Malvern Harescramble - Sunday May 13th

MalvernMX

PR Addict
Hello Everyone! It's that time of year again for the annual Malvern Harescramble. The same guys; Jarrett and Curtis will be laying out the course and putting their best effort forth. The goal is a fun, flowing course. We will use almost the entire motocross course. This year the track will be a little more open than recent years. Weather forecast is looking perfect, gonna be awesome. Thank you to all mothers who let your boys race this day. Happy Mothers Day!!!

FLY RACING / BUCKEYE SERIES!!!!

330-412-4334 or 330-465-4147

Gates Open: 7:00 AM

Mini Bikes (Trail, 65cc, Jr.& Sr. Mini Bike) 9:00 AM

Big Bikes 10:00 AM

PW & MQ 12:30 PM

Big Quads 1:30 PM

Free Camping Saturday Night

Gates Open: 7:00 AM

Mini Bikes (Trail, 65cc, Jr.& Sr. Mini Bike) 9:00 AM - Race for 45 min.

Big Bikes 10:00 AM - Race for 2 hours

PW & MQ 12:30 PM - Race for 30 min

Big Quads 1:30 PM - Race for 1 1/2 hours

Thanks! Weather is still looking good!

seeing as im more of a track racer only i dont know much about these hare scramble's so sorry for asking so many questions but do all big bikes go at ones or are they stagger started ? and can u do a track walk or anything to see what the track is like?(woods section)

Bikes are staggered by class, usually Money Bike, then the 200 class, and then all the others with Woodsman usually at the end (dead engine start). There can be just about any amount of riders in the classes though, the last harescramble has 46 riders in Woodsman. Last year I think the lap times were running around 10-15 minutes, the race is 2 hours. I'm almost positive you're allowed to go walk the course, as I have just to spectate, but the video on the other thread was a good example of what you're looking forward to, even though the course always changes. As for riding a 125, that can go in the 200 class (I know that for sure), and most likely Woodsman and the age classes.

seeing as im more of a track racer only i dont know much about these hare scramble's so sorry for asking so many questions but do all big bikes go at ones or are they stagger started ? and can u do a track walk or anything to see what the track is like?(woods section)

I'm thinking oif coming out just for the workout. Don't worry too much. These are much less intense and more leisurely than MX. If you start running it like an MX race, you wont last very long. They usually do cold starts, holeshot means nothing, cruise at a comfortable pace that you can maintain for two hours, and each lap you will pass through a scoring station, usually split up by barrels and you stop next to the barrel marked with your class momentarily until they signal you go. When 2 hours is up, they will flag you at the scoring barrels. The only other thing to worry about, especially as a newbie is that if somebody comes up behind you that is runing a faster pace, just give them room to pass so you're not holding back faster riders, especially because they are most often not even in your class. Its a lot less hectic than MX because you know what time your race starts, and when you are done, you are done. Everybody should try one!

With 10-15 minute lap times, If you want to walk the track, you are looking at a pretty long walk, though. Most guys just figure it out as they go. Like I said, its not like MX. If you find a section you arent sure about, you can even move to the side wand watch a few others hit it first.

As for setup, on a bike, low gearing helps, but not much more than that to worry about from your track setup. Displacement, and performance mods have little value, unlike MX.

Back in the day, alot of tracks would send you on a sighting lap before the Hare Scramble started so you get a preview of the track. Anybody do this anymore?

The only thing I really worry about is how muddy it may be. That can suck the life out of you very fast. Get stuck in a mud pit or fall a few tunes with a mud caked bike and it's not fun Plus some mud is like I've. You wrestle your bike the whole race

Speaking of mud? How is the course looking is it very muddy?

Back in the day, alot of tracks would send you on a sighting lap before the Hare Scramble started so you get a preview of the track. Anybody do this anymore?

I don't remember any of the tracks we went to last year doing a sight lap for the big bikes, just the minis. And you can probably tell how muddy it will be by looking at them. Anyways harescrambles are nice for me because it's so long and there are so many people that I don't tend to worry about what place I'm in, unlike MX..

Weather update?

thanks for all the help guys i myself will be riding a 250 2 stroke my friend is riding the 125. im excited about this hare scramble sounds pretty fun

Well harescambles are a whole different ball game, I race C class in MX also, but I'm not competitive in HS. If you never really riden in woods then I would say the Woodsman class. Like MX it can be filled with sandbaggers. There is also a 4 Stroke Bike class but I would say that is a bit more competitive. Ask the sign up ladies, they would know best. I've mostly been on the sidelines, not even sure if I will be there :(. Good luck!

Hey guys! Sorry for being late to check in, been busy working on the course. First off, Case 819, I would recommend woodsman for beginners, but there is always a bunch of riders, if your not concerned what place you get but want a clear track then enter the 250 class. Go out and have fun, just be focused on keeping it on two wheels and finish the race, set a pace.

As for the track, it is coming together well. Lap times will be 8-13 minutes, we lost a section that we can no longer use. We have two option uphill sections. The track is open in places and tight in others. Their is quite a few downhills, we also have some fresh terrain. The layout is totally different than anything we have done. The course is in really good shape right now, all dry with a couple of puddles here and there that would take days to dry up with no rain in the heat of the summer, they are just in shaded areas. I would say 90% of riders would have no problem completing the course. The mx track will be prepped and watered as necessary.

Weather...tomorrow is gonna be awesome. Sunday, according to accuweather.com is looking cloudy and 72, with a possible thunderstorm around noon and then at 6pm. We will prolly water light, but the mx track itself is bone dry, it will need water. I think it will be desireable to fair conditions all day, but ya never know. Just show up and have some fun, this will be our last harescramble race.

Heres the final scoop...Mini track is about 2.7 miles, Big bike/quad track is about 3.5. The course is completely dry with some puddles of just shaddy spots in the woods. The big bike/quad track has one tricky downhill which can be cut if their is a problem. Weather forecast shows dry with a t-storm possible around noon or 1 then again in the late afternoon. We are going to water light in the morning. We should be good with that with overcast skies and 67 now. A great day for riding.

today was a blast im going to do another hare scramble for sure. and thanks jared for loading my bike up in the bobcat and putting it in my truck lol. brappppp

Back