is it possible to give this up????

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I started typing this in another thread but figured id make a new one. I dont have intentions of quitting at the moment. It seems like at a certain point why bother quitting. THen again you see it as youre lucky so far..quit while youre ahead.

ive been hurt so much and you cant help but wonder whats next. ive broke i think 16 or 17 bones now, most recent about 4 weeks ago.. had to get 6 pins put in my foot. The thought has crossed my mind to sell the thousands of dollars of stuff (van bike gear parts etc) I have wrapped up into this and go find myself something else to do. but the problem is i dont think i could ever find anything to replace it. and i also look at it in the sense that you can get hurt doing almost anything.. every dr and 90% of ppl i talk to... "why do you keep doing it"... i think in the end id rather know i lived every day happily and to the fullest, than to give up the one thing i truly am passionate about.

motocross is what keeps me from eating chipotle 5 days a week and being a total fat kid, from drinking way more than i should, it gets me to the gym every now and then, and throughout my life has taught me a lot of good lessons and really made me who i am today. without i, i just dont think id have much motivation for anything. i wouldnt work 55+ hours a week to support anything. i wouldnt hesitate to drink every other night, because thats what everyone else seems to do. I'd probably turn into a loser really. I guess its different if your older and have a family to support and such, then I could see hanging up the boots and going that route. But I'm right inbetween that. No marriage, no children, the only thing im really worried about is me myself and I.

Sorry to ramble on and go a little off topic, but ive been meaning to post up something along those lines and hear peoples thoughts. Have any of you ever successfully got away from the sport??? If you're here, chances are you came back. Is it even possible to get out of it??? What have you found to replace it?? I'm not all about the "ride for fun" thing. You can get hurt just as easily, and its just not natural to NOT want to push harder. I think I'd crash pit bikes harder than a big bike all day. Jet skiing, snowboarding, all other stuff I enjoy but just not as much as motocross. And cant even mention all the friends and such in the sport. I think I"m stuck for life. But at a certain point I have to wonder if I should draw the line. My heads a mess, more so right after my latest oopsie. Now I just want to get my bike back in one piece and get this cast off and do some motos lol.

Thoughts? I"m sure many of you have been in this situation and wondered the same thing.

Dang dude I'm in the same boat, I gave it up for 3yrs completely and ended up coming back into. When I came back into I ended up racing and doing half way decent got really serious and broke my T-6 in my back 6 months to recover from that then started riding again broke some bones from then had to have a major surgery on my shoulder which kept me off the bike and out of work for 5 months, finally all recovered from that rode 3 times then broke my scaphoid and have a "showfer" fracture. They want to put a screw in my scaphoid but I cant afford to be off work right now and not have no income. I've had numerous concusions from when I was younger, my head is a mess from that still. I'm throwing the idea of getting completely out of it again but its sooo hard to do. I havent took it serious since I broke my back just ride from fun and don't try to push myself but still wreck and get hurt. I just like the getting away and taking my frustration out on my bike and at the track. I just don't know what I'll do to replace the riding I think thats what keeps me inshape and away from the bars also. My wife and family keep after me to get rid of the bike and move on but its easier said then done. I wear alot of motocross clothes and I don't want to look like some posser wearing moto clothes either. Its a hard choice I guess sorry for the story just sharing what I've went thru.

One of my biggest regrets in life is when i quit riding for 6 years. I quit because of my bum knee popping out and tearing ligaments, and i was 17 and wanted to be cool and drink 24/7. Dont do it. Nothing compares to how much fun it is, not even close. Its youre decision but you know you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ if u do sell everything.

I think about this time to time, but only about when Im too old to do it.That scares the sh!t out of me. I know I will have to cross that bridge when Im 70 some day, but till then Im riding. ha ha. Seriously you have to do whats right for you. If it becomes a distraction in your head, and it affects your riding, then i say hang it up. If your just bummed about getting hurt, just wait to you fully healed to make your decision.If you do decide to get out, then sell everything, give away your gear, and dont keep anything that reminds you of it. And dont go near a track ever again. I think thats the only way to truly quit the sport. Hope you feel better today, and tomorrow.

I have heard the same story from people about quitting my whole riding career ! Only give it up if YOU WANT TO ! If you quit and you arent sure, you will be back ! The way to know you are ready is when you stop asking yourself if it is time to quit and it just happens.

My Dad tried to get me to quit until I was about 32, after that he has been understanding that it is about a way of life for me. He realized that it would be easier for me to quit eating than to quit riding !

Still on the mend, I think about your question everyday!!!!!!!!! I personally have sold everything but my helmets(kept them all) Of coarse my family wants me to forget about the sport, and my riding buddy's want me back asap. Hard question Stacy, maybe take a year off and search yourself, i don't know what to tell ya bud

My advice is to just take it easy riding and have fun. I hardly ever go down anymore because I'm not trying to be the fastest guy on the track. It seems now I dont spend nearly as much money as I used to riding either. I guarentee as soon as you sell your bike you with regret it and want another.

