Neck Braces???

Ryan Hughes along with Chad Reed are very vocal about not wearing the "bear traps". Hughes`s m.o. is the whole problem these days is riding with the proper technique will lead to safer riding and crashing. Anyone can see that nearly all of his students aren`t wearing bear traps anymore after they have gone through his training.

What satisfying to me today, as opposed to one year ago when Barrington and I made the opening comments about the device relative to its safety, is the fact that everyone was on the "their safer than nothing" bandwagon. But now, people are becoming more informed and making their own decisions about the device. And I'm seeing more equal amount of pro-brace users and those against the usage of the brace. Also people are recognizing "hey maybe they should be tested by someone other than the manufacturer."

I felt like last year everyone was against every comment I made that would assume this wonder device could possibly be a phony marketing kick that may have not been preventing injury to riders.

And finally go ahead and wear one if you want. Wearing it isn't the point I've been trying to get across for the past year...

I do wear a Leatt brace and have for a couple of years. In other posts about neck braces, I've given my reasons for wearing them and why I think that the idea behind them is sound theory of transfer of load to a bigger part of the body. Of course there are those loads that can be transferred to another part and break something else in your body (i.e. all of the spinal injury talk about this issue) caused possibly by the neck brace. I also wear knee braces and they have had the same argument for and against them for years..... wearing a knee brace may cause you to break your leg instead of screwing up your knee.... which is a trade I'm willing to make there. I have same feeling about the neck brace, I'll trade breaking my neck and death for a semi paralyzed body that had spinal cord damage because of the neck brace.

In any case, I've been riding for 35 years and never needed a neck brace in 31 years of riding before they came along. I hope I never need them in the rest of my riding days and it was wasted money. But if it does save me one time from a horrific crash, then it would be worth it.

I also like the ideas behind the new Atlas brace and some of their changes to brace design that take load transfer away from the spinal cord and onto your rib cage and shoulder area. I may get one of those braces to use going forward.

In the end, it's a personal choice whether you believe in the theory of protection they are offering and possible effects of wearing the brace vs not wearing the brace.

While I agree that the most recent past has seen an increase in spinal cord injuries and it coincides with the invention of the Leatte...I also wonder how much of it has to do with the increased HP and speed of the 4 stroke bike and the bigger jumps that go along with it.

It seems to me that the bikes of yesterday couldn't navigate todays tracks with the same speed with the number of riders that do now...

just a passing thought...

Bingo......we have a winner. People are going faster, jumping further, jumping higher than ever before.....and the human body can only take so much impact!

Rob...

I did a lot of research last night and read all kinds of opinions, and there is a lot of them. After reviewing all the information the one thing that stands out to me is that there really isn't any concrete proven 3rd party reviews.

I did e-mail Ryan Dungey late last night. He did want to quit wearing the brace, but couldn't until his contract expired. I'll keep you posted to what his response is, if any.

My thoughts are leaning towards parking the Leatt and considering the Atlas. The one thing that stands out in my mind is these pro riders forgave a sh_tload of sponsorship money from the neck brace companies to NOT wear one. These days everything useally centers around the cash. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that they choose to not take the money for equipment that is billed as safer...

I have been riding for almost fourty years and yes I have broken my neck, at the time there was no such thing as a neck brace. I survived... Others didn't... It really does come down to a case by case question on what type of crash, speed, angle, weight, ect. and truley whats in Gods plans.

Don't take my decision as any form of advise, but I am not going to wear the Leatt any longer. Everyone needs to weigh the decision and do what they think is best for them.

So be it... You choose...

Out,
DF405

i like when doctors talk about products in a positive way. Great share. Also, that picture of him getting landed on was crazy

Rob...

I did a lot of research last night and read all kinds of opinions, and there is a lot of them. After reviewing all the information the one thing that stands out to me is that there really isn't any concrete proven 3rd party reviews.

I did e-mail Ryan Dungey late last night. He did want to quit wearing the brace, but couldn't until his contract expired. I'll keep you posted to what his response is, if any.

My thoughts are leaning towards parking the Leatt and considering the Atlas. The one thing that stands out in my mind is these pro riders forgave a sh_tload of sponsorship money from the neck brace companies to NOT wear one. These days everything useally centers around the cash. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that they choose to not take the money for equipment that is billed as safer...

I have been riding for almost fourty years and yes I have broken my neck, at the time there was no such thing as a neck brace. I survived... Others didn't... It really does come down to a case by case question on what type of crash, speed, angle, weight, ect. and truley whats in Gods plans.

Don't take my decision as any form of advise, but I am not going to wear the Leatt any longer. Everyone needs to weigh the decision and do what they think is best for them.

So be it... You choose...

Out,
DF405

You just stated the most truthful answer "truley whats in Gods plans".

I was one of the first to jump on the Leatt wagon when they came out and just stopped wearing it last season.

The reasons I stopped wearing it:
1. I've been hurt several times that I consider directly related to wearing it. I'm still trying to work my left shoulder back into shape. I've gotten myself over the whole "just imagine how hurt I'd be if I didn't have it on!" thoughts. I believe I may not have been hurt at all without it.

2. I started wearing one purely out of fear and because David Bailey told me to in a video.

I may come back to them, particularly with something like the Atlas brace. We'll see. I think there is a lot of validity to the arguments like Ryan Hughes -- about how people need to learn to ride and crash better, tuck and roll, etc.

I was one of the first to jump on the Leatt wagon when they came out and just stopped wearing it last season.

The reasons I stopped wearing it:
1. I've been hurt several times that I consider directly related to wearing it. I'm still trying to work my left shoulder back into shape. I've gotten myself over the whole "just imagine how hurt I'd be if I didn't have it on!" thoughts. I believe I may not have been hurt at all without it.

2. I started wearing one purely out of fear and because David Bailey told me to in a video.

I may come back to them, particularly with something like the Atlas brace. We'll see. I think there is a lot of validity to the arguments like Ryan Hughes -- about how people need to learn to ride and crash better, tuck and roll, etc.

No offense pit racer but i would listen to David Bailey before i listen to Ryan Hughes

Why?

FWIW, I'm not listening to Ryan Hughes. That's the point, I'm not listening to anyone now, I'm making my own decisions instead of just following along.

i like when doctors talk about products in a positive way. Great share. Also, that picture of him getting landed on was crazy

Just because you're a doctor doesnt mean you're an ethical, good, virtueous doctor.

Just because you're a priest doesn't mean you're good at it.

And the tuck and roll technique has been taught by Gary Semics. It's effective.

Wore one for a few years. Now it sits in a box on the shelf. I’ll let it go super cheap.
But then again I don’t wear a kidney belt, elbow pads or knee braces either.
Just adding my statistic to the discussion …..that’s all.
Carry -on..

The only thing I ever plan to put around my neck is a tie for business meetings, and they had better be damn important at that, and at my funeral. Thats it, thats my rule. I think it personal preference. Is it wrong to wear one? Nope. Should everyone? Nope. I still drive occasionally without a seat belt. Is it wrong? YES. Is it absolutely 100% safe? No. Did I make it where I was going? YES. Life is a gamble, life is risky, everything is. Enjoy the moments you think you have control over, and just ride.

Back