Shoulder Surgery, Successful?

kremm140

PR Member
So my situation is… I’m a plus 40 senior rider that just had an MRI come back indicating a 80% tear in my rotator cuff. I’m looking into surgery, but the recovery period (6 months) seems awfully long. I’m guessing there are at least a few out there that have been through this, and my question is how happy were you with the results? I’d hate to go though it only to come out with a shoulder that wasn’t much better or had other problems. Thanks,

I never had rotator injuries. But had my collar bone repaired. Feels just like my other side. Don't regret surgery in the slightest.

Don't know your injury, but I had two complete detachments and one torn ligament. Movement above shoulder high was not possible, pushing in the door on the medicine cabinet to pop the door out was a challenge. Recovery/therapy was the toughist thing I have ever done. and I have had my share of screws and plates.
I am now thinking of having my other shoulder fixed.
I think 40 is to young to have limited movement in your arm.
Recovery is long, but you are as good as presurgery in a few weeks(5-6) in my case. The surgery just gives you the chance to get back to a 100%. the rotator cuff ligaments will not heal on there own, and chances are they will get worse.
Don't wait and think you'll take care of it when you get older, my Doctor did not recommend surgery to older people because they would not finish the recovery/therapy.
Good luck.

I had shoulder surgery on Sept 20, 2011. Tore the labyn off the bone, bicep dropped, and tore ligaments. My orthopedic said if I would have had it done 10 yrs ago when I was 35 or even better 20 yrs ago when I was 25 I would have been much better off. The older we get and the longer we wait the harder it is to recover and rehab because our bodies just dont heal as quickly.

Surgery was Sept 20, NO movement at all for 9 weeks (except the pendulum swings PT taught me). Just had my 12th therapy session (going 2x week) and I still can not put my arm behind my back or over my head. shoulder height to the side & front is all I have for now. Going to continue PT to hopefully regain more movement. The arm & shoulder are both weak, but getting stronger. I have to say I am impatient and I think I should be further along than I am but in reality I am on track. 6mo to 1 yr is average. I had to have mine repaired or I would not have been able to use my arm for anything. Anyone that knows me knows that just will not do. I am very active and do alot of work/lifting/shoveling/moving, etc. It is a personal decision and no one will experience the same thing. Make your decision with an open mind, know that it will be 6mo to 1yr and be prepared for it to hurt. PT is painful and long.

Good luck,
Rae Lynn

I get my surgery date on Wednesday. Tried the cortisone, not working like I wanted. Have partially torn Labrum and several small tears in the rotator cuff. Dr is right with the recovery time. It is about 5 months and do NOT skip PT. If you get frozen shoulder you are screwed. 3 guys at my station had the surgery and 1 did not do what the Dr said in PT and his shoulder is frozen at shoulder height. Dr said my recover should not be as long due to the severity. Good luck. I am 45 and I am not looking forward to it.

Without a complete Rotator Cuff your shoulder is unable to function properly. Your active range of motion will be severely limited as a result. With a tear of 80%, near full thickness, you can be sure it will only get worse (full length tear). The tendons can heal if the tear is slight, but in your case they won't. I believe the choice is easy if you wish to continue riding, or any other physical activities that require your upper extremities.

Chose the surgeon carefully, find one who specializes in shoulder surgery. Next, be dedicated to your physical therapy and take it slowly.

Good luck in your choices!

I had mine done in 2009. I tore the labrum and the cuff. It was falling out of place etc. Anyway, the recovery time was about 6 months. But, maybe your is not as bad if your labrum (the cup that holds the bone in place) is not torn. Let me say this: the first week is nothing less than awful! It hurt so bad. But, I am glad I did it. You will have a lot of therapy, and you will always want to be doing therapy when you have a spare moment. My flexibility in the joint is not the greatest when the arm is behind my back, but other than that and the arthritis that set in I am happy with it. Good luck!!!!

