Smith Road

streaks383

PR Addict
I am going to compete in the Ohio Police and Fire Games motocross, this year it is being held at smith road. I have never been there before but I watched some helmet cam videos on you tube. It looks to be pretty flat, narrow and not very many jumps. That is not what concerns me though, in the video I noticed a tree in the middle of the track with a hay bale duct taped to it. Is that still there? What are your guys general impressions of the facility? Thanks.

Smith is not flat. There are trees all throughout the facility and the track changes weekly and winds all throughout the facility. Yes there are some trees near the track but none in the middle of the track.

Yep thats a tree!! Always a great idea,right? That six pack is gone. They appearantly used a quad with a snow plow on it to turn it in to..... well I dont know what you would call it now but appearanty they did the best they could.

From 330 to smith road. WOW, be ready to be disapointed.

You can't run a facility with 0 turnout. It's ashame if they shut down, but can you blame them ??? One of the best tracks in Ohio. Nobody shows.

I would hate to see them shut down... that's the only other track that compares to scenic around here..

I would hate to see them shut down... that's the only other track that compares to scenic around here..

i agree its like racing lexington mid-ohio back in the day, can't understand the low turn outs, it's a great physical long track with fun in one. parking sucks thats all.

i am confused that CRA won't let these track run practice on race day's, that was the problem with area 330 they wanted to run practice and was limited, i look at at it this way most people that just practice don't unsually race any way these track need that extra money to maintain race day's. and OIR should be in CRA, the track want to run races and with these times we need all the tracks we can get, with all the ones we lost.

i am confused that CRA won't let these track run practice on race day's, that was the problem with area 330 they wanted to run practice and was limited/QUOTE]

I think that is part of the problem. I race maybe 1 to 3 times a year. Every other weekend I ride for fun. I have a CRA card but I just think the system is flawed. I had no idea 330 fell victim to this? or is falling victim to this? Its really a shame. If your not in the CRA you struggle to have races bc cost can be rather high for insurance to hold outlaw races. Then when your in the CRA your not allowed to hold an open practice if someone else is running a race. I just think they should reconsider that idea. If im going to race Im going to race. Im not going to say "oh wait so and so is open so forget the race!" I just don't think there is a real good grasp on what riders are doing these days. What is even worse is they are preventing some of there fellow CRA tracks from making money. I cant tell you how many times last year I had intended to give my money to a CRA track only to find out they wernt allowed to open up...so that money went to a non CRA track that weekend.

I've heard alot of other guys on here who had great ideas how to create some incentive for people to want to line up. Question is would the CRA even entertain those ideas? I think in its simplest form most will agree that the cost for racing and what you get back from it doesnt hold the same rewards as it did 10 years ago. It seems to me that maybe some new ideas need to come down the line. Who knows. I just recall Ohio being one of the baddest mx states around and with each passing year it seems to fade a little more.

i am confused that CRA won't let these track run practice on race day's, that was the problem with area 330 they wanted to run practice and was limited/QUOTE]

I think that is part of the problem. I race maybe 1 to 3 times a year. Every other weekend I ride for fun. I have a CRA card but I just think the system is flawed. I had no idea 330 fell victim to this? or is falling victim to this? Its really a shame. If your not in the CRA you struggle to have races bc cost can be rather high for insurance to hold outlaw races. Then when your in the CRA your not allowed to hold an open practice if someone else is running a race. I just think they should reconsider that idea. If im going to race Im going to race. Im not going to say "oh wait so and so is open so forget the race!" I just don't think there is a real good grasp on what riders are doing these days. What is even worse is they are preventing some of there fellow CRA tracks from making money. I cant tell you how many times last year I had intended to give my money to a CRA track only to find out they wernt allowed to open up...so that money went to a non CRA track that weekend.

I've heard alot of other guys on here who had great ideas how to create some incentive for people to want to line up. Question is would the CRA even entertain those ideas? I think in its simplest form most will agree that the cost for racing and what you get back from it doesnt hold the same rewards as it did 10 years ago. It seems to me that maybe some new ideas need to come down the line. Who knows. I just recall Ohio being one of the baddest mx states around and with each passing year it seems to fade a little more.

yes with respect to CRA that i join every yr. and AMA, most people need to practice if they want to race and what better place than on tracks that are in the CRA, practicing at battlesburg which is fun and other practice tracks that don't hold races, your not learning the feel of race tracks. 330 told me that hurt them by not having open practice on a race day.

Smith Road 1978 me #710.jpg
Smith is not flat. There are trees all throughout the facility and the track changes weekly and winds all throughout the facility. Yes there are some trees near the track but none in the middle of the track.

1978 smith road me #710 1st lap one liner but fun.

Classic photo.......I remember when the "rubber bands" were full of Yellow bikes....Suzukis and Yamahas ruled in the late 70s here in SW Ohio.....(and a few reading this are right now scratching their heads asking "what does he mean rubber bands".

Back