Electric bikes......yea, not in my future!

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
https://www.faster-faster.com/bikes.html

And I really thought 10k for a Factory edition KTM was too much money. Absolutely no possible way that I will ever pay $15,000 for an electric bike. Hell, I wouldn't pay 15,000 for an Electric chevy VOLT.

The only way I can see myself on an electric bike is if I am forced to with the anti-pollution political agenda conitnuing forward that eliminates gas powered race bikes.

You have to wonder, if California outlaws specific lawnmowers because of emissions, 2 stroke Jet ski's etc, then eliminating 4 stroke machines is not out of the question.

Anyhow, $15,000 for an electric bike. Puke. Opinions?
redshift_mx.png

And if your battery takes a dump, its not like a $600 rebuild for a 2 stroke, or a $1700 rebuild for a 4 stroke....what do you think that battery will cost? I'd say 6-10k.....

John250 hit it with the smell and sound. Otherwise it would be boring. Right?

Probably, they do seem very boring and yes I dont see them being cheap to maintain the electrical.

But it would keep pesky neighbors from whining. I've built two sweet tracks in my time to have eff'n neighbors crying the blues every night. Im saying they might be cool to rip around in backyard tracks but believe me it would never take place of a REAL bike!!! lol

You could put playing cards in the fender so they flip on the knobbies to get that moto-like sound... ;)

I dunno. I'm not sold by no means. Heck, it took until 2007 for me to get a 4-stroke MX bike. $15k is a lot, but think of all the stuff you do not have to buy if it works as advertised: gas, oil, replacement motor parts, jetting, etc. Sure, pros and cons to both, but in the grand scheme of things....maybe?

It will have to grow on me. Maybe in about 10 years?.....:)

not a fan! I mean the sport we know as MOTOCROSS contains noisy bikes, smell of that good ol 2 stroke fuel,lots of guys/friends hanging out with a few cases of beer.:D it just wont me the same!

Like it or not, noise and emissions battles are coming. Heck they are already here, and it's only getting worse. I love the sound of MX bikes, but given a choice between no sound and no riding, I'll take no sound.

Give them a chance. There are definitely some pro's to them. From a technology standpoint, I think it's exciting. Love to try one.

I guess if worst comes to worst we can just make a good ol mixtape of bike sounds and just put our headphones on while riding the silent machines

not a fan! I mean the sport we know as MOTOCROSS contains noisy bikes, smell of that good ol 2 stroke fuel,lots of guys/friends hanging out with a few cases of beer.:D it just wont me the same!

Electric bikes, suits, and cafe latte's aren't your style? Not mine either haha.

I read up on these, dont forget the biggest thing, the battery only goes maybe 30 min and takes FOREVER to recharge. and im sure thats just average riding... hard riding or a faster guy would prob kill it in half that time.

"...i remember back in the day when bikes were loud as hell, and smelled great" - that's what we'll all be saying

I am on Scotty's side on this issue. The conflicts between the General Public and our sport are here, now. Have you seen the outlet diameter on a CRF450R? Bikes are toning down. I would be surprised to see electric bikes anywhere near mainstream in 10 years, but maybe 20?

I would love to try one made by someone that actually understands the sport. The few I have seen (pics / videos) look terribly unbalanced. It seems most are based on heavily modified mtn bikes, therefore no baseline on chassis setup or dynamics. KTMs unit looks promising, given their background.

Battery life is going to be the second biggest obstacle, waaaay behind the actual cost to actually design / test / produce / market such a product. Bigger batteries = higher amperage = mo' power. And more weight. Also, you have to consider the environmental impacts (read: dollar value) of actually making a battery and the associated electronics. They contain a lot of "rare" metals that cost a lot to extract and refine.

This is going to make the 2t - 4t debate look like a game of checkers at the old folks home.

The price is insane; the perfromance is not stellar (yet), but think of the possibilities!

1) Ride at your house even in a suburban area. That means walking out your door. No gas, no oil. Throw a leg over the bike and rip!
2) Barely any maintenance.
3) Urban, suburban public tracks.
4) Shred a golf coarse every night for a week! This is a dream machine!

The price is insane; the perfromance is not stellar (yet), but think of the possibilities!

1) Ride at your house even in a suburban area. That means walking out your door. No gas, no oil. Throw a leg over the bike and rip!
2) Barely any maintenance.
3) Urban, suburban public tracks.
4) Shred a golf coarse every night for a week! This is a dream machine!

Although i wouldnt buy an electric bike as long as you can ride gas powered it is a good option for the future if we would ever run out of fossil fuels and im sure by that time they will have a more advanced battery and even better electric motor, the power and torque could be insane! has anyone seen how fast those new brushless-lipo rc cars are now? a 15 min charge time would help out also lol

Hopefully I'll be dead before I have to switch to one of these. I would like to try one but so far what I have read about them is not good. Plus like what was said before. Battery sucks balls on tem and how long does it take to charge?

Back