Pros and Cons To moving up?

#23_Racing

PR Addict
I have had a few talks with my son and we both are thinking about moving him up to A class but just alot of questions come up on weather this is the right time to do it or not. We are looking past LL and are choosing not to chase that dream any longer if it happens it happens. Right now he is racing as a 14 year old and im not to sure on if there is a A class age limit. At this point we want to get the most out of his racing and if thats means running the A class then we are in. Would like to hear some pros and cons on making a move like that at this age, he is 15 but like I said with a April b-day he is AMA 14.

Got all the time in the world to move up, much easier to move up than down. You will know when the time is right. I would wait until your bored from not having competition. As long as the racing is still fun, then why move up?

He needs to stay in the "B" class Scotty. Just my opinion. Like stated, much easier to move up than back down. I believe there is an age requirement also. I could be wrong.

True, I would love to watch him win races in the B class but he told me even if I get beat alot in the A class, Im still racing the fastest guys at the track. It seems like he wants it more than I do. Its just a hard thing to do.

sounds pretty damn good. I moved up when i was 15, it was definitely pretty crazy at first. I just did it because i had to start paying for it myself and i wanted to try and get my money back or else i would've stayed in B. I got my ass kicked for about the first half of the year and then started to figure it out. The biggest difference is in A class, its wide open from the time of the gate drop to checkered flag. No one really slows down at all from getting tired. And since its racing for money, people are WAY more aggressive. One of the best things about moving up though is that youre riding with better riders which in turn makes you a better rider. Just make sure your son is ready cause you cant undo it once you make the jump. I wouldn't really recommend moving up so early, if i could do it again, i would've waited another year. but thats just me.

If you have to ask then that's your answer.
I wouldn't get in a hurry, as Bcliff said enjoy, and when he is flat out dominating and no longer challenged then you'll know its time maybe till 16yrs old.
My 2 cents!

just stay in B. No need to get to a class that quick. Especially just coming out of c the same year

B class nationally is more competiive than A at lorettas. You'll get way more valuable experience running B.

I moved from B to A when I was 18 with one goal in mind, qualifying for a national. Prior to that, I was in B class in CRA and was near the top week in and out. Within in a year of making the A class jump locally, I had enough events and good finishes to get my pro license and started traveling to make it happen. Local A class seemed to have low numbers and going to large events generally makes you realize just how small of a fish you are in the big picture.

Now as a Vet rider at almost 40, and after making Loretta Lynns 2 years ago and my son making it last year on a 50cc, I would at least give Lorettas a chance before making the move. I feel like I missed a piece of racing, by making the move to A so fast. Lorettas is not only a gauge at just how your son stacks up, but is a really really great time. Good luck.

I would suggest you stay back for a couple of years.

I moved from B to A when I was 18 with one goal in mind, qualifying for a national. Prior to that, I was in B class in CRA and was near the top week in and out. Within in a year of making the A class jump locally, I had enough events and good finishes to get my pro license and started traveling to make it happen. Local A class seemed to have low numbers and going to large events generally makes you realize just how small of a fish you are in the big picture.

Now as a Vet rider at almost 40, and after making Loretta Lynns 2 years ago and my son making it last year on a 50cc, I would at least give Lorettas a chance before making the move. I feel like I missed a piece of racing, by making the move to A so fast. Lorettas is not only a gauge at just how your son stacks up, but is a really really great time. Good luck.

I would suggest you stay back for a couple of years.

well put.

Scott, I have to agree with Vince also. CRA in my opinion is pretty weak compared to some of the AMA races I've seen. Not taking anything away from guys like Kenny Henry and some of those fast guys that will compete with anyone anywhere. Scotty is a real good rider, but I don't think he's ready to compete at that level just yet. Give him at least another year to refine his skills then re-evaluate him at that time. My kids still racing B and I'm glad that he hasn't moved up. It's his choice and I'm perfectly ok with it. Just my opinion my friend!

My only regret racing as an amateur is that my dad and I rarely travelled to PA tracks that were AMA sanctioned. Those races had way more talent in their pool than the CRA talent pool had. Winning ALOT on an 80 and in the "B" classes racing CRA races was definately holding me back. That being said.....stay in "B" this year and get to those bigger AMA races where the talent level is top notch and there will also be more quality riders on the same gate as Scottie. I know he is fast, but he will have his hands full at the better quality races you guys go to. Not sayin you guys only race CRA, I'm suggesting you guys search out the best "B" class competition there is within 4-5hrs from you and stick your noses right in there! Gluck!
Jay

Don't forget about tracks here in the michigan area. The monster mash at baja acres is the last weekend in oct. Bring him up for that. That will be a good even ti gauge his speed also.

Scott I agree with Jay. You need to get Scottie out of the area. Nothing against the area racers but you have to race at different gates. Different talent pool will make him work harder.

I have to agree with mordecai, if you want a real gauge of speed you have to travel. I can say from experience that the talent at an event like the Monster Mash or the Baja Brawl is entirely different than what you encounter on a normal race weekend. Before making a decision to move up, it would be worth the trip to see how you compare in different regions.

Is there a rule somewhere that says that a "B" racer can't enter and race "A" class at local events? I know you can't drop a class, but can you go up? Even if you don't get credit, you are still competing with the faster class.

And in Hare Scrambles, B's are on the track at the same time as A's anyway.

i thought you had to be 16 to race A?
i agree with Jay as well. maybe wait till next spring, head over to a PA track and try a B race there. pleasure valley is a really fun track and pretty easy to get to. not too far from pittsburgh.

Back