Four years ago I had complete reconstruction of my right shoulder after a third AC seperation. After the surgery I was in the most pain I have ever been in in my life. Did the therapy all winter and was back on a bike at the end of May after having surgery in November. Do all the PT.....as they tell you too. I have full movement for the most part in my shoulder, and it only bothers me once and a while, depending on what I am doing. Sometimes still hurts in morning if I sleep hard on that side. Dr. Nitz at Dayton Orthopedics did my surgery, and has worked on my other shoulder injuries also. He is one of the best shoulder doctors in the state. Highly recommend him.

Cortisone only kills the pain. It's a double edge sword. When it works it's great but it also makes you unaware of your bodies natural response to protecting an injured site...pain. You keep moving and moving progressing the injury more and more without knowing until the need arises for mor cortisone.

I had 2 sets of spinal injections this year...yeah no fun laying on your stomach & felt those puppies on their way in...all the way...including hitting a nerve last time.

Ask your doctor as they often use a cocktail mix of cortisone or other steroids including pain relievers with hopes of getting you both short & long term relief. I think my last
injection was a mixture of 3 different things. First round last February did me some good so went for a second round in July & that one backfired leaving me worse off.

I hate to say it but injections are temporary & don't seem to fix an underlying problem but every case is different.

Now looking at duel sport bikes for poking around back roads as after 2-1/2 years of trying to my back better racing MX is over for me....may go for a KTM 690 but not sure yet as we have a lot of snow to get thru first. Also like the KTM & Aprila Super Moto's but they would not be cozy with the wife on board.

Don't be like me.....Do all your P.T. as I cut mine short for a broken ankle in 2006 as it was difficult finding time to get there & ended up having to go again in 2008.

Good luck to all!
Maico Mark

This really is a great forum. Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to weigh in. Rae Lynn, good luck with your recovery, Firedan, I hope your surgery goes well. Mine is scheduled for January 6th.
Jay

I have never really posted on here except for Sandusky Valley Riders info. But this is interesting, I have broken my collarbone badly several times over the last 30 or so years of riding and recently it caused a major blood clot in my arm. Had to have surgery to repair the clot, and while doing so the doctor removed my whole collarbone (which was basically 2 pieces), then fixed the clotted vein. I am currently in rehab, and the doc says no riding for at least a year. This to me seems exhorbitant. Any suggestions? I have good movement and strength already (surgery was Nov 4). When I asked the doc why so long, he said that of all the people he talked to, they couldnt come up with one other person that has had this type of procedure, so there is no baseline recovery.

As much as we all want to get back riding soon.........I personally think proper healing time is needed. I came back after shoulder surgey. Rode a couple times and went to a race. Cased a big double, first race back....did not wreck but it broke my foot (hows that for luck). So I ended up really for the most part being off a bike for almost a year and a half with two injuries. As we age, if we do not heal properly, we are all gonna be feeling the effects at 60.......that is my fear. I have some issues now that I live with at 42. I hope that at 60 my body is not hurting from a lifetime of being hard on my body.

Just got home from surgery. Torn Labrum fixed but while in there noticed bicep tendon was bad. Had to relocate the tendon attachment point. No pain yet because the block is still working, once thats gone pain will start.

Pain blocks are sweet. Were you awake for the surgery as well, or light sedation? I hope they didn't send you home with only tylenol 3's (tylenol + codiene). Hope you feel better soon.

Don't know about shoulder surgery, but Wife, daughter, and son all had knee surgery. It was all about the therapy. listen to the Doc when time comes, THERAPY! THERAPY! THERAPY! KEY to Recovery...

Just got home from surgery. Torn Labrum fixed but while in there noticed bicep tendon was bad. Had to relocate the tendon attachment point. No pain yet because the block is still working, once thats gone pain will start.
Best of luck with recovery, hope all is well

Hey firedan, you beat me to it. My surgery was scheduled for the 6th, and got pushed back to the 16th. Even thats not for sure (a couple of issues with my pre-op testing). Best of luck with your recover, I'll post again once I find out how mine turn turns out.

Thanks Kremm. Pain block was totally gone by 5am. Very dull aching pain, tolerable. Good luck with your surgery.

Back