Knee Braces?

I wear the asterisk knee braces, both of my knees are pretty loose and without them braces I wouldnt be riding today, they fit good, and are comfortable

I have torn acl's in both knees and not much cartlidge left I have had a sprain or 2 but without them I would have been hurt much worse one time the bike went out from under me and all I had planted in the ground was 1 foot. I felt the brace grab my leg and keep it from getting hurt alot worse that it was (I did get a minor sprain, 2 weeks off I was back at it

I quit racing in 92 because of my knees and then there want much to choose from brace wise so I quit now I am riding and other than rust and conditioning I feel good, I dont think of my knees too often

I am 43 yrs young and with there pups on, I hope to go till im 53 !!!

I'm like Meister. I don't wear them. Never had, and probably never will. I've had knee tweeks here and there before and it's healed. I'm 49 and just can't see myself plunking down ~$400 for overrated knee pads. I wear Fox knee/shin pads, cut off right above the boot. I got VERY big legs and it's all I can do to get the boot straped with just socks on.

Pit,

I have a pair of barely used Large Pods carbon fiber knee braces I got 3 years ago. Did did not use them much as they hooked on the old Maico coffin
tank & have been off injuired anyway.

May sell them if you are interested....like new 200 bucks.... if you want stop by & try them on or pick them up and go them for a test ride to see how they feel.

Maico Mark

everybodys knee is different so the customs are what I prefer. I had asterisks and now cti.... I had a problem with them migrating down my leg a little but I asked Jgibby about his and he said he tightens the bottom strap rly tight and tightens the top of his boot around it tight.... since then they havent migrated once on me. I bought my first pair of braces as a preventative measure and they worked, definately saved my knee in my crash in 10. Its already been stated, Ill take a broken bone over a fubared knee any day of the week.

The easiest and most comfortable way to stop the migration is to cross the lower straps in an x. So take the top strap and put it through the lower buckle and vise versa. You dont need to tighten them so much and they dont move at all. The CTI rep clued me in on that one.

The easiest and most comfortable way to stop the migration is to cross the lower straps in an x. So take the top strap and put it through the lower buckle and vise versa. You dont need to tighten them so much and they dont move at all. The CTI rep clued me in on that one.

X2, works great.

Yeah I do the same thing, read it in MXA years ago.

Also I pull the knee sleeves up far, then flip the top over the top of the knee brace. I was having problems with the sleeve sliding down and wadding into a ball above my knee.

I think knee braces are like neck braces.......everyone has an opinion on them. I have tweaked my knees alot, and no real issues. Have one that if I bump it on the bars hard it will swell and sore more than the other. I personally would NOT want to break a femur. I have heard nothing good about that injury, and know three people that have ALL re-broke the same femur after it healed. That tells me that that is an injuryl, you just dont want. All wear also wearing braces whem they broke their femurs. So no braces for me......

I think knee braces are like neck braces.......everyone has an opinion on them. I have tweaked my knees alot, and no real issues. Have one that if I bump it on the bars hard it will swell and sore more than the other. I personally would NOT want to break a femur. I have heard nothing good about that injury, and know three people that have ALL re-broke the same femur after it healed. That tells me that that is an injuryl, you just dont want. All wear also wearing braces whem they broke their femurs. So no braces for me......

I broke my right femur and also blew out cartilage in my right knee last may after have a pretty scary get off and lawn darting into the dirt. My femur broke exactly at the top of my brake (asterisk). After having a rod and screws put in and also a microfracture surgery to try and repair my knee cartilage I'm finally hoping to get back on the bike in a few weeks. I would say my leg is still only %70 almost a year later. I think I still believe I was better off wearing the brace, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I wasn't wearing them. Before this accident I would never ride with out them.

The Lotts' crew has a variety. I have CTi's that I just got from my insurance due to tearing my ACL, no I didn't have braces on when I did it. I love them they feel great. Allan and Ashlee have Pods and they love them. I have wore them as well and would have gotten them had I not got a prescription for CTi's. Rachel has asterisk, she likes them. Ashlee and I both have thicker legs and we cannot wear them, they pinch us to much. Ashlee did break her femur with the braces on, but will continue to wear them. The trauma unit at Rochester Memorial hospital said a broken bone was much better than a messed up joint any day.

HOLY ****!! that is the greatest idea EVER!!! Dont know why I didnt think about that but good call... Ill try it out sunday at redbud

The trauma unit at Rochester Memorial hospital said a broken bone was much better than a messed up joint any day.

Yep. The only broken bone I've had that I still even know happened was my left little finger and that is because it is crooked. Every other broken bone it's almost hard to remember which one it was. On the other hand, there is not a waking moment that goes by that I don't know for sure that my right knee was the one that had torn ligaments in it....

What are you wearing and why?

I have custom Cti2 braces but they are shot. The cost now to get them refurbed is more than the cost of a set of off-the shelf braces like Asterisk or Pod.....just looking at options.

Get a prescription. Does your plan pay for medical equipment ?

I bought a pair of XO skeleton knee braces in 04 for like 100 bucks off ebay, they were like 699 retail I guess. I still wear them today. They fit me superbly. I don't even think they make them anymore!

The main reason I " retired " from riding in the early 80's was due to a torn up knee . Even after much therapy and exercise it was just too loose and would buckle . Not too many braces available back then and my doctor didn't believe in them . I am riding again because of an EVS knee brace . A lot of friends have had broken bones in the last couple of years ( femurs ,tib/fib , vertebrae , etc. ) . What we are finding out is that their bone density is lower than it should be . A lot of things can contribue to this ; smoking , age , diet , physical activty level , and probably much more . I'm considering having a bone density test but am not sure I really want to know .

Back