When did everyone become religious?

Wow, this thread is really cool. It's an opportunity to go beyond the scope of our passion for riding/racing. After all this is life and it is real. I appreciate the maturity of all the posts in this thread. This doesn't happen often in this world...a place to be yourself, that's what I feel is one of the great aspects of being involved with riding. Their are some very key thoughts being presented in this forum. As stated before, I desire to express my heartfelt faith in this thread, not to preach, this is not a platform for that.

I stated earlier that God used motocross to save my life and how He changed my heart towards people...I would like to expound on my personal testimony a little.

The bible says "faithful are the honest wounds of a friend, but deceitful are the kisses of the enemy". So as a friend, I will be honest. I desire honest people in my life, even if it means HARD truth! As a friend, I don't desire to tickle your ears, but rather to be honest for love of the truth.

So MOTOCROSS!!! I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!

I am 26 now and have been working at Malvern Racing since I was 14 with a couple years off in between. I started as a caution flagmen, then moved to announcer, then to track prep, then all sorts of things to now where I am a key leader at the track. Which to me is an honor and a major responsibility. I also work the summit indoors, the faircross races and am associated with OIR and promote the Malvern harescramble. It's easier too because I love it so much. I am deeply greatful for the friendships I have been blessed with and the honor of favor with the people, and the kids...the kids are great, they really keep me motivated. They help keep me accountable.

I grew up in Waynesburg, about a 10 minute bicycle ride from the track. My family is screwed up...but I love them very much!!! I am a red-headed step child, hahaha! I watched my my step-dad beat my mom, I watched my parents use us kids as leverage towards the other parent, My dad was a drunk, my parents all used drugs. I lived in a battered womens shelter at one point. My mom left us kids when I was 13 or so, one day she was just gone. Moved in with my step-father, he kicked me out for smoking cigarettes. Then moved in with my dad for the first time and transferred from Sandy Valley to Mckinley. My older brother had just been released from the hospital and moved in with my dad, his girlfriend and I. He was at a party early easter morning 2001, where these two kids got in a fight, he broke it up, and a kid sucker punched him to the ground hitting his head on concrete. He almost died that night, was in a induced coma for a while, then had to learn how to live all over, walking, talking, eating, etc. Nothing really happened to the man that hit him due to no one having the courage to testify. He now has constant migraines, can't physically exert himself very much (he used to ride),and is going blind. I had a step-brother who was shot and killed. An uncle who committed suicide on his son's birthday. My dad then almost died due to drinking in the which when he recovered, told my brother and I that we had to find our own place to live as he, his girlfriend and his dogs were moving into a trailer and couldn't afford to be responsible for us. This was right before I started my senior of high school, and my brother couldn't take care of himself. I moved out on my own, and my brother moved in with my mom (she came back later). I was even the odd ball in my family where they often made fun of me, left me alone, and accused me of being gay because I am a virgin. I had no one in my family to depend on. Furthermore, due to all the craziness at home, I was socially awkward at school which lead to me being accused of being gay and constantly being made fun of for three years straight until I moved to Mckinley which was a fresh start (which was culture shock to say the least). They even put a picture in the yearbook of me with the caption "why does everyone make fun of me" (which I don't understand why the school would even allow something like that). Now out on my own, I made bad decisions, getting involved in drugs (which seemed ok to me being I grew up around it), stealing, lying, cheating, using God's name in vain and just all of the above.

So if someone had the opportunity or reasons to blame God and to go down a completely destructive path, it was me.

BUT God has plans for me just like you...he blessed me with motocross. You see, motocross was the constant through all of this. No matter what was going on...being at Malvern Racing took all my troubles away. That racetrack brought and brings the best out in me with out hesitation. I can whole heartedly say God used Motocross to help save my life. He also always had someone looking after me at every turn in life. I didn't realize any of this until after I received the gospel of Jesus Christ.

