer @ 6-8" at time, then disc it together. I plan to leave some in piles near those sections, so I can add some more the next time. Its mainly gonna be in the front areas, after the uphill triple, after the finishline, and before the waller to start.

The way the weather is looking, it doesnt look promising to get it delivered tomorrow.

No sawdust till Monday, schedule conflicts and all, but we will have worked in for the next ride on the 29th. And I'm sure I will find time to test it out........Perks of the job and such.

Tiller, or just make it easier to plow. Hopefully it will change my mind about selling the kubota, or eliminating a couple tracks.

I would think it would allow the dirt to hold moisture I bit better and not clump so much. Could be wrong. Happened before a time or two. Probably just need to eliminate people that are busy all the time and/or break shtuff out there. Either that or collect for damages. Maybe not....

Track changes with ease of prep in mind as well may be of benefit. Not always fun for the rider though....

That said, wish I saw a near future date of being out there to ride, but is looking more like a winter in the gym and possibly a hopeful early good start next spring.

Later JO. Stay cool...

BTW- The 'bota not giving you what you want or expected still? Bummer...

I can get what i want with the Kubota, it just takes a super long time. I think the dirt being clumpy is a big part of the problem. Most of the riders dont realize the process BC goes through to get to that primo level. We need the dirt to break up into smaller clumps, and level out easier. This will save us allot of time and money, and make it easier on us mentally. Holding the moisture better is just an added bonus. Although I dont want it too be too much of a sponge, there are times that you dont want too much moisture either.

In my opinion the tiller seems like a great idea but... in reality... for a track that has this size of a turn out you should leave the tiller in the garden shed.

In my experience (I have prepped small tracks, big tracks, and just one turn at a time for practice) the tiller is great for the top 3 to 5 inches (nothing better as long as the dirt has the correct amount of moisture) and when there are not a lot of bikes about to displace the top 3 to 5 inches, but when it's dry, it leaves you with baby powder on top of hard pack. (perfect for a 4 wheeler) When there is not a lot of bikes, the tiller is a great idea, quick and easy.

Every track, track owner, and rider have their ideal prep method and out come in mind and in spirit. Every rider has their ideal prep for their perfect traction and every track owner will tell you those opinions vary drastically. The track owner that preps for the widest range of opinions will have the best success.

The saw dust is a good idea but don't discount sand if you have access to it. One can add just enough sand to allow the dirt to rip up easily, allow the moisture to penetrate deeply and not act like you are on a sand track. The sand actually creates space and surface area in the dirt for easier prep and longer moisture retention.

Have you seen what happens to the first turn at high point when it's hot, they don't water enough, and they run the tiller on it? Turns to baby powder like and no grooves for traction. Then they run the clump buster over the one berm that does form (creating more powder) so the next start doesn't need to deal with it entering the first turn. I applaud them for solving a dangerous situation on the start but I think it could be done better, say with a ripper and a smoothing bar. Then you would have lines develop the first lap.

Have you seen what happens to the first turn at high point when it's hot, they don't water enough, and they run the tiller on it? Turns to baby powder like and no grooves for traction. Then they run the clump buster over the one berm that does form (creating more powder) so the next start doesn't need to deal with it entering the first turn. I applaud them for solving a dangerous situation on the start but I think it could be done better, say with a ripper and a smoothing bar. Then you would have lines develop the first lap.

Yes, sir!... know exactly the dust pile at High Point that you are describing. That turn had nice lines in practice only to become a skating rink after over-prep. <O:p</O:p

Back