Take some time off. It's winter anyway. If you do hang it up, like J.O said you have to do it cold turkey! I quit when I was 18, just before we were packing to go to Loretta's. I had to make a choice, dad said "we can make a go at this stuff or we can use the money for college" believe it or not I chose college. I was burnt out, engine had blown 8 motos in a row, I had no friends outside of the racing family, I had no girlfriend, crappy truck and had never touched a sweet cold, frosty beverage before. I went to college, took up weight training to fill the void, began a life of sweet succulant beer and chew. I never went to a track, never picked up a magazine, never watched it on tv. Bought a Harley, rode across the country in our little gang wreaking havoc everywhere we went. Went through a few girlfriends and a wife, some trouble with the law,way too many bar fights and beer. 20 years later I am back in it! Every weekend is racing, every trip is scheduled around a race, I spend every waking moment in the man-cave working on bikes and quads, all my HD magazines have been replaced with Moto x mags, we watch every race on tv, we hit Indy every year. So, where am I going with this? What was the question? You will know when it is time for a change, if you are asking us to help you make that decision, it is not time. I never thought I would get back into it, but along came a little mx pilot outa the womb and here we are. I kept my gear for 20 years and tried to put it on at our first maiden voyage to an mx facility called Briarcliff. The Arai helmet was a bit small and ugly, we won't talk about the O'neal pants and my skills had dimenished terribly. I was so outa the loop on technology and lost on the tuning aspects. I felt a bit embarassed about my skills as a rider and as an mx dad. But ya know what, I was home again. There are no better people than mx folks, there is no better way to spend a day with family than at an mx facility. There is no better way to teach a 6 year old competition, respect, sportsmanship and what a way for him to meet new friends. My skills are still diminished as a rider and I am slow, but I still get that pit in my stomach when we line up. My suggestion is, you will know when the time is. Take a step back, don't try to break records and ya won't break any bones. People don't scoff and point if you do not ride as fast as you used to. The day comes for all of us to accept that the reward is not worth the injury. Stay in the sport, it's a good place to be. Just knock it down a notch and see how it feels. I play on pitbikes and now a 125. I had more injuries lifting and from brawls than I ever did racing. Ok, so the 6 year stuffed me a month ago and broke my ribs and a nice 2nd degree burn on my leg. He reminds me every day when he pokes me in the broken cage area. Sit back have a cold one, try some RedMan, grab the clicker and watch some Supercross in just a few short weeks. In just a few months: 12 peeper frogs will start peeping, 11 supercrosses a watching, 10 beers a drinking, 9 tracks a opening, 8 chews a chewing, 7 races a scheduling, 6 friends a calling, 5 days a prepping, 4 bikes a loading, 3 days and counting, 2 $20 dollar bills a spending and 1 opening day of roostingggggggggg! And you thought you had problems. Just remember you are what you are and we would miss anyone that leaves the sport. Celebrate! The days start getting longer on Friday. Have a Merry Christmas and see you at the track! Matt, Jack and Jess.

I kept my bike for almost 2 years after all my riding buds sold theirs, because I was worried that I'd regret it as well. I do have family (not into MX anymore), and would ride the 40+ calss if I still rode/raced. My health is as bad as it has ever been since quiting, my weight is up, I drink too much, but I still have fun, and don't get hurt anymore. I guess what I'm saying is, when you're ready to be a fat, lazy, drunk like myself, just get one of these.....it does give me my fix!

You can always come back for more. Good luck with your choice young man!

Attachments

• 100MEDIA36IMAG0148-1-1.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG0148-1-1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 144
twist it off

staci come and ride stunt bikes with me and fat jeff, ive rode dirtbikes since i was 4 and if i cant twist the throttle on something i think i would shoot some everyday.i got into stunt bikes 2 years ago and can already consider myself a pro, i get paid to ride shows.yeah you can get really fu!ked up but you can work your way to tricks, not just all or nothing on big triples and blind take offs.i still ride twice a week in the dirt but there is other 2 wheel hobbies to take up.me and jeff f. will be glad to add a new face to our decreasing klan.

There is something about this sport that keeps you coming back for more time and time again. I don't know how to quit, and don't have any idea to not ride at any point in my life.... but I have friends that have quit. Most of them that are successful just go cold turkey and stop riding. They sell their stuff, they tune out of magazines, internet, everything that ties them to MX..... and focus on something else that they find enjoyable. Some of them come back after years away, some of them have stayed away forever. It's a personal choice for you and you have to think what you want out of your life and make the decisions to get there, whether that includes MX or not.

nope

I have quit three times in my life. The latest was two years ago, but not one day seems to pass where I'm not thinking it would be nice to ride again. My father is in his 60's and still we talk moto and just the other day he mentioned the urge to get another bike. So not sure if the desire ever leaves us.