As for changing my heart...prior to the unconditional love of Jesus Christ, I hated my family and peers...all except for people that rode and at the track, we understand each other in the passion for motocross. Now I have forgiven my family and peers of the past and anyone now a days. I accept everyone for who they are...unconditional love. God has used me and given me many great opportunities to be a light for Him such as writing in the CRA Racing Paper when Chris Jankovich was around, holding benefit races, leading a memorial service for Tanner Stine, announcing, prayer before races, writing in the Akron Beacon Journal, and most importantly just being able to love people. In fact, the greatest two commandments in short is Love God and Love each other and then hang the rest of the commandments on those two. The catch is, without Christ, we have no hope of being right with God.

My dad was just released from the nursing home (alcohol again, but sober now and hopefully staying that way) this past sunday and he and I moved in together. I am taking care of him now. My brother lives on his own in a little apartment, and although my family isn't really close yet, I have good relationships with each of my family members now and am working on bringing my family together. I am looking forward to working at Malvern and other tracks again, working at Kames Sports, going to school for Fire/Paramedic, and then to Bible College at my church to become a preacher.

The craziest part is...on my best day, I deserve hell for all eternity. By grace through faith are we saved through Jesus Christ!

"A life filled with love for the Lord and for others is a fulfilling life." Author Unkown

If you read this...thank you. This is very personal for me, and in writing thus, I am reminded of how much God loves each of us and how wicked Satan is.

what a deep thread. won't get into the religion side of it as i'm not religious at all, but I can say that it takes a lot to post up what you just did. Growing up around a sport that is so expensive such as motocross, I really got to see it all growing up. I was never the kid with the new bikes or new gear. I was always the one wishing i had this or that, and sadly i wasn't even happy when i did get something, i still wanted more. Many people especially younger kids now take everything for granted. They don't know how good they have it, yet its never good enough. I had many cold showers, came home to no electricity, many family issues etc I kinda think I had a pretty rough childhood. But in the end I think its made me a much stronger and motivated person. Glad to hear you are on the right path.

Awesome testimony faithlove617! And for everyone using the word "religion" that`s exactly what God does not want you to have, but a relationship with Him. Find yourself a non-denominational church that just teaches the Bible and you`ll find it`s anything but "religious".

Only peeps using the words "religion" and "religious" are the ones that ain't got any....

Wasn't going to touch this one! Couldn't resist after reading a few (not all) posts, as I am too busy doing nothing.

I have to agree with some of the original posts. I am not an Atheist, and I have been to church, and believe in a higher power. And I do say "Thank GOD" when I really mean it. However "Trey Canard" for example. Great kid seems very likable, and down to earth. But used to be exceptionally irritating when interviewed. He would start this drawn out sermon that had nothing to do with the question(s) and it would be like "If I wanted to listen to a Preacher I would turn on Rod parsley or some other religious TV or radio station." For me it was like "People get it YOU go to church" Not meaning any disrespect, I'm just saying. I am tuned in to watch Racing. And this seemed a little forceful to me. Not like mentioning a sponsor or team. Ect! Ect!

Lately He has definitely turned it back a few notches "Thank GOD". I think he has it at an acceptable level. I also agree it seems like more people are acknowledging the Lord and Savior. and that's actually a good thing, as long as it's not the focus. Gibson, in AX has been giving a shout out, and I have noticed others so its not a bad thing, But you have to be discreet and it should not become the Focus on the podium.
There is a time and place for everything and from the way I understand it the Lord will forgive you if you do not overshadow your interview by simply answering a few questions and talking about the race.

Before anyone goes off about I don't believe or this and that. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and religious choice, My stand on that particular subject is. We are not here by accident the complexity of the universe all the way down to our solar system, the orbit of the Earth, our atmosphere and biological complexity of our planet. to the molecular and atomic makeup of everything is an absolute perfect recipe, and I find it even harder to contemplate, that this amount of perfection was accidental, or a random act, rather than a purposeful creation. Regardless of who, what, or how you label it.

