Villapoto and jumping the triple under caution debate

sdjclevland

PR Addict
I found this on vital and every page of the thread is worth reading. There are also pictures that show where rv was on te track when the lights came on.. I guesses rv is claiming he was "committed" but what everyone else is saying is isent every rider on the track behind rv like Stewart committed and everyone else was able to see the lights and roll the jump. Check it out. Here is te link

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-...n-the-Villopoto-red-light-call,1234395?page=1.

Honestly it didnt change the outcome of the race so i dont think it should be a huge deal unless that was the case.

You can triple on a caution at pro events. I thought you couldn't with Plus flags only.

Amatuer qualifiers and regionals, ha...when people see the yellow they go faster and try to make up time! Look at Loretta's in Rockets class where that Kawi got landed on 16 times. There was a yellow, people were still doubling and goin hard through that section.... apples to oranges. Nevermind.

True, it doesn't appear to have affected the race results but if RV jumped on the red then he should have been fined to show that riders need to take the rule seriously.

Steve Bauer started another thread on Vital that talks about getting the scoop from John Gallagher who said RV wasn't fined because RV was committed when coming out of the corner and he wouldn't have been able to slow down in time. To me, that makes no sense since Bubba somehow managed to slow down and not jump the triple? Gallagher's comments to Bauer seem to confirm that RV jumped the triple on the red light.

I think it kind of did effect the outcome cause if James was able to triple he was catching rv and I'm not saying he would have won but there was the possibility. If rv rolled also then it would have been a race for second.

Oh and mooch I agree with you. If you look at the picture on vital, Stewart was able to stop and everyone behind him then there is no reason rv could not stop. I think he is full of it. Isent everyone that enters that corner commuted to the triple?

You can triple on a caution at pro events. I thought you couldn't with Plus flags only.

Amatuer qualifiers and regionals, ha...when people see the yellow they go faster and try to make up time! Look at Loretta's in Rockets class where that Kawi got landed on 16 times. There was a yellow, people were still doubling and goin hard through that section.... apples to oranges. Nevermind.

red flashing lights on the triple face. i posted the picture in the other thread. i guess ill post it here.

dont be fooled, its not a video. its a picture. you can see red lights on top of triple. just above the scrolling names. james followed the rules and singled all three jumps. remember he was closing in on RV, then all the sudden he was 9 seconds back. but i guess when your a monster rider in the monster supercross you can get away with things like that. ama even said dungey jumped on red but was committed. so how is it that RV couldnt get slowed down. beats me.
lightgate.jpg

Isn't the difference that when RV came to it they were waiving the yellow flag, had yellow lights before the triple, and had just then put the red lights on the triple? By the time James got there they were waiving the red cross flag and had all red lights leading up to it. Hence RV going at it under yellow, then seeing the red at the last split second on the jump and not having time to slow down where the riders behind him saw red lights and red cross flags in the corner.

steve mathes had said the ama's ruling was that dungey and villo jumped on red but were already committed. i just dont get how rv didnt have time to stop if dungey jumped it on red. he wasnt that close to him.

I thought Dungey was through there.....RV almost hit the guy. I think the yellow flag waving is why he jumped it. If the red cross was out then he would have had to single through there.

And when do you think he saw those red lights on the top of the jump? He clearly hasn't seen them yet in the pic because he's still on the gas, and it's not like between his current spot on the track and the lip of the jump he has 5 seconds. You realize from where he is at to the top of the jump is less than a second of time?

Look at the lights BEHIND him. Those are yellow. There is also a yellow flag BEHIND him. After he jumped the triple, those lights were red and the flag was a red cross.

I'm starting to wonder if the people saying he could have stopped and NOT jumped have ever ridden before.

This whole thing is worthless point to be arguing about. They added those lights and rules to try to help people from getting landed on after a crash and for the most part it is working as the 3rd place rider and everyone else got slowed and singled the jumps..... in the heat of the battle right as it's happening, you can't change from going to not going for a triple. Dungey and Villopoto were just in the wrong place at the wrong time when a crash occurred and were lucky to not get caught up in it. If a guy crashes right in front of you.... you might hit him and crash too, that's still part of the game.

I'm sure the officials and people who would a***s penalties all looked at the footage and stuff to see if was outside of the norm for Villopoto to jump and they obviously deemed him OK based in all the info they had which is probably way more views than we see on TV.

It's a bummer that James Stewart lost touch because of it and took out a 3 way battle for the lead..... but that's how it goes sometimes in racing.

Between the yellow flag and yellow lights directly out of the turn I'd be on it trying to catch dungey. The rules are always to the flag right ? So if he lands by a plus flag it's legal.

If the flagged had a plus flag the. He's guilty. I just don't see how he wasnt following set rules here. Those red lights 9-12 feet in the air on the lip of a triple don't mean jack when you got yellow lights 30 feet before the lip and down on the ground.

That flagger should of had a plus flag on the lip. Hes not medical so Only asterisk should of been with/close the rider. Flagged needed to be ahead in a safe area to keep the rider "safe."

I still say flaggers should be certified. That's another topc.

Back