2013 Red KTM.....

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
....errrrr I mean Honda.....

Can't believe they are going the dual exhaust route again.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/FIRST-RIDING-IMPRESSION-2013-HONDA-CRF450-8978.aspx

Honda1.jpg

Tick tick tick bang bang BOOM.

Honda feels they have reached a "price threshold" on their bikes per Racerx. Hmmm. I am impressed at the changes that are realized on this model without increasing the price. It does look nice. How will it actually work?

I if ever got a 4 stroke again....it will be electric start KTM 250...their sweet looking bikes plus did I mention electric start ?

When I read in the first paragraph he thought possibly honda was bringing the 2 stroke back I immediately already started turning the " Yz 2 stroke for sale" gears in my head.

How nice would it be for the manufacturers to release ground up 2 smokes. On the other hand that 450 is sexy. I'll take dually pipes anyday over a loopy disaster and airbox swap the yamahas have anyday!!!

What do dual pipes really do for you though? That's my question. They make a big deal about the weight savings of 1.7 lbs by not having fork springs, but then they put another huge bazooka on the back? If you read the entire article they say that it actually sounds louder than the single.

Didn't gain weight too, overall? I thought one of the mags (DB, MXA, RacerX) stated taht it gained close to 2 lbs overall?

Honda's original goal on the 250F dual system was mass centralization, not noise reduction.

The springless forks seem really cool. I'd love being able to use a bicycle pump to adjust forks day to day.

Pit I am with you. Dual exhaust do NOTHING but add weight, expense, and more to fix in one of those bad crashes. For how many years have we been just fine with one exhaust. Can you imagine how much a after market system is going to cost you for one of those bikes??? Dual pipes would keep me from buying one.

I am sure there is going to be an aftermarket single slip-on, but then you have a side plate sticking out with nothing under it. That might look weird.
Maybe in about 4 years Honda can try the 4 spring clutch on the 250f, It might work better in a couple years.

dual pipes are really the only turn off on it to me. ive crushed a lotta exhausts in half in my day lol. i dont need to double that each time

I think your foot cost you more than the pipe.

The article said the dual pipe just brings the weight to the center of the bike. Yes, I agree I hate the dual pipe setup. They also said it would be difficult for an aftermarket company to make a single conversion with the 13 because of how they have the dually thing mounted. . .

Still any pipe setup is better than the new yamahas. They need to fix that.

The springless forks seem really cool. I'd love being able to use a bicycle pump to adjust forks day to day.

Not sure that you could, or would want to...straight air would heat up and make forks stiffer during the race. You'd likely have to carry nitrogen with you since its more stable. I learned about that when they tried it in the 70s.

Back