Smith Rd Raceway

Zman

PR Addict
Anyone else see or know about this? A friend saw this somewhere and sent me a text. Hope this does not go through. Would love extended hours at the track.

Also, why is my picture not on the front of this flyer? lol...hahah!

photo.JPG

Loconn and beechwood both went to the wayside shortly after "citizens" started complaining .......

i suppose the people arent putting up a sign with a giant train on it to complain about that huh? I thought they could open as much as they want since they are grand fathered in. I get you cant be riding there everyday, but twice a week at most i mean comeon. Peole are crazy.

you are correct our zoning is in order
i suppose the people arent putting up a sign with a giant train on it to complain about that huh? I thought they could open as much as they want since they are grand fathered in. I get you cant be riding there everyday, but twice a week at most i mean comeon. Peole are crazy.

Sadly nothing new as I am guessing the complaint is mostly about the noise.

In a way you can't blame a home owner for not wanting to listen to the racket as the noise from today's bikes carries very, very far & to be honest most 4 strokes
are annoying loud as who these days does not have a aftermarket pipe & silencer on them.

If you ride it is one thing but if you don't you would hate the noise also.

I blame the AMA as they should have had the bike quieted down many years ago to a respectable level as a lot of good tracks are gone forever.

2 strokes are loud up close but don't carry for miles like the thumpers do.
4 strokes also can be quite as I had a 2003 KTM 525 that with the stock exhaust fairly quite.

The time for the silencer technology to move forward has been needed for as long as I can remember.

Nothing new just another track in the sights.

So were other tracks that were closed down. Dont let that give you comfort!

Indeed, I can maybe find the court order again for at least one
track that got shut down in the past few years.

The new owner can do as he wishes but change, especially
when it impacts others' real or perceived use of their property,
will only cause problems. And those problems could cause
the new owner to spend a lot of money or close the track.

As an oldtimer that would love to see my kid continue to race
at Smith Rd. when he's an oldtimer, I'd counsel against increased
hours of operation for the track.

I'd also suggest that the problem that the locals will be complaining
about can be mitigated by stringent enforcement of SAE J1287 or
something similar at a level that is easily achievable - the same
as FIM GP bikes (and MXoN) for instance. I think it's 92dBA but not
sure. It was impressive at the last MXoN I went to how fast and
quiet, in comparison to modified bikes at the local MX, the international
guys were. And even better to see the 'merican's beat up on them.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

"A nearby resident, who is a professional fire fighter, indicated that CO2 readings in his home, as a result of exhaust at the track, reach dangerous levels. So there is much more at stake here than a couple of "complaining residents."

Wow. What a joke. That is like taking a piss in a hurricane. Hard to measure it!

"A nearby resident, who is a professional fire fighter, indicated that CO2 readings in his home, as a result of exhaust at the track, reach dangerous levels. So there is much more at stake here than a couple of "complaining residents."

Wow. What a joke. That is like taking a piss in a hurricane. Hard to measure it!

LMAO! I'm depending on this guy to get me out of a burning building? At what level is CO2 "dangerous"?

His co2 is probably high cause him and his family probably took 20 dumps in the house that day and was farting too much lol. I think the sound check is a good idea if that's what it takes. I think tracks out west do that already

The thing to remember here is right or wrong has no meaning ! If it goes to court do the new owners have or want to spend enough money to win the battle......

I know first hand it can get expensive in court.... Had to lawyer up to the tune of 4 grand to defend our small playtrack for pitbikes last summer. Had to actually testify and explain the difference in our race bikes and play bikes. Funny thing is, our attorney called us before X-mas and wanted to know where he could buy a playbike for his grandkids.

We won in court and are able to ride our track as we please.

IMO making this subject a public forum spotlight is not good. Let the track owners and the homeowners handle this privately. We are doing just what the homeowners want, spreading the word, as you might say. You can bet there are lurkers on this board!! Once again just my opinion.

So basically you guys think everyone should just stick their head in the sand and pretend it's not happening? People are posting flyers around town concerning a track that we as motocrossers ride at and support. Everyone wants to control the news. You can't do that. News is news, there is good news, and there is bad news.

There are articles about this in the paper, flyers being posted around town. And somehow we are supposed to not see that posted on here? Spreading the word is exactly what Smith Road needs -- people can try to help out, show their support, etc. Not hide from it and leave the owners hanging on their own.

Maybe the dreaded "lurkers" can read this thread and see how much good having a track like Smith Rd. is for the community. Providing a great family place to safely ride and enjoy with their children. All the supporters of Smith should be replying to this thread talking about what this track has meant to them over the decades it has been open.

I know for me Smith Rd has had a giant positive impact on my life as a young man, growing up learning the value of being responsible and participating in a sport like this.

I'm sorry, I just still get amazed that in 2012 people want to try and control the Internet.

Who's trying to control the internet??? Realize there are more non mx'ers in society then riders!!! The dreaded "lurkers" are for going to convert over to motocross now after reading how good it is for the community.

Who's trying to control the internet???

Ummm, you! Then Hartney agreed with you!
Unless I am misunderstanding the part about how this should not be on a public forum.....

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just sayin.....it's posted on Facebook, it's posted online in newspaper articles, there are flyers around town.....and suddenly the biggest part of the issue is that it's posted here on PitRacer? C'mon.

I agree, post away on here ! Spread the word to riders who dont know or understand the problem! As Pit said, it is being spread around the community in an effort to shut the place down or at least control it. The more support they have the more rider support is needed as well. Not to get angry and fight but to inform and educate. Seems to me this is a family sport that helps many young people to learn better ways to spend time than getting into trouble.

Back