Heck I had a buddy of mine endo rough. He broke ribs, collarbone, wrist and his knee cap shattered. Told me "i'm giving it up!" I think less than a year and he was back on a bike and eventually riding all the time again.

So I just don't think that if you love it you will ever give it up. Heck quitting smoking was sooo easy to do compared to riding moto!

thanks for all the responses. right now i dont think i was trying to make the decision of quitting or not, more or less just kicking around the idea. its a thought, but right now still a small one i think. when i had like 4 surgeries on my leg the one year (kind of the same situation as joe bornhorst right now) and had my infection and stuff..i was out for like 13 months. it was horrible.

brandon - i stunted for a while. mostly was big into it while i couldnt ride cuz of the infection crap going on. i ahd a picc line in my arm and coudlnt risk getting it dirty or ripping it out riding moto.. so i did the street stuff. i still got a 600rr but i sold my stunt bike. i got decent in a pretty short amount of time. was just getting circles and stuff when i sold my bike. figured id quit while i was ahead. jeff is prob the funnest person to ride streets with. im down there hangin out every now and then. been at the vodom lot a bit when i was doing it all the time too w/ chizzy and nutter an all them. its fun but that scene got old real quick, too much drama and crappy people around...

its tough because i still think im living a pretty decent life aside from the moto. a lot of my friends that like someone said have the crappy truck and no money for anything else and stuff... its hard but i work my butt off so that i can kind of "do it all".. im still able to ride and put a decent effort into the riding, but still have fun with other stuff (the nice truck, jet skis, etc).... if things were different I think it would be a little easier to give it up, but being that I can still afford to do all the things i want to do... i dont see why i shouldnt do it all. other than all these broken bones and never ending hospital bills.

im sure ill see you all at ramjam or nemx in about 4-5 weeks :) 3 more weeks and my pins will come out. time to start working on a parts list.

i guess itll just remain something to consider.. and i guess when its time its time and ill know. In my opinion, you can get hurt doing anything. I'm sure all the people sitting in the dr office this morning werent there because of motocross.. so I might as well do what makes me happy and at least at the end of the day i can say im not missing out on anything.

Back in april of 2000 I had a bad crash at grumpy valley, and I had a back injury with nevre damage in my right arm and hand. I gave it up for 8 years and was ok with it. The riding bit me and I got back into it. I suffered a couple more injuries since and now I just ride to have fun and race here and there. I will never get out of this sport again! I have to much fun doing it. I think that riding with your buddies and hanging out at the track just shootin the s**t with other riders is the best. I think its good for me cause when your out there riding it has me forget about whats going on in the world. Its like thearpy to me, and I love it!

This is a great thread!!!

I think we all think about quitting. Riding gives me a reason to live. Sometimes, I think about quitting to make better peace in the family - you know and jump on the Disney World band wagon with everyone else in this house. But why? To be MORE miserable? The problem is that when I am not riding I find myself engaging in other activities that are bad for my health - and why? b/c I am simply waiting for the next ride. When I give up MX, it will for a R A C E C A R.

Agree with the comments about it being therapy. Everyone has a bad day... work might be stressful, family, whatever... but on the bike NOTHING MATTERS. I can be in the worst mood in the world and my bike makes it all better. Heck even just once the bikes loaded up and im rocking out on my way to the track im a happier person. i guess that happiness is why i cant really see myself getting outta it!

Its cheesy saying is definitely true.. "bad day at the races is still better than a good day at work"

I'm 49 and still going. I've been at it since '76. I love it. BUT, only recently have I had the opportunity to step back and think about it. My 10 year old son is just starting. He raced two years ago and took last year off for baseball. He wants to race again. I would rather watch him than race than race myself. He honestly isn't that good yet, but he needs coaching. That is the only time in the 35 years I've been envolved in motocross that I actually thought about quiting. I don't think I could ever totally get away from it yet. Mabey some day that day will come, but if he ain't doing it, I am.

After my bad crash in 2005, ( two broken femurs, concussion, severly bruised lower back and hip, and sprained wrist) I quit for about two years or so, did what you did got into the stunt scene and stuff with the crotch rockets but kinda got old real fast like you said, did the ricer car thing with the fart pipes, that was flat out gay... Well here I am back in moto again, I just couldnt give it up even though my parents begged me to.. once you ride it seems like it just in your blood and it will never leave you, I dont think ill everer quit and give it up again, I dont think you could either man lol.. Get that katoom fixed!

Back