This video is proof to me not to get a 4 stroke

I find it hard to believe it was staged, I think we just got lucky they happened to be filming. It would be pretty difficult to know for certain that motor is just a "few bounces" off the rev limiter away from spitting a rod through the cases.... not likely. Either way that is a heck of way to end the day.

If all of you guys stay off the rev limiter, they would last allot longer. I have a 08 450 and 06 250 four stroke never been apart Yamaha's they are.

Tom I am with you. I race my bikes hard and rev them pretty good. Change the oil (not every two rides), and the bike runs great still. Seems to me the guys that blow them, do different things to the motors to make them "faster" when they cant ride them to their max in stock condition. Take that money you spend on motors and do your suspension. That is a better spend and wont help shorten the life of your motor.

Well the engine is mechanical, after so long it's going to let go. I had a truckload of hours on my 250F. Had a 450F that I changed oil in every 2 times and at 50 hours the valves were right exactly where they were said to be in the manual when it was torn down. It never grenaded, I sold it and the guy that bought it off me has put 100 hours more on the original piston changing the oil like I told him every 2 rides.

You definitly have to take care of them, but when that 450 I sold grenades, he won't be fixing it for what he paid me for the bike ($2200).

I do notice alot of younger racers ride 4 strokes like they rode their 80s. Revved to the moon. SHIIIFFFFFTTTT!!!! 4 strokes don't make power like the 2 smokers do in high revs!

Cuz this has bever happened to 2 strokes right? I hate this stupid ass argument the guy on the bike is a top 30 ama pro i believe and gets multiple bikes a year.... this video was staged. You like two strokes? So what.... no need to bash what other guys like myself like to ride just because of jealousy or any other stupid reason. I just bought a 350.... im sure youll bash that but i love the bike and thats all that matters..... i still love 2 strokes but im not gonna hate on em even though id never race one again.

Who bashed you about your bike choice?

Dont get me wrong! I like to ride 4 strokes, I loved the 2012 KTM SXF 450 that I rode on a KTM demo day, and my buddie's 2012 RMZ 250! The 2012 RMZ 250 is the 4T that I would buy if I could afford it, I rode it out at BC and that bike is amazing. I turn faster laps on it than my 125 2T and its much easier to ride! If anyone has a chance to ride the 2012 RMZ 250, do it! Its well balanced, turns on a dime, soaks up the small bumps at high speed with great bottoming resistance, and one hell of a well rounded motor! Just my two cents!

I find it hard to believe it was staged, I think we just got lucky they happened to be filming. It would be pretty difficult to know for certain that motor is just a "few bounces" off the rev limiter away from spitting a rod through the cases.... not likely. Either way that is a heck of way to end the day.

Apparently you haven't been around the sport long. That thing sounded like a cummins pullin up. If you now anything about a cummins, they sound as though they're going to chunk a rod all day everyday. I guarantee it was staged. As already stated being a top 30 pro? If that's the case then he knew as soon as he fired the bike what was going to happen. Heck I knew as soon as I heard the bike. Guarantee this was staged.

4 strokes are garbage. A phase. A CRUTCH! :cool: I'll keep my 2 stroke.n Mine blew up last year..like 400 bucks to fix. Cylinder was shwasted. Good luck rebuildin a 4 stroke for that.n Though my YZF400 sure loved the limiter.

To the person saying stay away from the revlimiter. Thats how some ride. Myself included. This is why I'm back on a 2 stroke.

Apparently you haven't been around the sport long....

...4 strokes are garbage. A phase. A CRUTCH! :cool:

I'm wondering how long you have been around the sport? When 2 strokes first came out they were called a fad. For the record...

4 strokes ruled MX from 1924-1965 then came back in 2006-2011 46 years (give or take a few because of the time they raced together)

2 strokes...1965-2002....33 years (give or take a few because of the time they raced together)

seems like the 2 strokes have a few years to go before claiming dominance...lol

Seriously though, I like both and do not see why all the fuss about which one is better. I do wonder why when making maintenence comparisons and cost, no one ever considers the fact 2 stroke fuel cost twice as much (pre mix), or how they wear out clutches a lot faster, or how the expansion chambers are vunurable and often need to be replaced because of rock or crash damage.

