Very real threat to tracks and riding areas.

Well, if you got the frack, then freakin lease it. Open back up after the contract with one BA facility. I'll wait! :)

Gotta ask a stupid question. Is this money per acre for them buying the property? Or are they just buying mineral rights and you still own the property?

Nope just a lease. They are reserving the mineral rights for 5 years, with the right to renew, as I understand it. If they dont get a producing well attached to your land in that first 5 year lease, they can loose their rights to the minerals.

Ill be working in carrollton this summer for this stuff. Apparently the company I work turned down most of the work we were offered, we couldnt handle the work load. I stabilize soil for a living, basically we would be building and maintaining the haul roads. A company out of philidelphia contracted us to pick up what they couldnt handle. That company has 30 stabilizers, which is an insane amount. So if they cant keep up with 30 machines, then the amout of work has to be astranomical. Its kinda weird being a part of it knowing how bad it is for the enviroment. Gota pay for moto somehow right?

. Its kinda weird being a part of it knowing how bad it is for the enviroment. Gota pay for moto somehow right?

Can you elaborate on this statement? I am not familiar with it enough to know, but what are the environmental impacts?

www.gomarcellusshale.com is a good site for information, beware of the bloggers, also, ODNR. Landowner groups are the best bet.
Google ALOV and Buckeye Minerals. The cat is out of the bag...areas that have their own water source will be candidates for the gas companies.
It's coming. Fracking uses less water than any source of Power. Water used per BTU: Shale Gas 3 Gallons; Nuclear 11; Coal 22; Oil Sands 44;
Ethanol 15,805; Biodiesel 44,500 Gallons. (US Department of Energy). I hope it’s a win...win dose not effect riding and helps local economies

From what Ive heard, it causes earthequakes. Also can contaminate ground water. Basically they drill extremly deep into bedrock, inject a form of hydrolic fluid to crack the bedrock. So now you have all these cracks in which gas can leak through. Id also think the natural gas could rise up to the surface and be poisonous. I was also to told to watch for a major increase in lime stone prices, since they backfill with it. Again this is all Ive heard as I havent worked on any projects yet to see first hand.

This is definetly hot topic in the area. I don't believe there is any relationship between fracking and earthquakes. If I'm not mistaken, this drilling technique has been used for a long time, maybe just not in this area. I don't believe it is nearly as dangerous to the water table and environment as some people might think, but that doesn't mean I'll turn a blind eye to whatever these gas companies are doing. Whenever there is a large amount of money to be made, everyone should be concerned with what the gas companies are willing to do to get it. I think the only instance where earthquakes have been linked to any of this activity is with Injection wells. These are completely different then the standard fracking for gas. I guess these wells are used to dispose of the used fracking fluid and may or may not produce any gas?

The fracking lets gas and the injection fluids they use leak into water tables. Bad news no matter how you look at it. Do you really want to drink that stuff ? What about all the plant and animal life, do you think its good for them ?

Seriously, is there any way you honestly think that stuff doesnt leak into the water tables ? Do you think they can control what leaks out of the cracks they make in the ground ?

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the truth.

I find the argument that fracking contaminates water wells hard to buy. I am familar with brine, frack water, water ever you want to call it, salt water, horse spit, etc. Now I know, most of the marcellus wells were down pretty deep, say 8000' deep, and they drill horizontally from that deep another 2000' (on average). If they cant have a drill rig within 500' of a residence, then how does the frack water that is injected through a steel pipe (not a pipe with holes in it), but a solid steel pipe, 8000' feet into the ground make it into a water well that is 200-250' deep?? That my friends, I want to know.

Now, if they took the frack water after injecting the well, walked over to your well head, popped the cap and carefully poured 20,000 gallons of it into my well, I might believe it can make it in there, but until then Im not buying it.

My point is that fracking doesnt contaminate wells, how they dispose of it can. If they simply dump it on-site thats a problem. It could leach into the ground and definietly contaminate your water. Most septic fields must be 50' from well heads too. Many villages out east are having engineering folks look at adding on their existing waste water plants, or just simply building new ones to process this frack water. This is the one case where we actually need the EPA. Someone needs to make sure the frack water is disposed of properly.

Those that make that argument offer no facts. Just documentaries by guys like Mike Moore because he wants to sell movies. I don’t believe a word of it. Be thankful you live in a County where you own the ground beneath your feet to the earth’s mantle. Other countries where they want resources they come by with a 50 cal and a pickup truck and leave you in their wake. The gas companies are so bad they are willing to pay you for your land when they can easily steal it from 8 miles away in your sleep and you would never know.

I would rather we harvest our energy here than having a 18 year solider old lay dead in the Middle East. Look out after your own self; you do not need Attorneys; the Government or an Activist to do it for you. I have slept next to a well for 40 years and I don’t have any issues.

These folks are also the same ones who keep us out of riding areas. Because of course Dirt Bikes pose a threat to Federal land. The exact fight the AMA is waging daily.

I find the argument that fracking contaminates water wells hard to buy. I am familar with brine, frack water, water ever you want to call it, salt water, horse spit, etc. Now I know, most of the marcellus wells were down pretty deep, say 8000' deep, and the drill horizontally from that deep another 2000' deep (on average). If they cant have a drill rig within 500' of a residence, then how does the frack water that is injected through a steel pipe (not a pipe with holes in it), but a solid steel pipe, 8000' feet into the ground make it into a water well that is 200-250' deep?? That my friends, I want to know.

Now, if they took the frack water after injecting the well, walked over to your well head, popped the cap and carefully poured 20,000 gallons of it into my well, I might believe it can make it in there, but until then Im not buying it.

My point is that fracking doesnt contaminate wells, how they dispose of it can. If they simply dump it on-site thats a problem. It could leach into the ground and definietly contaminate your water. Most septic fields must be 50' from well heads too. Many villages out east are having engineering folks look at adding on their existing waste water plants, or just simply building new ones to process this frack water. This is the one case where we actually need the EPA. Someone needs to make sure the frack water is disposed of properly.

Well said. Makes a lot of sense.

I think the earthquakes could be possible from blasting. But I dont think our water supply is in any danger being on how deep the fracking takes place.

Back