Injury report this list is getting to big! Ridiculous

Yeah I read this and was not so much suprosed how many people were on it but was more suprised by what the injuries were

Amen!

Bring back 2 strokes!

That's a good point. My 450 would seriously try to hurt me (atleast it seemed that way) when I was tired out on the track riding that thing. Atleast I can still ride slightly fatigued on my 2 smoke and not feel like the thing is going to pile drive me in the ground or rip out of my arms....

I hear that all the time about the 450s. Guess I just dont feel the same way. I dont get near as tired racing the 450 as I did on the 250 2 stroke. I make less mistakes, and feel much better at the end of a moto racing it than I ever did on the 2 stroke.

I believe we get lured into a false sense of competency by the smooth motor and mega HP. on 450’s only to experience the disastrous affects a 250 + lb machine has once that mass gets out of control.

I dont get near as tired racing the 450 as I did on the 250 2 stroke. I make less mistakes, and feel much better at the end of a moto racing it than I ever did on the 2 stroke.

I think that is the problem. All the riders are going faster, longer. In the pros, remember when a few of the top guys would bust something out that nobody else would? Now everyone does the same exact jumps and rhythms, even the 250fs. When someone busts out something different it's usually Stewart and it's something really crazy that we are just waiting for him to eat it on.

In the Amateurs, it's even more prevalent. I know many people that are flying off jumps on 450s that really don't have the entire skill level to do so. On a 250 2-stroke, they would never attempt that because they wouldn't feel comfortable, but on the smooth, easy to ride pig they can do it. Then if anything at all goes wrong, they don't have the skill to recover and have a horrendous crash on a hugely overweight motorcycle.

I've been racing for 25 years now, and have had the worst crashes and injuries of my life in the last 8 years or so. That coincides with me switching to a 450 and going faster than I ever did before. Before that the worst injury I had was a broken finger from tangling with another rider on a 125.

Lets not put ALL the blame on the 4 strokes.

Crashes have always sold tickets. The tracks are getting narrow and built to temp riders to do stupid things.
Meaning combine multiple obstacles, wheel taps.

That wall befor the sand section was an enduro cross looking thing. Not Supercross.

Screw Supercross lets get out doors already.

Long before the 4 stroke crazy there were still lots of injuries even on the local level.

Better bikes today & suspension = more speed & well, the fast you go....the more it will hurt.

I had one friend break his neck by missing a shift on the face of a jump in 1981 yard darting into the ground but recovered pretty well.
Another buddy, Dave Scott who won a LL Expert class in 82 got paralyzed in 83 at Hi-Point in a nasty get off.
In 94 we saw a 16 year old kid cartwheel down a hill at Buds Creek on a 125 with the foot peg going into his heart & ending his life.

Sadly racing as any sport has it inherent risks.

The probleme is the 4 stroke inertia is all wrong...
It only fires once every 4th cycle and hits hard pushing the piston down into the earth making the bike heavier.

What needs to be done is put the spark plug in the crank case and make the bike fire on the upstroke making the bike lighter.

Hussyberg layed it down. Yamaha totaly screwed it up leaning it back.

Invert it and watch it float away. I think Maico did it once back in the old days.

That all might be the case. But I know for myself, I am faster through the corners, and smoother on most jumps now, than I was on the 2 stroke. I personnally like the 450 and the power of it. And really dont think it is too much HP. Just my opinion.

Yes but the smoother part also equates to safer.

Let me throw this one out there for thought ... BMX, Skiing,Skate boarding & Snowboarding ... Look at how extreme these sports have gotten. Look at the injuries incurred in these sports. These sports dont include motors and suspension that has increased the speeds. Why the increased injuries ? My opinion on these is this - people are pushing the limits farther than ever! " If he can do that then I can do it better !" syndrome. The same in mx ! Sure our motors and suspension allows a added comfort but people are pushing the limits more just because they feel the need to.

All of my major injuries occured on 2 strokes. I have been hurt on 4 strokes but less. Why ? I am older and dont push the limits like I used to.

Just my .02

That all might be the case. But I know for myself, I am faster through the corners, and smoother on most jumps now, than I was on the 2 stroke. I personnally like the 450 and the power of it. And really dont think it is too much HP. Just my opinion.

That's because you can enter corners faster by letting the bike slow you down and not having to rely that much on brake control. And you can exit the corner faster because it's easier to keep the power to the ground....aaaannnndd you can screw up and be in 4th gear or any other wrong gear in the turn and the pig will just compensate and rip out of the corner anyway. 2 smoke will fall on her face.

So pit, all these bad injuries you've gotten in the last 8 years....yada yada....What you're really saying is that you're going back to strictly 2 stroke and smaller bore ??? Me to! I like having fun, not getting wadded up. 450 is just too much for me. I love the power, love the endless pull. But I don't need it! Too much risk!

My worst injury was at the season opener at OIR in 2006....hole shot & pulling a little...feeling really good as the track was very rutted & rough...loving
every inch of it thinking this will be my season....about one lap in and subermined the foot pegs in a soft section by the pee-we track turning my left
foot around backwards...busted ankle with plate & 7 screws.....was on a 4 stroke KTM 525 & did not even bobble....only rode straight to the next corner,
off the tarck & fell over. Sucked bad a foot was pointing at 10 o'clock.
Only funny part was girl at ER desk who though I was high & not injured....she apologized later & doctor who wanted to know who drove me in....good
expression on his face when mentioning I also stopped for gas on the way.

Point is I would have had the same exact same injury on a 250 or 500 2 smoker as I did not go down.

Tried to come back that fall & got took out by some kid on the first lap of practice. That had me shaking my head & switched over to AHRMA racing.
Slower & safer? Yeah right as on the old bikes guys are still getting hurt & a few killed but think it is at a slightly lower rate then modern racing.
Old bike with modern Ohlins shocks had me jumping stuff no body would have though about back in 76 so face it technology makes us faster & faster.

Racing is dam fun but dangerous with the sport is constantly escalating with the bike get better every year allowing people to go faster & faster.

Think about how fast C class runs today & the obstacles they clear compared to 20 or 30 years ago when half of them could barely get around the track.

SX is another story as most of us could not make a lap on those tracks...talk to someone who has & let them tell you first hand the commitment it takes.

Even when I was young, I was riding bigger bikes. I was on an 80 at 8, 100 at 10, 125 at 12 and went to a 250 at 17. Rode my dads 390s, 400s and 500s.....so I guess I have always liked the bigger bore bikes.

Almost afraid to post this but I agree with you John. I feel safer on a 4-stroke. I don"t have to have the thing screaming out at 12,000 rpm to clear something. Its smoother and I can use the torque at a lower rpm.

Back