One thing I forgot. All my bikes are run from day one on RACE fuel. Cam 2 or turbo blue. The all got lead in them. Very important for those valves.

That was a 2012 too. Can`t have too many hours on it. Good thing they payout a lot of contingency. Garbage Kawi`s!!!!!!

I'm wondering how long you have been around the sport? When 2 strokes first came out they were called a fad. For the record...

4 strokes ruled MX from 1924-1965 then came back in 2006-2011 46 years (give or take a few because of the time they raced together)

2 strokes...1965-2002....33 years (give or take a few because of the time they raced together)

Seriously though, I like both and do not see why all the fuss about which one is better. I do wonder why when making maintenence comparisons and cost, no one ever considers the fact 2 stroke fuel cost twice as much (pre mix), or how they wear out clutches a lot faster, or how the expansion chambers are vunurable and often need to be replaced because of rock or crash damage.

I've been on the track since 1986.

They were top dog b/c 4 stroke was what was commonplace back then. When the first 2 stroke hit the tracks it took from then til just what? 11-12 years ago to build a 4 stroke that would compete with a 2 stroke and they definitely over did themselves. 4 strokes nowadays are incredible machines. I say crutch b/c a lot of riders who couldn't cut it on a 2 stroke jumped on a 4 stroke and got immediately faster. They didnt have to carry speed like a 2 stroke for corners, jumps, etc... In my 125 days I had no problems running with 400/426s' all day. As well as 450's for a good while. 4 strokes suck.

I love Kawi's but that can happen to anything. That was too cool. Staged or not- this is what happens to these engines from time to time, on any brand. Talk about "time to spend the money".

I will ALWAYS race/ride a 4-stroke. They are way easier to ride with the throttle control advantage over a 2-stroke. I grew up on 2-smokers and don't see me racing anything else besides a 4-stroke (because I'm WAY faster on a 4-stroke...period).

This past summer my buddy and I shared a slightly used 2009 Honda 450. We didn't race it, but put a TON of hours on it. He and I both ride the bike hard and fast. No trail riding only motocross and sx stuff. It needs some TLC this winter, but held up great the whole spring...summer...and fall. I know this is only one example. A 2-stroke would definately needed a complete top-end if the same amount and type of riding was done on it...just sayin.
Jay

True hersh. I said id never go back to a 2 stroke or any other color when I got my first crf250f. Hondas are great bikes. But I found myself on a blue smoker this year and it brings back some fun memories and the 250 doesn't tear my arms off like my CRf 450 that I recently sold.

There is a big difference between a properly maintained 450 and a 250F in the lifespan of the motor. Current 250F's are a maintenance nightmare with high maintenance and a short lifespan of the piston / rings / valve train to keep them running top notch. The lifespan is so short on the complex 4 stroke motor that it costs lots of money to keep one going.......... This makes for more money and cost when compared to a 125 2 stroke from a few years ago. 125's were cheap to do top ends and keep running and people did it all the time. 250'fs are hard and much more costly to do the same thing.

On the other hand, 450's put out plenty of power for almost everyone and don't have to be run at the redline to do so. They can last 2 - 3 seasons on a good piston rings / valve job for the average rider if he keeps fresh oil and fresh air cleaner in them. This makes for less maintenance and longer durability on the 450 that a similar 250 2 stroke from few years ago. I have ridden some of my KTM's for 1000's of hours on the same piston / rings / valve train with no maintenance on them........... I can't say the same for my 250 / 300 2 strokes that I rode the same amount.

Now a major engine failure in a 4 stroke is more costly than a 2 stroke for sure, but how many of us have had a major engine failure on a 450 that didn't also have one on a 250 2 stroke back in the day?

OH WELL

Look at the bright side. His dealer is going to be making some much needed $$ on parts so he can keep the lights on! ;)

Anybody buying new bikes this year yet??

-TJ

Back