Before anyone goes off about I don't believe or this and that. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and religious choice, My stand on that particular subject is. We are not here by accident the complexity of the universe all the way down to our solar system, the orbit of the Earth, our atmosphere and biological complexity of our planet. to the molecular and atomic makeup of everything is an absolute perfect recipe, and I find it even harder to contemplate, that this amount of perfection was accidental, or a random act, rather than a purposeful creation. Regardless of who, what, or how you label it.

Bingo !

what a deep thread. won't get into the religion side of it as i'm not religious at all, but I can say that it takes a lot to post up what you just did. Growing up around a sport that is so expensive such as motocross, I really got to see it all growing up. I was never the kid with the new bikes or new gear. I was always the one wishing i had this or that, and sadly i wasn't even happy when i did get something, i still wanted more. Many people especially younger kids now take everything for granted. They don't know how good they have it, yet its never good enough. I had many cold showers, came home to no electricity, many family issues etc I kinda think I had a pretty rough childhood. But in the end I think its made me a much stronger and motivated person. Glad to hear you are on the right path.

Thanks man, it has been rough. Ya know, I was like that too, always wanting what you didn't have, and appreciating nothing you do have, that has been many of us I'm sure.

I'm glad to hear your doing well too man. One of the things that took me a little while to grasp is that I am not the only one who had/has it rough. We are all in this together.

There is no point in comparing who had the rougher childhood with anyone, it's the point of relating to each other. Your right about it given you thicker skin and strong reasons in life for sure. Unfortunately it goes the other way for people too which is just plain sad. Keep pressing forward!!!

As for "religion". I am a Christian. I don't like it when someone says I am religious, not to the point of being offended, just that it's not true. I am simply in love with Jesus Christ because He loves me. It is about a relationship for sure. Religion and relationship are two far different things and only one is true.

A Father-Son picture is perfect. If your a father or imagine being one...you want your children to love you. You love them for no reason at all, you just do, it's natural. Next, you want your children to willingly love you, not be forced to or else it wouldn't be true love. You also want your children to heed your word with a respectful fear, knowing that if they don't listen their is consequences but to also trust your word and behavior. You have to love them the way you want them to love you. If you really love your children, you will also discipline them too. This is the exact same way with God, except His Judgement, Mercy, and Love is perfect.

Also, 23mx, have you ever taken showers in the rain? We didn't have running water until I was about 7 I think. We used to get water poured on us once, then soap up, and then get rinsed off, all year round. It was great when it rained, because you actually had a long shower. Summer rains were the best. It was like living in the olden days ya know.

Isn't that cool. Everything has to work together in balance. I am taking anatomy right now in college, I am blown away by how detailed the human body is. Like the eyeball??? So complex! Their is no way it as an accident. Also how would you explain love being on accident? Just blows me away. Creation definetily speaks.

I guess the short answer to the original question is. "whenever it is convenient" for most people. HA! HAAA!

You reach the podium of a supercross I believe you have the right to thank whoever you want. If it's the lucky stars, so be it. Until somebody beats you, then they can thank whomever they want. The spoils of reaching the podium of a supercross. People need to leave them alone and let them air out what they want, they earned it. as long as they're not getting bleeped out everyother word. Kids don't need to see that. I'd rather see Trey up there thanking God, than J'Law cussing out the guy who tried to take him out. Kids are watching, and so are their parents. It's not just a sport for teenagers and 20 somethings.

It is isn't it. He was the first guy to come to mind.

he actually raced last weekend. a gncc or something and smoked everyone. so atleast hes still doing what he loves. so i assume. his FB did say tho that he doesnt plan on coming back to sx/mx. said maybe some of the closer nationals if he can get a good bike.

Jlaw has some manic depressive issues he needs to be treated for. If he could get his head straight he would be alright.

Back