Knee Braces?

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
What are you wearing and why?

I have custom Cti2 braces but they are shot. The cost now to get them refurbed is more than the cost of a set of off-the shelf braces like Asterisk or Pod.....just looking at options.

I have the CTI 2 as well, I just get my doctor to give me a script for new ones and the insurance covers them. Forget the refurb.

I may be the minority here, but I dont wear knee braces. When I did hurt my knee, it wasnt from bending, but a blow. My dr told me that I shouldnt wear them because they`ll snap femurs/tib-fib like twigs where as if your not wearing them, your knee may give enough to prevent injury to your leg or your knee.. I wear AXO knee pads. Have worn a few different sets of the exact some ones for 10 years or better.. Theyre great because theyre so comfortable and protect well. None of that sliding down crap.. That, coming from a dr, made it hard for me to justify the cost..

I have the CTI 2 as well, I just get my doctor to give me a script for new ones and the insurance covers them. Forget the refurb.

Good idea but I have a high deductible plan so even if prescribed I would have to pay a lot for a new set of Cti2.

Pit, I have a couple pairs of CTi2's before I would not ride without them. Considering I have had two surgey's in each knee (ACL/MCL) reconsturction. Last year a Physical Therapist recommend tring a pair of POD's. Now that is all I will wear! Lighter weight & not as balky with the same support given also they do not mygrate done the leg. I diffently would recommend the POD's then the CTi2!
Both of my boy's wear EVS rs8 pro they like those as well but, they do not have any existing knee injuries

Ive ran asterisk for a good while. I like them, comfortable. I feel weird on a bike without them, probably just because im so used to them. About the only thing i can say bad about them, and im sure other knee braces do the same, is that they destroy the knees on my pants and my tank graphics. Cant really think of anything to fix that.

I may be the minority here, but I dont wear knee braces. When I did hurt my knee, it wasnt from bending, but a blow. My dr told me that I shouldnt wear them because they`ll snap femurs/tib-fib like twigs where as if your not wearing them, your knee may give enough to prevent injury to your leg or your knee.. I wear AXO knee pads. Have worn a few different sets of the exact some ones for 10 years or better.. Theyre great because theyre so comfortable and protect well. None of that sliding down crap.. That, coming from a dr, made it hard for me to justify the cost..

Meister,

Just a thought for you, how many guys do you know that have broken their legs before? Plenty, I assume, and how many of them have trouble with their legs after they are healed? Almost none. Now, how many guys do you know that have had knee issues? And how many of those guys knees are the source of complaints from that point forward, even after surgery to fix them?

I would gladly take a broken leg over a knee injury any day. Once you have knee problems, you always have knee problems............ and neither of mine work particularly well. My broken bones never give me an ounce of trouble after healing, but my knees have never worked right again. I wear CTi's and have them refurbished every couple of years. Not sure on the refurbish cost the last time, but I feel it's worth it to hopefully prevent more knee damage.

There are some pretty good knee braces out now, and one of the most important parts of your body if you are into any sort of athletics. Try to save them as long as you can.

I have Asterisk's. Broke my femur bc of them, and still wear them. I'm on my second paid in 10 yrs. Not to bad. I bought this pair used and saved a couple hundred dollars. They were in brand new condition.

I would go with a custom fit of some sort regardless. I have a set of those I need to get refurbed, but they are still better fitting for me than the off the shelf Don-Joy's I tried and sold on Ebay. Still have a right or left I need to get rid of. I will never wear it.

I'd be interested in where this thread goes and what you decide Pit.

I'm with Rocket, my broken bones are good, but my jacked up joints...well, they are all still jacked up....

I have owned EVS Carbon, EVS RS8 and Asterisks. I will sell either of the EVS but by far Asterisks....offer better comfort and protection. The brand new Asterisks are supposed to be even better. The Pods look like the same setup as EVS Carbon.

Refurbishing of the CTi's are to get them back to brand new condition, no matter what the current state of the brace is. I've talked to the CTi rep before and had him tell me that if they are really beat up and in poor condition, they will re-make them 100% from scratch as needed to get them working perfectly again. And I have had that happen before, at the cost of $250 / pair (about 5 years ago) I ended up with 2 brand new pairs of CTI braces after sending them in. But I think I paid about $380 to have them refurbished just over 2 years ago the last time around. I think I can get this season out of them again before needing another refurbishment over next winter. I do not know what the current refurbishment costs right now.

Last time I got a quote it was $250-300 per brace for refurb.
So that's what has got me checking around -- thinking maybe some of the new braces are actually better anyway.

I've used these since 2004 and never had anything done to them. I noticed last weekend pieces of one of the hinges were falling out, starting really going over them and they are really beat and sloppy.

I called them. It's $125 for 'soft' refurbish or $210 for FULL refurbish. Per Brace, not including new knee cups. So it would be about $500 for me.

I was using my Asterisks for several years. I like them a lot. Wouldn't ride without them.

If you are set on getting some new MX braces stop by Iron Pony and try them on, the ones I tried (POD, Astriks, TLD) just didnt feel natural. I got measured for a custom brace, then went online to thebraceshop.com and ordered an over-the-counter CTi brace ($400) and there is a world of difference. Was def. the right choice for me.

everybodys knee is different so the customs are what I prefer. I had asterisks and now cti.... I had a problem with them migrating down my leg a little but I asked Jgibby about his and he said he tightens the bottom strap rly tight and tightens the top of his boot around it tight.... since then they havent migrated once on me. I bought my first pair of braces as a preventative measure and they worked, definately saved my knee in my crash in 10. Its already been stated, Ill take a broken bone over a fubared knee any day of the week.

Son has EVS WEB carbon fiber, they are the next to last generation, I think.
They are a little bulky and will shred a set of shroud graphics in the first day but after ACL and meniscus surgey on knee. We Purchased and have never had a problem. Wish we would have purchased ahead (hind sight and all that!!!)

Why EVS? Sponsored by them. They have good products, although the web may seem little hefty for this particular brace, it is nothing in comparison to having the knee injury or costs associated.

Evs has the Rs8 pro which is slightly less $ and seems like it would still do the job.
Whatever you choose keep in mind "it needs to do its job" Some of the lesser expensive seem like a waste. Might as well wear a set of Knee pads and an Ace wrap...
Good luck.

Back